This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A smashing time...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A smashing time...
    Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 7:14pm
Just thought I'd post this little series of screenshots from the second flight I made in my DC-3 in Air Hauler. This was really great fun, and quite an adventure:

Flying from Moscow to Archangel with a load of fragile china on board, things start to look grim at my cruising altitude of 11,000 feet, as a thunderstorm blocks the way ahead and the plane begins to have difficulty staying wings level in the updraughts. Soon it is all over the sky in the wild storm with lighting flashing all over the place:

A glance the other way shows that we are now surrounded by towering cumulonimbus clouds, and there's no choice but to go through and try and climb over the worst of it:

Things get particularly hairy, and constant 'bank angle' warnings pop up on screen, informing me that all the 20-piece china dining sets in the hold are going to have a few extra pieces each by the time we get to Archangel, assuming we get there in one piece ourselves. A climb to 15,000 feet takes a real effort on the mixture controls and it's not high enough to escape the worst of the battering. I keep trying the autopilot but it is futile and hand flying is the only way to stay reasonably upright:

This goes on for a gruelling 150 miles or so, but finally an opening in the clouds appears off to the North East and we make a dash for the hole:

The storm continues to build up to an estimated 25,000 feet behind me, showing how futile our attempt to outclimb it really was, but we are out of the worst of it now:

A landing at Archangel after what has been a strenuous 500 mile flight - most of it by hand to try and stay wings level - fortunately, we get a round of applause when handing over the cargo to the agent at Archangel, which by some miracle, is 90 percent intact:

Real weather downloads make for some great fun with Air Hauler.

Al

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 7:36pm
Love them!  I can't wait to start flying the DC3.
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 9:52pm
Nice report. Thumbs%20Up Sounds like one of my flights last week. Confused
chelseamad View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelseamad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 8:51am
Great storyline and a nice set of pics.

Steve
fritchka View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritchka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 1:37pm
That is really a tough flight.  Just destroyed my load of fragile china flying the pattern on arrival in the DC3.  Trying to turn the DC3 with less than 20 degree of bank is like steering an aircraft carrier. 

My load was still at 100 percent on downwind (wich was actually an 18knt crosswind), and turning base the wind gusted on me and before I knew it I had a 44 degree angle for about 5 seconds.  Crash goes the load, the lot was down to 20 percent and I failed the delivery. 

I think a sound effect of breaking glass or thumping cargo should be added to the sim to remind you when the cargo is being damaged.  It would add to the experience.
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 3:26pm
Yup, the sound of smashing cargo or loads shifting occurred to me too, although it might take a bit of doing since there's a limit to what AH can do in the sim. I guess you could change the 'bank angle' audio voice file to that sound, or alias another one though. might try that at some point.

Al
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 5:32pm

Going to order AH. Looking forward to its arrival

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 5:36pm
Edward- You won't be disapointed.  That's for sure!
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 5:44pm
It better be good! At the moment I'm totally SKINT! My (loving) parents have got me cleaning their cars and owing the lawn to pay for it! (I think I ma be addicted to FS). and I've decided to put some old add ons on ebay

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 6:01pm
Don't expect to start flying the "big jets" as soon as you start.  You will need to get a good rep. before you can take out a bank loan for one.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 6:12pm
I woun't. I would like to start with my PA-28 (from flying club x) at wellesbourne aerodrome (where I fly)

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 7:19pm
You should be able to afford that, depending on which starting level you choose.
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 11:23pm

The Flying Club X Piper Tomahawk comes in at 116,099.00, the Piper Seneca II costs 364,681,00, so they're both certainly affordable in Air Hauler when you start.

Al
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic