This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJHIGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is this?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 11:55pm
Can anyone tell me if they see this or why it is happening?

At EVERY single airport I go to or look at traffic as I fly over an airport I see a jet parked INSIDE the fuel station. Is this a bug or is there a fix?

Thanks.

Paul

i7 920 D0 Quad clocked up
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Cooler Master V8
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2 GB DDR3
Thermaltake V9 VJ4000
OCZ 800 PSU
630 GB WD 7200 RPM HD
XP 64
Accel
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 1:36am
It's a problem. I'm glad you asked the question. I think you should report the problem to support. I've encountered the same situation at many airports. Although I didn't encounter the problem when using FSX without Traffic X, I'm not sure whether the problem is caused by Traffic X, by FSX, or by both. It could be the additional traffic generated by Traffic X is making a problem that is an FSX problem appear to be a Traffic X problem. Nevertheless, there could be a workaround that could be found and implemented by the Traffic X developers.

I mentioned in another post, today, that I had found only a single non-helicopter parking spot at MCAS El Toro, in California. That spot was at a fuel station. When I set up a flight plan to land a C-130 at El Toro, its nose pushed into the fuel tank at the fuel station. When I modified the airport (using the freeware Airport Design Editor) and added one parking space, the pilot of my AI flight chose the new parking space. I think this proves that if it's "intelligent," it's not "artificial."
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 2:45am

This behaviour is not new to just Traffic X.  It used to happen with Traffic 2005 as well. And, if I recall, it even happens with the default AI from FSX (ie, without an AI program installed).  Although I may be wrong, that would seem to indicate the parking positions for fuel stations are the issue here, even with FSX defaults right out of the box.

One thing which may "create" this issue is the tendancy for some (all?) AI planes to park in the centre of their fuselages. In other words, they do not park with their nosewheel on the line, they taxi OVER the line and park with the centre of their fuselage's over the line. For small GA planes, you would see them park back from the fuel station because the length of their fuselages is short enough such that the aircraft nose does not "reach" the fuel station. But when a large commercial airliner parks there, the long fuselage means that the nose can definately reach and go past the fuel station. Hence, you see the plane parked annoyingly over the top of the fuel station.

So, as much as I may blame the parking positions of the fuel stations (per my first paragraph above), this may only be partly to blame. The behaviour of how some (all?) AI planes park in the centre of their fuselages seems to be at fault here as well.

An immediate fix may be to use an AFCAD editor and move the parking line back.  As long as this doing so doesn't interfere with other taxi-ways, that would work. But, the person doing the editing needs to also be mindful that there would be a trigger point at which the software knows the plane has stopped at a fuel station and tops up its fuel tanks. That trigger point would need to be moved as well.

PJHIGG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJHIGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 3:18am
Thanks for your replies. A couple of things here. I have never once seen this with the default FSX, ever.

The other thing is I do not even know what an afcad is. I see it all the time on the file libraries but I have no idea what it means or what it does. When I asked I was flamed. Such is life. At least I don't get flamed on the Corvette forum I belong to. Or here. Thanks for your answers. It is just something I will have to live with. I will just have to manually add fuel.

Paul
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Cooler Master V8
Thermaltake V9 VJ4000
OCZ 800 PSU
630 GB WD 7200 RPM HD
XP 64
Accel
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 8:11am
Originally posted by PJHIGG PJHIGG wrote:

... I have never once seen this with the default FSX, ever.

Hmmm.  I wasn't sure if it was in default vanilla FSX out of the box. So maybe it is just a "Traffic" thing ("Traffic 2005" ... "Traffic X").

Then again, perhaps this doesn't get seen in default FSX because Microsoft are careful to set their default AI flight plans up so that large jets don't fly to the regional airports where fuel stations are. They instead made sure that the large jets only flew to the larger international airports. But with Traffic 2005 and Traffic X flight plans are set up to quite realistically and legitimately fly large jets to the larger regional airports. In other words, maybe the problem IS there in the default FSX, but is not noticed because Microsoft was clever enough not to set their default AI jets to go to those places where the problem would show itself. I don't know. I'm only surmising. It's been a while since I ran default vanilla FSX.

What's an "AFCAD"?  AFCADs are the special files in Flight Simulator which contain the details of parking spots, taxi-ways, runway information, buildings, jetways and all the stuff associated with an airport. AFCAD is an acronym which stands for "Airport Facility Computer Aided Design". The name comes from a small software utility tool that was written for FS2004 by a keen Flight Sim hobbyist for editing these airport files. The tool was called, simply, "AFCAD". The tool was so popular that the name "AFCAD" stuck. Flight Sim X changed the structure of the airport files a little, and doesn't use AFCAD files as such ... but, due to the popularity of the AFCAD tool for FS2004, people still call airport files "AFCAD files" or "AFCADs".

Today, it is possible to find many different software utilities for editing airport files. A well known one is "ADE" ("Airport Design Editor"). But there are plenty of others.

PJHIGG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJHIGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 1:29pm
Thanks a lot for your explanation of what AFCAD files are, I appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me. This kind of stuff is WAY over my head to even attempt a go at it. I wouldn't know where to begin. Besides, I fly only FSX, but I see a lot of AFCAD files for FSX too. It is too confusing to me. If it is not self installed I am not sure I want to bother with it.

Paul

PS: I think you are right about the traffic thing because it is ALWAYS jets stuck in the fuel pumps.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Cooler Master V8
Thermaltake V9 VJ4000
OCZ 800 PSU
630 GB WD 7200 RPM HD
XP 64
Accel
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 9:09pm

I do know what you mean. Stuff like this can be confusing and seem quite daunting. With regard to AFCAD files, yes, you would see many references to "AFCADs" on various forums and download web pages. Basically, if people have used an airport editor tool (an AFCAD program) and edited an airport to add new stuff, or to move things around, or fix bugs, then they may wish to share their work with others. They upload the AFCAD to the internet so that others can download and "install" it in to Flight Simulator. It is a simple matter of downloading the AFCAD file and copying it in to the appropriate Flight Simulator folder on your computer. The next time you run FSX, the changes are there. Done. That's it. You copy the file, the changes are immediate. There's no special requirements, or anything technical to understand or do. One thing to note though is that it is obviously a good idea to remove the existing airport file otherwise you will have two files for the one airport and that can lead to problems (move it, don't delete it; always keep the original file as a backup). Usually the author of the AFCAD file provides some instructions about where to copy it and what to do with the existing file that's already there in FSX.

But, of course, there's no obligation here. If people choose to leave well alone or are not entirely sure about this kind of stuff, then there's no need to do anything. If FSX is working fine and their happy with things as they are, then that's perfectly OK.

PJHIGG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJHIGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 10:00pm
OH, I understand now! I thought you had to have the special software to do it. All you gotta do is download it and move it to the correct folder and you're done? I can't believe how many times I have seen one and thought that would be cool but I never knew how to do it. I might try my hand at this IF the instructions are easily understood and I would back up like you said.

Thanks.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Cooler Master V8
Thermaltake V9 VJ4000
OCZ 800 PSU
630 GB WD 7200 RPM HD
XP 64
Accel
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 1:19am
Originally posted by PJHIGG PJHIGG wrote:

OH, I understand now! I thought you had to have the special software to do it. All you gotta do is download it and move it to the correct folder and you're done?

Yep.  That's it. No special software or anything.  Put the file in and restart Flight Sim.

Just remember to keep a copy of the existing original file as a backup.  That way, if you don't like the airport changes that have been made, you can always put the original one back.
PJHIGG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJHIGG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 2:46am
Thanks again!
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Cooler Master V8
Thermaltake V9 VJ4000
OCZ 800 PSU
630 GB WD 7200 RPM HD
XP 64
Accel
 Post Reply Post Reply