This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F-Lite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lamding flite 747

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cappy44b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lamding flite 747
    Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 1:23am
everytime i land, the plane bangs onto the runway-even on perfect touchdowns.
not a fuel or trim problem-any suggestions?
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 4:32pm
Probably just technique. The correct technique in a large jet aircraft is to 'fly the aircraft onto the runway', rather than stalling it onto the runway as you would do in a light aircraft. Basically fly the approach at the correct approach speed, then at 50ft above the runway raise the nose a little - but keep the power on - although make sure you don't raise the nose too much otherwise you'll go back up again! At the 30ft call slowly bring the power back to idle and hold the backpressure as the speed bleeds off. You should touch nice and smoothly. If you idle the power too early you'll come down heavy. If this does happen, you can give it a small burst of power just before you touch down to kill some of the sink.
Kind regards,
Tom
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 4:44pm
Flare (raise the nose) no more then 10 ft AGL otherwise you'll "float it"

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 8:53pm
10ft is a bit low. You'll result in a hard touchdown. Begin the flare at 50 ft, but very gently. It doesn't have to be by very much, just enough to ease the rate of descent. If you syncronise your flare with your throttle retardation, you'll have a lovely soft landing.
Kind regards,
Tom
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 9:27pm
10ft is what Mike Ray says.  Quote from his book: "DO NOT start your flare above 10ft. YOU WILL FLOAT."
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:09pm
I'm following advice given to me from the PMDG forum regarding the 747-400. If you flare any later than 50ft it will be hard. By flare, I don't mean just raise the nose randomly, I mean ever so slightly (you'll hardly move the stick at all) just to reduce the descent rate from what it was (around 500ft/min) to around 10ft/min, which isn't much. Then reduce thrust.
Kind regards,
Tom
cappy44b View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cappy44b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:15pm
thank you for your advice i have landed many 747 sims with no problem-but this one is tough
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 1:17pm
Practice makes perfectWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic