This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another big one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another big one...
    Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 4:12am
My shiny new 707 landing in Algiers...

Al
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:56am
Very nice!  Did you take out a bank loan?
SpamValiant View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpamValiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 1:29pm
Nice. Which 707 did you get? And was it easy to put into AH?
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 6:42pm
That's the Captain Sim one I bought the other day when they had that sale on (FS9). It went into Air Hauler no problem at all and didn't even need any config tweaking.

I had intended to have it alongside my DC-8 but I discovered a slight issue with the DC-8 which caused some difficulties on a flight the other day, that being the autothrottle on the DC-8 which can jam on at high altitude and will not unjam until you get down to about 22,000 feet. Needless to say that makes descending a bit problematic and what I had to do in order to avoid an overspeed was shut down the two outboard engines and use the speedbrake to get down to where the autothrottle would respond again, whereupon I could put the spoilers in and relight the outer engines. Before I learned that the autothrottle would again unjam, I was thinking I might have to dump fuel and shut down another engine in order to land, but fortunately it did not come to that, so we'll never know whether I could have pulled that off, although I reckon I could probably have had a fair shot at it.

So, in Air Hauler terms, I'm treating it as though the leased DC-8 has had a temporary grounding restriction because of its autothrottle issue and been returned to the leasing company, meaning I've had to lease a replacement, that being the 707. This means it's in my fleet a bit sooner than anticipated, as I was hoping to have that alongside the DC-8, and once I've sussed out that autothrottle issue, that's probably what will happen, so in the meantime, the 707 is going to have to be my big earner.

It's a nice plane, not too dissimilar to the CS 727 if anyone is familiar with that (i.e. its got those big old P&W smokey exhaust plumes and turbojet howl and an ancient autopilot), so it does require a lot of hands on flying, which I don't mind personally. Although you can see why the 707 had a crew of three, there's a lot to do in that cockpit, and the real thing was nicknamed 'the Lead Sled' by it's crews because of how you had to haul on the controls to get it to respond. Quite nostalgic for me, I remember taking a flight on a Monarch Boeing 720 (the shortened version of the 707) a few years ago, which being a plane nut, I of course loved.

Al
jaugust4 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaugust4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 3:25pm
Your CS 707 answered some questions. I bought it as well and tried some test flights with FSNAV. Found out that it doesn't interface well with the autopilot. Back to the aircraft boneyard from whence it came where I personally operated the guillotine with a great amount of glee, I might add.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic