This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Human flight to Mars experiment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Human flight to Mars experiment
    Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 1:23pm

Quote Six volunteer astronauts from Russia, France and Germany will take part in an experiment to see if human beings would be able to withstand the two-year journey to Mars and back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7969169.stm

All very worthwhile, I'm sure much will be learnt, but it doesn't and couldn't address the issue of the human body’s response to weightlessness. Although extended astronaut/cosmonaut stays in a weightless environment have gone some way toward that.

Also Robert Zubrin did a Mars analogue simulation; he could still be conducting that experiment. I'm not sure, so this experiment is not new.

Mars is an important milestone in our quest to become a space faring species. The Earth's resources are limited.

Thinking many centuries ahead, the concept of terraforming Mars often makes me consider the not insignificant issue of the lack of a magnetic field.

Mars lost its magnetic field a longtime ago; the iron core is now solid rather than a molten dynamo. Precisely why the atmosphere the planet enjoyed in the past has now been lost, a victim of the solar wind, gradually eroding the tenuous layer of gas until none was left.

The notion of terraforming mars is all well and good, but without a magnetic field any atmosphere would eventually be lost to space.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic