This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Insurance
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 12:55pm
You'll be upset, I warn you.

Guess how much MatinW's car insurance was?

Fully comprehensive, with NCD protection and legal protection. £125 excess.

£131

mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:01pm
Excess almost as much as the premium? Must be a noddy car .
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:03pm
I got mine for £219 fully comp with legal protection, free hire car if I have an accident, NCD Protection and a £150 excess and I'm only 25 Thumbs%20Up

My secret - I rung them up to cancel my auto renewal and told them I had a rival quote for £180 (a total fabrication) and they got in a fluster and gave me the best deal they could. Previously it was almost £300 3rd party for the same car.

However, I'm buying a better car this weekend so I'll have to see what happens to my cover after that.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:05pm
The excess is pointless really, the car is only worth a couple of hundred. One small scratch and they would right it off anyway. Can't pay the excess for repairs when the things in the crusher. Damned if i'm paying more for the premium than the cars worth.

Can you buy me a new 'posh' car please?
mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:06pm
Why get fully comp then UM?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:07pm
Ras thats an amazing deal at your age.

I did the same thing with the quotes only mine wasn't fabricated, the AA were pretty cheap but Swinton panicked and suddenly summoned up a cheaper quote.

I do have my wife on the car as well, but how did you manage to get it so cheap at your age, that's very surprising.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:08pm
Good point Mutley, I didn't think of that, force of habit. Oops!
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:14pm
Nobody was more surprised than I was, I nearly choked when they quoted me that price for fully comp. Fortunately I've just got my four years no claims bonus back. The only claim I've ever had to make was when I was 21 and my car got broken into in the Park and Ride carpark in Cambridge even though it was directly under the CCTV cameras. Losing my NCB for that was a real kick in the teeth I can tell you!
Now I'm back up to 4 years I'm enjoying the benefits again.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:17pm
I haven't had an accident for 18 years!

They'll probably ring you up tomorrow and demand another £100

What was the company?
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:24pm
Royal Mail. 
SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:11pm
£980 for mine fully comp, had to search around but its a good deal for my car.

Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:30pm
Mines £2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:41pm
Quote Mines £2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why bother driving if it costs you that much? You're rich or crazy! .

I passed my test at 18 years old and had a 1.4 petrol car. First years insurance was £1200, second year cost £500
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:09am
I followed the TV this year. I'd been with Direct Line for several years, and upon changing my car the cheapest I got from them and other insurers was just under £400...

...so followed the annoying bloke on the telly, went to elephant, and was offered £270, fully comp, protected NCB, hire car, legal blah etc. First time I've ever paid up front for it.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:17am
Quote went to elephant

Who are they?!

£600 fully comp for mine this year! Bloody rip-off.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:19am
The AA were the cheapest for me. Then I nipped back to my present insurer [Swinton] and she taped a few keys on her keyboard and came up with slightly less than the AA.

I leaned many years ago that if you just stick with your present insurer they will gradually nip it up each year.

You have to shop around each year and then your present insurer will try to match or better.

Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Quote Mines £2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why bother driving if it costs you that much? You're rich or crazy! .

I passed my test at 18 years old and had a 1.4 petrol car. First years insurance was £1200, second year cost £500

How is this possible!

Ive got a 1.2 SXI corsa 2003! Were you on your parents?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 10:43am
Nope, I'm on my own with my parents added to my policy if they ever need to use it.

Who are you on with? Try a company called Quinn Direct, they were by far the cheapest when I got my insurance. They aim specifically at younger drivers
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 12:44pm

My quotes that I've had so far, on a Group 1 insurance car (idea being to see how cheap I could get a quote) for my first year of driving, have ranged from about £600 to £1470...  despite the very same details being provided on each quote. Funnily enough (and why am I not completely surprised) the comparison websites aren't giving anywhere near the cheapest of prices so far.

Quinn Direct has just quoted £1000 on their young/new drivers scheme.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:16pm

Bear in mind that you aren't that young Sim! You will probably find other providers who decide that based on your age, rather than your experience, you are a reasonable safe driver. Where as Quinn give much better prices for young and inexperienced drivers. There were about £1000 cheaper than any other provider for me.

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic