This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BT Roll-Out ADSL2+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BT Roll-Out ADSL2+
    Posted: 01 May 2008 at 10:26am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7376173.stm

...but only to (at most) 1,000,000 telephone lines.

Quote BT said ADSL2+ would reach a "potential footprint of 10 million homes and businesses by the spring of 2009".

Not fast enough. It won't appear here for at least another 5 years.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:08pm
Any link to the areas covered?
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:37pm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:57pm
How does that help me Techno? I know where I live.
mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

U.M my broadband supplier offers adsl2 if you look at this page you can enter your phone number to see if it is 16Mb compatible

http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/homeuser.php?is=m1hbb&is=hpm

Cheers
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:21pm

It shows what services are available at your exchange, i.e. if it's ADSL2 enabled, LLU etc. Smile
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:31pm
20 mb connection ... Hug
Visit http://fsprojects.netau.net for my flight sim and train sim web sites :)
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

It shows what services are available at your exchange, i.e. if it's ADSL2 enabled, LLU etc. Smile

But this is not now magic, we now we haven't got it now.

It's what we will get when they roll the NEW service out.

This is what we have now.

Broadband availability overview
ADSL: Yes
SDSL: Yes
LLU services: Yes
Cable: Yes
Wireless: No

So what's LLU? It doesn't relate to the new service does it? Won't they be tinkering with their bits to enable such lightning speeds?

So what does this mean?

BT have set a target date of Q2 2008 for the switch to 21CN for the Solihull exchange

SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:25pm
Broadband availability overview
ADSL: Yes
SDSL: No
LLU services: No
Cable: No
Wireless: No

But apparently Be Unlimited 24Mbps is coming in June... apparently...
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:38pm

So what's LLU? It doesn't relate to the new service does it? Won't they be tinkering with their bits to enable such lightning speeds?

So what does this mean?

BT have set a target date of Q2 2008 for the switch to 21CN for the Solihull exchange

LLU is Local Loop Unbundling. It's when another provider puts equipment in the BT exchange and moves your phone line over to their system. It effectively cuts BT out of the whole thing, and you pay your line rental (if any) to the new provider. A lot of LLU providers offer faster (24Mbps) than you can currently get via a normal "BT" based line (8Mbps).

BT are saying they want to start doing ADSL2+, which is what the LLU providers are doing. That'll allow you to get 24Mbps over a "BT" line, instead of going to an LLU provider.

21CN is BT's new phone network system which will replace the ancient old one that the country currently has. It's all (?) IP based stuff, I believe a bit like routing calls over VoIP to help cut costs and let the system grow much better. I don't think this is anything to do with the news in the last few days, but a few places seem to have got this new 24Mbps broadband over BT lines confused with the 21CN rollout which is happening over the next few years.
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 3:51pm
Quote But apparently Be Unlimited 24Mbps is coming in June... apparently...

Had Be for almost 2 years with ADSL2+Big%20smile  A great ISP.  Gave me free surfing at Christmas and on my birthday, and lower my bill as there service becomes cheaper before its advertised.  The service  is  full speed even at peak times.   (I don't work for BeWink)

Cheers
Mark.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 5:19pm
Quote It's all (?) IP based stuff

Correct. They're going to an all-IP based system for call routing as well as data. Only the "last mile" will be analogue.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:56pm
Thanks Simon, if I understand that correctly, then the new fast service will be available for me from BT, as well as the others that provide such a service from my exchange.

In which case Techodudes link was indeed helpfull.

I knew he wouldn't let me down. It's his job you know to provide this service for us.
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:05pm
I can have a 5.5 mb/s ADSL connection...so cock that in your chamber and shoot it :D
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:09pm
That's within current max package speeds... mine is currently about 6.5Mb/s for my profile...

@Martin Smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:20pm
Yes you see, i knew if I came down very hard on him he would provide the answers. one simple link and he has once again transcended us mere mortals and set us on the path to true technological nirvana.

Wink
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:10pm
Fortunately I get the full 8Mbps sync speed and fastest throughput possible. A line test showed that they reckoned I'd get pretty much full 24Mbps speed if/when it's enabled on the exchange, as the line is that short and good quality. Bring it on I say Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:22am
I get half the stated in Solihull, usually about 4mbps.

They say the faster it gets though the less you get, so i probably won't get 24 or even 12.
Probably 8-10 I'd guess.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 1:53pm
I get the full 8mb usually just over in fact but 16mb would be nice!Tongue

Flightboy
alanb View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 11:33am
Lucky people - I live so far from an exchange there is no possiblity of BT or anybody else proving B/B and even dial up is rubbish the lines are so bad so our little community has lashed out over £1000 to get a satellite connection at 512KBs - but the countryside has its compensations

Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic