This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ArmA - Armed Assault - any info ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ArmA - Armed Assault - any info ?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 10:37pm
Hey Guys,

Anybody know about / got ArmA ?

Its a military simulator.  Its game engine used by the american military I believe.

I've heard wispers that its coming onto the PS3, is that true ?
&
Has anybody got it on PC ?  What are your system specs ?

Thanks.
Generic forum signature
icudan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Suspended

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 10:49pm
My little brother plays it on my PC, he loves it, seems good, fly helicopters, fighters and tanks, massive map and play with your team, however, my PC seems to struggle with it on medium for some reason!

My specs are:

Dual Core AMD 3.00GHz
2GB RAM
8800GTS
RossUK1 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossUK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 12:00am
Hello mate,

Yeah I got it and love it.  Its very good now the bugs have been ironed out.  Just make sure when you get it you get the patches (http://www.armedassault.com/dwnl_update.html) then its awesome.  Its based on VBS simulator used by US military but not quite as advanced - though its more than enough for us civvies!  Take a look -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS1

Very enjoyable game and quite addictive.  I know that Operation Flashpoint 2 is a similar game that is being released on Xbox 360 but not sure if Arma going to PS3.  I am a Xbox boy but if Arma went to PS3 I would get one.

I just want to reiterate - patch it when you get it as its buggy as it comes.  Also for excellent add-ons consider http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news - they have excellent add-ons/campaigns/mods etc all free.

As for specs, well I run :

Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM
GeForce 9800GT 512 MB

Plus all the usual gumpf and its silky smooth all the time no matter what mission.  Havent checked the FPS but its gotta be about 60 FPS.  Compare that with 25-30 on FSX that I get and 100 FPS on FS9.

You can get Arma cheap on Ebay so if you got the PC for it, get it!

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 12:12am
Hey Ross,

Thanks for the reply, very useful indeed.

I've heard about the race between Operation Flashpoint and ArmA, but my friends use the later so I will probably get that.   They have also mentioned that there were some bugs and that patches are available for them.

I think overall I would prefer using either of the two on PC.  My mates know that I'm most at home flying so they want me to be air transport / support in their clan, so obviously on a PC you have joystick.

The only thing that is preventing me from getting it is that I dont have the PC.  My current one isnt awful (can handle FS2004 on ultra-high with all the eye candy maxed)  but can't handle FSX with everything on ultra-low !
If i get a new PC in the near future, I think i will be getting it.

Thanks,
Chris
Generic forum signature
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 7:29am
ARMA 2 was announced for PC and next-gen consoles (360 & PS3) back in 2007 i think, should be out sometime this year.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 9:17am
Wasn't ArmA the sequel to OF?

If you are prepared to drop the res a bit (I run it at 1024x768 with no obvious degredation of quality yet massive increase in performance) then you should be fine!

E6700 (stock)
4Gb DDR2 800MHz
1Gb GeForce 7950GX2

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 10:14am

The sequel in all but name. Same developer, but codemasters didn't want to publish it, and they owned the name so Bohemia Interactive had to rename it.

That said the named sequel by Codemasters is due for release soon, OF2: Dragon Rising or something like that. Looks pretty, not sure how close to OF it is though.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic