This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is the best passenger jet in the world?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 747-800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the best passenger jet in the world?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 4:05pm
maby a 747-800 or an A380?
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 4:28pm
Concorde was.  Now I would say Airbus is the way forward.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by 747-800 747-800 wrote:

maby a 747-800

Difficult to suggest an aeroplane that doesn't exist yet.
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 6:46pm
By all accounts, the 747-8i is going to be a total flop.  It's a difficult question to answer, what are you looking for in terms of an answer? 
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 6:56pm

B777

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
tom burnside View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom burnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:06pm
id say the A380 but concorde will always be the best.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:14pm

The answer to this question is obvious to me! Concorde. Totally unique and reached beyond the capabilities of aircraft built even to this day. Not forgetting that it was arguably the most awe-inspiringly beautiful machine ever to grace the skies.

Kind regards,
Tom
Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:19pm

Depending on the context of the question I will still say Concorde and that is mainly for the thrill of it.

Mind you from economics stand point, I think the Airbus Family are the best, of which the A340-600 is my favourite!
Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
ICE View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 11:08pm
Boeing for me, 737 probably

for long haul either 747-400 or 777

H
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 6:40pm
I'd have to agree and say the Concorde was probably the best. It didn't push the limits of economics (which aircraft such as the 777, as amazing as they are, did), it pushed the boundaries of engineering to its limits. Even the A380 - to a greater extent - didn't do this.

But then there's also the 747-100, which certainly broke a few boundaries in its day.
Luke Roach
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 6:44pm

What about the Comet?

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 7:30pm
Concorde did burn a lot of fuel!  44 tones per hour with the reheat on and 22 without.  A 757 burns 7 tones per hour!  Quite a difference!  Concorde was still the best in my eyes though.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:00pm
If you are judging on aesthetics alone I would say Concorde followed by the VC10, ....however the question is what is the BEST, in which case I would have to say the Boeing 707 which is till going strong even now, however the best ever Airliner, jet or prop has to be the Douglas DC3 Dakota, why ? well the aircraft entered service in the 30s and has served largely unchanged right up until now and is still giving excellent service in many parts of the world, they are tough as old boots and have been used to haul almost anything you could imagine as well as passengers, They tried to replace it several times but all the pretenders have been and gone yet the Dak still flies on, she can be landed almost anywhere and has indeed done so, be it on wheels, floats, skis or anything else, she has been flown with the wing from a different aircraft on one side (in china a wing from a DC2 was bolted on after an accident), she has carried troops to war and evacuees to safety, she has served in conflict ,peace ,flood and famine, she has come through with flying colours no matter what we have thrown at her, sure shes old, shes slow, shes noisy, but at the end of the day, shes doing now just what she was designed to do over 60 years ago, The DC3 gentleman is immortal, she will still be going when many of us have gone. That is why she has to be the worlds BEST airliner.Clap
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:10pm
I say the comet because it revolutionized the way we travel. It was the first EVER jet passenger aircraft entering service in 1949. It saw service with over 20 international airlines and was also used by the RCAF and RAF. It finally ended it military service with the RAF in 1975 after 18 years with the RAF.

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
FLYBE... View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYBE... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:18pm
Up high in the sky
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:21pm
Edward, you say the Comet, but it's worth remembering that the only Comet model that was actually successful (didn't break-up mid air) was the Comet 4, and by the time it was in the air the Caravelle and 707 were already flying.
It may have been the first jet airliner, but it wasn't the first successful jet airliner - that distinction goes to the Caravelle.
Luke Roach
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

Edward, you say the Comet, but it's worth remembering that the only Comet model that was actually successful (didn't break-up mid air) was the Comet 4, and by the time it was in the air the Caravelle and 707 were already flying.
It may have been the first jet airliner, but it wasn't the first successful jet airliner - that distinction goes to the Caravelle.

The Caravelle was indeed a beautiful aircraft, The early versions used Comet noses for cost reasons and to provide commonallity with Air France's Comet fleet, it was only on the MK IV that the windscreen changed. the Caravelle was of course the first commercial jet to use the now familiar rear engined layout, they are a rare and very welcome sight these days.Big%20smile
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 9:58pm
It's a real shame that Airbus withdrew the type certificate for the Caravelle back in 2005... pretty much prevents it from being (legally, in developed countries) airbourne again. I suppose that by 2005 there weren't really many operators (if any) left though.
Luke Roach
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 10:36pm
Now my being on the AS Beta Team is out, I really rather like the A319 with the extended tanks!

I've been studying the Airbus hard the last 18 months. I did hate Airbus (the idea of FBW didn't jive) but I'm really starting to prefer it over Boeing now!

If I could buy any Boeing or Airbus... I think I'd buy either an A319 (CFM) or A340-500.

Dare I say that I think the Boeing looks antiquainted? Big%20smile  I still love the look of the 757 though.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by 747-800 747-800 wrote:

maby a 747-800 or an A380?

As other people have said what  is the question based on? Passenger Comfort? Economy? Engineering? Or all?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic