This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VFR vs IFR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akamoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VFR vs IFR
    Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 12:58pm
What is the difference between these two,

Is there any significant difference between compiling a flight iVFR or IFR mode..?

Thanks
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 1:57pm
VFR is "Visual Flight Rules" where the pilot has a "restricted" licence that only allows them to fly based on visual references and landmarks and only in weather conditions that allow them to see where they are going.

IFR is "Instrument Flight Rules" where the pilot has been trained to use the navigational instruments of the aircraft and can fly in all weather conditions; including those where visibility is limted and navigation by instruments is the only way to get where you are going.

In FSX, VFR flights are usually referenced by ATC using the aircraft tail registration. So you would hear "Cessna ABC123, turn right heading blah blah blah". IFR flights in FSX are referenced by ATC using their IFR Flight Number. So you would heard "Speedbird 1123 Heavy, turn left heading blah blah blah".

If Traffic X, you must give IFR flights a flight number. If you forget to do that, then you will hear this "Zero, cleared to land" (where "Zero" would be what FSX uses as the IFR flight number).

In FSX, apart from the way FSX's ATC references the planes, there is no real difference between VFR and IFR.
apollon01 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollon01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 4:17pm

Now this is an interesting point...

I have not played around with this but I was actually convinced that the VFR / IFR field is there primarily to accomodate the flights to the weather conditions - like if the conditions are not VMC the VFR planes do not fly.

Will check this tonight.

Milan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:39pm
Well if that were true then it would be great and really add to the realism.

However, I'm pretty sure the VFR planes at my airfields always takeoff at their assigned takeoff time, regardless of the prevailing weather conditions.

That said, there have been times where IMC conditions (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) are present - IFR in other words - when I thought a plane was due to taxi and takeoff and it didn't do so. So I have had similar thoughts that perhaps the VFR setting determines that they will fly only if the weather permits. But, in these cases, I believe I just got the schedule mixed up in my head and the plane probably wasn't due to fly out at that time after all.

Note that if the player flight plan (your flight plan) is a VFR flight plan and you are at a controlled airfield (one with a tower) ... and the conditions are IMC around the airfield ... then you will be told by the tower that you cannot fly your VFR plan. You would be given a message such as "Negative, airport is closed for VFR traffic at this time" or something similar. This only occurs at controlled airfields; you can always taxi out and takeoff at uncontrolled airfields.
apollon01 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollon01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:03am
Hi again,

So... I set up IMC conditions (heavy rain, fog, and visibility of 1/2 of a mile) and...

...the AI VFR traffic was happily taking off (!!!)

Now I have to say I am a bit (a bit more than that actually) surprised.

I suppose it is not a big deal to get this right in a next patch for TrafficX?

Can we have here a statement from JustFlight sutff please?

Milan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 10:40am
I don't think this is a Traffic X issue. I think it is simply that FSX hasn't been programmed to care what the conditions are. Traffic X merely sets flight plans, FSX does the rest. If FSX hasn't been programmed to consider VFR versus IFR for AI, then that would mean the AI will fly regardless of the weather conditions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic