This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creating Flight Plans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating Flight Plans
    Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 10:26pm
Hi Folks

I've tried, tried and tried till I need match sticks to keep my eyes open......ConfusedDead
Dead
BUT....  I cannot get any new flightplans to showup in FSX using TrafficXCryCry

I follow instructions to the 'letter' in the tutorial, and none of the flights show errors (red text).  I just don't understand where i'm going wrong?

I think the tutorials are rather lacking in detail.  Tutorial two is mostly just repeating bits of the first.

Any help or advice would be VERY welcome indeed.

Thank you
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 10:59pm
Start with something simple. For example, a Cessna 172 at an airport that is not very busy (or, better, empty). Don't try to do too much.  Just one plane. Compile your flight plans and go to your airport. Set FSX up about 15 minutes before the planned takeoff time (GMT) and see if your plane is there. The idea here is to get something to work. Anything. Starting small and simple is a good way to confirm things are (or are not) working.

dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 5:56pm
If I start from an empty airfirld, there's likely to be no parking there, surely?
altena View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 6:18pm
Dougal,

There are a many reasons, why you don't see results of your flightplans. Anyway Freddy is right. Keep it simple in your first attempts. To see if an departure- and arrival airport has parkings and if they suit your plane's demand, then you, in principal,  should see the aircraft for which you made a flightplan. First try that out and give feedback.
Henk
MSFS View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSFS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 9:20pm
Martyn and staff have a nice tutorial written up for simple to complex flight plans. A nice read too. Clap Maybe give that a shot.

Controller: 'AF123, say call sign of your wingman.'

Pilot: 'Uh ... approach, we're a single ship.'

Controller: 'oh, oh shxx! You have traffic!'
dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 11:23pm
Well, I'm obviously missing something - hopefully, a simple something.

I tried with just one 'cub' from EGSC to EGSS and back.  If I restart TrafficX and look in the flightplan list, under VFR UK, it shows in the list, but the aircraft just never appears at the fieldCry
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 1:52am
In the Traffic Control Centre, click on "Traffic Movements." On the "Traffic Movements" screen, click on "Compile Traffic X Flight Plans." It is only after running the compiler that changes you have made (such as setting up a flight plan) will take effect.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 8:37am
A good thought.  The tutorial does lack one extremely important point ... it does NOT mention that after adding/editing flight plans one needs to COMPILE them.

If you are not doing that dougal, then that might explain why you are not seeing your cub.

=======================================

On 25th February, in the post "Flight Plan Tutorial - Feedback", freddy wrote the following:
2) At the end of the tutorial, I would suggest explaining that the added/edited flight plans do need to be compiled so that they can be seen in Flight Simulator. Some readers may be under the incorrect impression that if they merely add/edit flight plans and save them as per the tutorial's explanations, their flight plans will now simply appear in Flight Simulator. Whilst I do realise that this tutorial is only about Flight Plan adding/editing, I think it could be a good idea to mention that the flight plans do need to be compiled and that this topic will be covered in detail later in a forthcoming tutorial. Just something brief.

Martyn from Just Flight responded thus:
"Good suggestion, I was considering mentioning it. I intend to update the tutorial once I have completed the detailed tutorial on how to compile etc, so that the two 'link up'."
dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 11:27am
Ok, that was the main problem - I wasn't recompiling.  Also, seems it's critical to make sure the minimum flight distance is correct for the flight.  Although i had changed the custom field, seems I either got the distance wrong, or didn't then hit 'Enter'

I still think the 'Pilot's Notes' and the tutorials leave much unsaid.

Thank you for your help.  Much appreciated.  Time now to build up on what I know......
dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 1:40pm
Ok guys, next question....

I don't understand the 'Traffic Generator' page on the TCC.  The slider doesn't 'seem' to anything.  How ever many ticks I put in however many boxes, they later disappear!
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 2:35pm
Ah, you weren't compiling.  Cool.  So your compile worked?  Your plane(s) did appear?

Traffic Generator screen and ticks. Easy one. After you place your ticks next to what you want (and remove ticks from the ones you don't want), RIGHT-CLICK in a blank area and a little sub-menu will come up. With this sub-menu you can choose to GENERATE TRAFFIC (based on what you've ticked), and you can also choose to SAVE your selections. Choosing the SAVE option SAVES your ticks for later so that the next time you visit this screen, your selections remain and do not disappear.

The slider on the Traffic Generator screen is an interesting one. Simply, if you set it to 200%, it will generate a lot more traffic than if you set it to 50%. That's pretty obvious. But you also have to remember that there are traffic sliders within FSX that allow you to set the percentages of commercial airliners and GA traffic. I don't think I fully have a grasp myself on what the slider in Traffic X does and how the sliders in FSX directly or indirectly have an affect over the percentage you choose in Traffic X. I leave mine at 100% and don't worry about it. Maybe someone else can provide a good explanation.
dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 8:18pm
Thanks Freddy

Ahhhhggg!  I'm going nuts here.  So far, i seem to have managed ONCE to make my aircraft show.

Can you please WALK me through a recomile?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 10:55am
I have cut and pasted the following directly from a post by Soaranden. I remember reading the post and thinking at the time that it was an excellent description of the process. I hope Soaranden doesn't mind.

Soaranden is talking here about using the random traffic generator to generate random traffic flight plans. You have asked only about how to do a recompile. But, Soaranden's entire post is relevant and provides the background information needed for understanding; so I've cut and pasted it here in its entirety for completeness:

"..... after making any changes on the Traffic Generator screen, you need to right-click in a blank area under "VFR aircraft" to bring up a popup menu. On the menu, select "Save Selection." Do the same in a blank area under "Business aircraft" if you have changed any business aircraft selections. After saving your "VFR aircraft" and "Business aircraft" selections, remember to right-click again under "VFR aircraft" to bring back the popup menu. Select "generate Traffic." Right-click under "Business aircraft" to bring back the same popup menu, and again select "generate Traffic." You now have generated traffic for the selections you saved.

..... After you have saved and generated traffic on the Traffic Generator screen, exit to the main Traffic X Control Centre menu. Click on "Traffic Movements" to go to the "Traffic Movements" screen.  Click "Compile Traffic X Flight Plans."

You will be asked for a filename. I usually just overwrite the same .bgl file that I did the last time. In my case I have been overwriting the "Traffic X.bgl" file. You yourself may have compiled to a different filename.
dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 9:59pm
Thank you very much.

Can you tell me;  will a small aircraft use a larger paking space, or do I have to change the parking sizes?

Thanks
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 3:23am
Planes will just use available parking spaces. You don't have to change anything. As an example, if there are five parking spaces at an airport and four of them currently have aircraft parked in them, and that one available parking space just happens to be a "large" parking space that a commercial airliner might normally use, a Cessna will land, taxi and park in that space. The Cessna doesn't care about the "size" of the spot. It only cares that there is a free spot.

The exception is that a commercial airliner will not park in a "small" spot. So small planes can park in any free available spot ... but the opposite is not true; large planes cannot park in spots that are too small for them.

All of this is, of course, is based on the wing radius settings. In other words, a parking spot set as "18" means that a plane with a wing radius larger than 18 cannot park in that spot. But a plane with a wing radius smaller than 18 (or equal to 18) CAN park in that spot.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 4:01am
Here'e what the Traffic X "Pilot's Notes" manual has to say:

"FSX allows you to assign certain gates to certain airlines and vice versa. We have modified 50 international airports with gate assignments that are as accurate as possible. However, in the event an airport get overloaded with traffic it will assign gates according to free spaces; so newly arriving aircraft might park in any free parking space."

I did a modification to Edwards (KEDW) using Airport Design Editor. I changed all the parking spaces to large military combat ramps. I found that although this did not eliminate the possibility of small GA aircraft using the large parking spaces, it did lessen the chance if there were a sufficient number of large aircraft scheduled to arrive and depart from the airport. In the absense of sufficient scheduled flights of large aircraft into Edwards, the small GA aircraft ate up the spaces...even when there were plenty of open large parking spaces for large aircraft and even when all of the parking spaces at the airport were large ramps. (The situation would have been different if all the large parking spaces were gates. See below).

If you want to control traffic into a small GA airport and eliminate having large aircraft arrive and depart, and if there are large parking spaces at the airport, then there are three options:

1. Edit the airport with an AFCAD program to eliminate the large parking spaces.

2. Search in TCC for the flight plans of any large aircraft that are using the airport, and delete those flight plans.

3. Schedule so many small GA aircraft to stop over at the airport for hours that there is little room for anything but the small GA aircraft.

Remember that GA aircraft are going to occupy ramp spaces. Airports with gates are not going to see Cessnas parking at gates (unless more-appropriate GA parking spaces are unavailable). It's not, therefore, just a matter of parking space size; it is also a matter of type.

Hey, freddy. Your reply was more than sufficient. I just happened to be writing this reply at the same time you were writing yours.
dougal View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 5:50pm
You guys are great!  I really appreciate the time you've taken to describe the details for me.

Guess I just didn't realise how much was involved in setting up a single flight.  Very time consuming.

Thanks
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

Hey, freddy. Your reply was more than sufficient. I just happened to be writing this reply at the same time you were writing yours.

Hehe. All good. Actually, I think your reply is better than mine - a bit more detailed.  Thumbs%20Up

And, you mentioned what I had missed; parking "type" - RAMPS versus GATES.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic