This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A B1900 for Ka'anapali Air Service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A B1900 for Ka'anapali Air Service
    Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 6:03pm
I managed to pick up a well used Beech 1900 from Ameriflight and add it into my fleet in Hawaii. Since I was behind on my jobs, I immediately put this bird to work, doing what it does best, haul lots of freight. Tongue

Climbing out in the morning haze at Lanai;

Over the north coast of the Big Island:

Departing Hilo:

Climbing to 14,000 on the way to Molokai:

Another satisfied customer Wink :

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 6:14pm
Brilliant!
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 7:02pm
Nice pics and a cool plane too.

Al
SpamValiant View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpamValiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 7:37pm
If you keep doing this I'm gonna have to buy FSX.

Great shotsThumbs%20Up
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 10:06pm
Beautiful shots, Brian.  What are your specs? 
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 11:15pm
Thanks Gents,

My specs are nothing special (it's a laptop);

Windows Vista 64 bit using Direct X 10
Geforce 8600M GT nVidia card
Intel Dual core processor @ 2.1 GHz
4 Gb RAM

My sim is FSX with REX for clouds, sky, water and airport textures. I also have GEX installed which gives the ground textures more of a 3D look to them.

I've said this before but I'm constantly amazed at how good MS did the Hawaiian Islands with FSX. It's such a shame they didn't put the same effort into Alaska.
edl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 11:58pm

Hello Brian,

Nice shot of the B1900c, my favorite twin turbo prop. Is that a PMDG 1900? If so how did you get to load into FSX? I've tried, but the cockpit is all messed up.

Can you give me a clue on how you did it.

Thanks,
Ed Lewis
KWJF (Lancaster, CA)
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 12:06am
Originally posted by SpamValiant SpamValiant wrote:

If you keep doing this I'm gonna have to buy FSX.

Great shotsThumbs%20Up

Do it! Do it!

The main reason I bought FSX was for the scenery (FTX in my case), but the weather model and extra effects make it well worth while.

I intend to stay low and slow in AH for some time just to soak in the sights in FSX!

Malcolm

PS I'm running FSX in XP with SP3 with no problems....
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 12:45am
Originally posted by edl edl wrote:

Nice shot of the B1900c, my favorite twin turbo prop. Is that a PMDG 1900? If so how did you get to load into FSX? I've tried, but the cockpit is all messed up.

Can you give me a clue on how you did it.

Thanks,
Ed Lewis
KWJF (Lancaster, CA)

Hi Ed,

Yes, it is the PMDG B1900. Wink Check out this link for importing the B1900 into FSX:

The only trick is to install it into FS9 first...I'm not sure if it can be done successfully without doing that step.
edl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 3:32am
Hi Brian,

Thanks for that link, do have it installed in FS9 I'll work on that this week.

Thanks,
Ed
KWJF
Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Brian_ Brian_ wrote:

Thanks Gents,

My sim is FSX with REX for clouds, sky, water and airport textures. I also have GEX installed which gives the ground textures more of a 3D look to them.

Hello Brian - I am actually Alex (Axelb9) from the REX forums if you recall - a Hawaii simmer myself as well. The question: do you say that GEXn enhances the tropical textures in Hawaii as well? I thought GEXn only showed up in the continental US. Your textures in Hawaii actually look like defgault FSX...

Thanks for clearing this up to me!

Alex
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpamValiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:39am
Originally posted by VH-MAL VH-MAL wrote:

Do it! Do it!

The main reason I bought FSX was for the scenery (FTX in my case), but the weather model and extra effects make it well worth while.

I intend to stay low and slow in AH for some time just to soak in the sights in FSX!

Malcolm

PS I'm running FSX in XP with SP3 with no problems....

Good to hearSmile I'm on XPsp3, with a 3.4Ghz P4, 4mb ram (XP sees about 3.7 I think) and a GeForce 8800 GTS. I was going to leave FSX until after I'd buildt a new rig, as I'd heard so many people saying 'pretty pictures, but poor frame rate'. Thoughts?
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 1:31pm

Good to hearSmile I'm on XPsp3, with a 3.4Ghz P4, 4mb ram (XP sees about 3.7 I think) and a GeForce 8800 GTS. I was going to leave FSX until after I'd buildt a new rig, as I'd heard so many people saying 'pretty pictures, but poor frame rate'. Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

I have previously run FSX on two rigs, a 3.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM with a 128 MB video card, and a 2.66 Ghz machine with 3 GB RAM and a 256 MB video card. Believe it or not the 'bigger' video card gave me better frame rates, averaging around 20 fps with sliders mid way.

I really do think you need a higher spec machine to run FSX at what I call acceptable frame rates, which is why I now have a quad core 2.33 Ghz machine with 3.25 GB RAM (which is what XP sees of the 4 GB on board) and a 512 MB video card. I set my frame rates at 30 fps which works well with sliders set more to the right, with most aircraft staying near the 30 fps mark during tests - aircraft like the Dornier Do-27 tend to drop the rates a bit, but my FSX scenery in itself does not hit the frame rates at all.

There is a lot of tweaking you can do - there are forums full of suggestions everywhere, and I think there were some on the old AH forum at one stage too. I find FSX a compromise, but if you want an enjoyable experience, imho, a higher spec machine is the way to go.

My only other advice is that I had my current compy (only recently purchased) built by a computer store and specified (with their whole-hearted agreement) that I run Windows XP with SP3, which I have found to be virtually bullet-proof and a lot less resource-hungry than Vista.

As I say they are my personal views, and others may disagree vehemently!

Malcolm

PS I greatly admire your wonderful sense of humour!
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpamValiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 12:17pm

Malcolm

Can't help thinking those two sentences belong in a different order. 

VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by SpamValiant SpamValiant wrote:

Malcolm

Can't help thinking those two sentences belong in a different order. 

I think I just proved my point!
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Hans Olo Hans Olo wrote:

question: do you say that GEXn enhances the tropical textures in Hawaii as well? I thought GEXn only showed up in the continental US. Your textures in Hawaii actually look like defgault FSX...

Thanks for clearing this up to me!

Alex

Hi Alex,

You could be right....but I always thought GEX worked for all FSX ground textures, however, I could be wrong. My impression from looking at the Hawaii textures is that GEX is effecting them too. I also fly in the Caribbean outside the US and I'm pretty positive that they effect those textures.

Basically, it gives the ground objects more of a 3D look, IMO.
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Brian_ Brian_ wrote:

Thanks Gents,

My specs are nothing special (it's a laptop);

Windows Vista 64 bit using Direct X 10
Geforce 8600M GT nVidia card
Intel Dual core processor @ 2.1 GHz
4 Gb RAM

I've said this before but I'm constantly amazed at how good MS did the Hawaiian Islands with FSX. It's such a shame they didn't put the same effort into Alaska.

Wow, those are pretty good shots for those specs.  As I'm hunting for a laptop to do a bit of flight sim, can I ask what model it is? 

hobofat View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobofat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 10:22pm
Hi Brian,

I don't believe that GEXn affects Hawaii's ground textures, because FSX's default Hawaii is not using the same textures as the rest of the continental US (it has it's own special class of textures).  I have GEXn but don't have it installed at the moment (I had to reinstall all my flight simulator stuff) and my Hawaii ground textures are the same as yours in the screenshots.

I could be wrong though!  It might be that the urban landclass textures are affected now that I look at it again.
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 1:03am
Originally posted by hobofat hobofat wrote:

Hi Brian,

I don't believe that GEXn affects Hawaii's ground textures, because FSX's default Hawaii is not using the same textures as the rest of the continental US (it has it's own special class of textures).  I have GEXn but don't have it installed at the moment (I had to reinstall all my flight simulator stuff) and my Hawaii ground textures are the same as yours in the screenshots.

I could be wrong though!  It might be that the urban landclass textures are affected now that I look at it again.

Hmm...that's very interesting. I think you're right too. I didn't know that FSX had used a different set of textures for Hawaii. That would perhaps explain why they look so good.Smile

I looked on the website for GEX and it says it covers USA and Canada (including Alaska) but it doesn't say anything about Hawaii. On the other hand, it has another release that covers Oceana, so I have to assume that that one probably covers Hawaii.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic