This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Spec - Moved

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 9:14pm
Hi,

I didn't realize you were upgrading to get better performance in FSX! A faster CPU is what FSX needs; your "old" graphics card was perfectly fine for FSX.

Could you get a refund on the board?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 4:43pm

Ooopps. .

Ah well never mind at least it is there if I need the upgraded GPU on another game. I read your reply before I went to work (but didn't have time to reply). I thought sod it. Ill get a CPU. I heard you recommended the Q6700 so I went to scan and he said I won't see enough improvement, maybe 10 15 percent, and just said overclock your current CPU (nice of him not to shaft me of 300 quid really). He also doesn't think the quad core was compatible with a P5B so in the end I didn't buy it. He did however sell me a 750w PSU Made by CLIO so that solved my crackling noise.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:40am

Quote I didn't realize you were upgrading to get better performance in FSX! A faster CPU is what FSX needs; your "old" graphics card was perfectly fine for FSX.

Let’s get this clear... Yes, FSX [and FS9 actually] are CPU dependent, that is well known. However... the graphics card is still important, if you improve your graphics card you will see an improvement, not as significantly as an equivalent increase in CPU power but performance will improve.

Both are important, with the priority being the CPU. The E6600 is capable of providing good performance in FSX as long as the user doesn't go mad with sliders. It's also a very good overclocker... if you have the know how to tweak it.

Just because FSX is said to be ‘CPU bound’ it doesn’t follow that a GPU upgrade is not effective. ‘Bound’ is an exaggeration.

The logical thing to do is to look at your CPU and GPU and bearing in mind that the emphasis is on CPU, decide which the weal link is. 

The E6600 provide adequate performance for many in FSX, if you aren’t a crazy slider person.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:51am

Granted, but graphically, FSX is relatively simple. I was playing FSX on an ATI 9800pro, I can play it on the X1400 card of my laptop. Graphically, there is no difference between the general IQ of playing it on those setups to playing it under my 8800GTX on a standard setup, resolution etc.

My laptop will play FSX fine at 25FPS. Something like Bioshock, COD4 or Crysis would bring it to a slideshow because they are far more graphically bound than CPU bound.

Upgrading from any graphics card from the last couple of generations is not going to give any sort of performance increase in FSX on the same CPU. Other games, yes, FSX (and certainly FS9), no.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:06pm
One of the goals of SP1 was to reduce the CPU bound nature of FSX. depends whiter you feel the efforts of Phil and the boys at Aces have been effective.

Upgrading from any graphics card from the last couple of generations is not going to give any sort of performance increase in FSX on the same CPU.

I would dispute your ANY Technodude. Didn't apply to the PC at my wifes place. There was a definite improvement in FS9 and FSX. Although she's made me uninstall them now.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:11pm
Correction. Any mid to high end graphics card from the last couple of generations...Wink
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:15pm
Correction again I'm afraid... sorry about that.

And nobody argues with my wife. Shudder!
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 3:03pm
. hell this gets some debates going. Well as I have posted in the FPS topic I am getting great FPS's on my XP drive. It is taking so long to to reinstall and test that I haven't got around to doing Vista yet ..

When I do I shall let you know.

As for the graphics card. I aint bothered. It is there to stay and will come in handy one day :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic