This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There has to be a way!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5iron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There has to be a way!
    Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 1:24am
I suspect my flying partner and I are a minority market share, but I have to ask.

We fly co-op using the FSX "shared aircraft" feature on dual computers connected by a LAN in my home.  To our dismay we have not been able to find any mission type software that supports this feature... until now.  With one exception Air Hauler is our dream program!

To use the shared aircraft feature we set up our job info on Air Hauler, wait for FSX to start, end flight, enter multi-player shared a/c mode, and re-start flight.  It works great!

But...we can not figure a way to utilize the simulation time rate feature on exceptionally long flights.

The problem is there is no simulation rate or save game option in the multi-player mode.  Are we missing an obvious work around or just still out of luck?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
5iron
aviatorisu View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviatorisu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 4:21am

I would think it would be cooler to be able to have more RL pilots on your payroll instead of another guy flying in the same aircraft with you.  I would think that an over-the-web multiplayer version wouldn't be out of the question since stats such as base location and aircraft types can be uploaded to the internet for visibility by others.  As long as the other people had the same aircraft types installed on their computer (or at least the ones they will be flying) the other aircraft could be just data for the computer to figure out with AI pilots.

Has any thought been given to this?

Z
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 5:00am
It's been discussed and is not out of the question, but the devil's in the details.  It really is pretty complex.  Just as a for example, suppose the company had one C-130.  The program would have to enforce the location of it, and would have to somehow prevent two pilots on different PCs with different copies of AH from using it at the same time.

It would be a pretty neat feature to have collaborative companies. 

Duncan's the one to say yea or nay on this, of course. 

John Allard
aviatorisu View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviatorisu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 5:39am

True...that's why it would be best if one person was in charge of the company and the other was on the payroll and could select only his own flights.  Or maybe instead it would require the AI pilot to finish all flight before anyone could assign new flights.  There'd definitely have to be communication between those within the same company.

Z

Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 7:24am
In common with most online stuff, I'd think it's unlikely that you could use accelerated time, I might be wrong on that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was disabled for multiplayer, as it is with every other multiplayer sim I've ever tried (i.e Falcon, Silent Hunter etc)

Al
5iron View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5iron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 3:29pm
Appreciate all the comments. 

The reason the "shared a/c" mode of simming is my preference is that my flying partner is my son.  In real life he is an Air Force PJ (Para-rescueman) and spends his work day in a Herc or a Pavehawk. We are fortunate to live close to each other and this is our hobby.  We are always looking for ways to increase the reality, and having a guy sitting beside you handleing Comm/Nav/FE in the big Birds is as good as it gets for us. 

Thanks again 
Air Hauler is a great program!
5iron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic