This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A date to remeber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 11:39pm
I agree with you. It isn't you, Edward. I think the thing is, is that certainly recently there has been an increase in members of this forum. Obviously this will bring with it lots and lots of different opinions which of course not everybody will agree with, hence why little 'misunderstandings' occur from time to time. A lot of these new members are younger too, which brings the problem of spelling and grammar - and also they're more likely to make topics such as "Airbus is the best in the world because I went on holiday on one to Disneyland last year.." etc etc (which may I just point out that we haven't seen an example quite as extreme as this, but i'm sure you get the general idea) - debates which aren't backed with proper evidence or knowledge! Although I mention spelling and grammar as a problem, when I joined this forum (god more than two years ago, how time flies!) I seem to remember having to check a box saying I was over 13? If that's the case we should be seriously worried about our education system seeing the spelling in some people's posts on here! I think it's just laziness, but the reason 'txt spk' and the like is not allowed is because there are members of whom English is not their first language, and it makes it difficult for them to understand.
Kind regards,
Tom
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by CyprusAirwaysA330 CyprusAirwaysA330 wrote:

Originally posted by Edward Longe Edward Longe wrote:

All- I will admit I have had some arguments on this forum with Mrbobo, I have tried to reach some kind of agreement via PM but I have received no interest in coming to some agreement. The reason I want to argue any more is because it ruins it for everyone else w anting to read the thread. I know that some posts of mine have caused 'controversy' but that is my own opinion on that subject, I also respect others opinion but sometime I open my mouth with out realizing what I'm saying. I admit SOME of the arguments have been caused my me and I would like to apologies to ALL of you!
Many thanks
Edward Longe

Edward, although this is rather a brave statement, I don't believe that your opinions are the cause of arguments (at least, very rarely).  What others feel, and I share the sentiment, is that sometimes you are just trying to rack up your post count by posting needless one word posts, or posts that with 2 mins research would of come up with the answer you were looking.  MrBobo, Dmr100 and Vulcan have all expressed the same sentiment in various threads.  

Regards, CAA330

OK fair enougth. I'd like to point out  I've not posted any needless one word posts. I have not intentionally posted any threads/ posts to rack up my post count, mainly because they are only numbers. Before I post any topic requesting help I will always look on the Internet first. One post 'just flight refunds' was asking about refunds on JF downloaded products. I looked on the website and I found they did offer refunds within 28 days of purchase but I was unsure whether this applies to Downloaded products.

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 1:22am
I wouldn't worry Edward. Some people on here are like Radium and Water..
As for the Post Counts, I didn't know people cared, like you said, they're only numbers.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 1:24am
Back on topic...

Mars can't ever look as large as the Moon in the night sky, unless something went seriously wrong with the orbits.

I'd like to correct a technical error with the article:

Quote Mars and Earth do come together every two years, reaching the closest point on their orbits - astronomers call this “opposition”.

It's not called opposition - the Sun/Moon can be in opposition WRT to the Earth, but not Mars and Earth in relation to the cloest point to each other in their orbits. The closest point is actually called the periapsis. When referring specifically to an object orbiting Earth, the closest point is called the perigee.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 7:09am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Back on topic...

Mars can't ever look as large as the Moon in the night sky, unless something went seriously wrong with the orbits.

I'd like to correct a technical error with the article:

Quote Mars and Earth do come together every two years, reaching the closest point on their orbits - astronomers call this “opposition”.

It's not called opposition - the Sun/Moon can be in opposition WRT to the Earth, but not Mars and Earth in relation to the cloest point to each other in their orbits. The closest point is actually called the periapsis. When referring specifically to an object orbiting Earth, the closest point is called the perigee.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

And seems theres lots of talk off pointless posts......we have one we learn from . i just have to remember that info long enouth to start a convo to use it in!

Flightboy
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 7:08pm

You know the reason why and keep doing it!

And as I said in the PM, don't click your mouse. If you don't like the content of a post ignore it. And certainly don't wind up other members.

I'm not for arguing, but what's wrong with asking for a correct date and for the spelling to be improved so we can actually understand what is written? 

Nothing if it’s done with respect and in a friendly way.

If there's any action to be taken in regard to posts the moderators deem to be pointless...

THE MODERATORS WILL TAKE IT!

Apologies to Vulcan.

Now lets be polite enough to  discuss the topic Airbus319 started.

Any further nonsense and I lock the topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic