This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Landings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buceph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Landings
    Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:59pm
I just downloaded this, and I have to say that if anything comes of this, it's going to be an improvement on my landings. My first one went alright, only 3% damage to my cargo. But then I went to another runway in the middle of nowhere. And it was harsh. I bumped down quite badly, but it wrote off 71% of the cargo or it's value. For the moment, I'm going to blame the lack of PAPI lights, but the one thing I can tell is that I can't have this standard of landings if I'm to make any money.
robbo316 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:13pm
I've found that one of the best ways to hone your landing skill, is to get hold of FSpassengers (FS9 and FSX). Since I have been using them, my worst landing was, I think, -346ft/m, pitch of 3.46deg. The best was -124ft/m, pitch 1.71deg. It just takes some practice. Bizzarely, I find that the larger planes are easier to land than the little cessnas, and the like!!
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:19pm
Robbo - AirHauler does the same thing, no FSPax necessary - see the Flight Log for details :)
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Buceph View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buceph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:36pm
And it does it punishingly. Only my second flight and repairs of nearly €500,000 to the Caravan. Geek
Scooternjng View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooternjng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Buceph Buceph wrote:

And it does it punishingly. Only my second flight and repairs of nearly €500,000 to the Caravan. Geek

Ouch Ouch

Looks like I'll be working on my landings....Confused
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke, Irish philosopher & statesman
Buceph View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buceph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 12:25am
:(

Despite getting an OK landing, it still wiped the remaining composition of the aircraft off it. So my plane needs 100% repairs and is worth nothing. I might as well bin this company and start again.

:(
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 7:09am
Remember and buy insurance until your landings improve a little! :) (Fleet Screen - Insure Aircraft).

You must be hammering it down onto the runway - for best results you want to land with less than -600 fpm vsi, and at the appropriate speed.
AirHauler Developer
Buceph View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buceph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:15pm
Comparing these two reports I thought the second one was actually a better landing, the only real difference is the pitch in the landing. So how do you read that?

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:17pm
Surface damage - you landed in "Forest" scenery, so either the scenery is wrong (possible) or you landed off the runway (i.e. not on the surface AH expected).
AirHauler Developer
Buceph View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buceph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:21pm
I don't think I did, but I'm not too sure. Is it possible that if I taxied onto the grass that it would create that reading?
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:39pm
It's the surface when you touched down which is recorded. Once you're down, it doesn't matter.
AirHauler Developer
Buceph View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buceph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:40pm
Ok, just a bad landing then. I think I'll restart and see if I can manage a bit better. And I'll be buying insurance.
gilb29 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilb29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 2:46pm
Fly the wilco 737 and autoland :P get perfect everytime :) 
11jovic View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11jovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 2:56pm
that a cheat really this is flying at its best if you fly by yourself ;)
haha

i use the pmdg 1900c that can be handful but its awesome tbh nice to fly
j.staddon
gilb29 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilb29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 3:00pm
A little cheat i guess but have you tried landing a 737 with a joystick Shocked. but i love the 737 and autoland is hard you have to get the correct speed and procedures though!!
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Buceph Buceph wrote:

...but the one thing I can tell is that I can't have this standard of landings if I'm to make any money.

Heh, heh Tongue

I was surprised at first when I discovered this feature with AH. Since I was used to no one watching over my shoulder as I flew in the sim, I was used to doing sloppy landings and just banging it down any old way.Confused

Since AH, I've learned to do a proper, stabilized approach (as is required in the real world), be cognizant of my approach speeds (absolutely critical in the real world) and put the plane down as if there were paying passengers on board.
And yes, that means you won't be able to accept any 1400' grass strips with your PMDG 757.Ouch

When I look at my flight log, all I have are "okay" and "greaser" for my landing ratings. That's how to rake in the dough!Tongue
ddavid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 6:06pm
Or get a set of these:

Ask Joe (Mutleys Hangar) where he got his! Clap

Cheers - Dai (EGFE). Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic