This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

airports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaugust4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: airports
    Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 9:09pm
Can't remember if I saw this someplace, but is there a provision for setting the types of airports that one prefers to fly TO? My one complaint with Cargo Pilot was that it would give me a list of airports to fly cargo to and most would be to a private airstrip or, worse, a water port. Thank heaven for AirNav! Not that I don't like landing at private airstrips, but CP seemed to concentrate HEAVILY on this one place.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 9:11pm
There's a slider option for airport size. All the way to the left, and you'll get farm strips, all the way to the right, you'll only get proper airports. Pay attention to where you base is though and which aircraft you have stationed there.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
jaugust4 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaugust4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 7:55pm
THANKS!
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:01pm

CP seemed to have an anomaly in the cargo generation routine which caused it to create a tremendous number of cargoes for whichever airport ICAO code sorted dead last on the list.  In my case, it was Z98.  In Dree's it was some Chinese airport. 

John

John Allard
jaugust4 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaugust4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

CP seemed to have an anomaly in the cargo generation routine which caused it to create a tremendous number of cargoes for whichever airport ICAO code sorted dead last on the list.  In my case, it was Z98.  In Dree's it was some Chinese airport. 

John

Ottawa Executive! THAT'S the one I always get! They need a lot of fish and dairy products there.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 9:22pm

Yes, Z98 is Ottowa Executive, in Zeeland, Michigan.  As I recall, the runway is plenty long enough, but is about the width of a sidewalk. 

I only flew there once, in the Caravan, in a snowstorm.  There was less than a mile visibility and no navaids.  Fortunately my arrival was just after daybreak and I made it on my 5th approach.  I never went back there, despite having pages and pages of cargo destined for the place every time I threw the CP cargo dice. 

You won't have that promlem in AH.

John Allard
John Allard
jaugust4 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaugust4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 9:40pm
Z98 is just about across the "pond from me. Some of my flights there have been lucrative so have continued to make deliveries. 
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 10:10pm
I grew up in Ludington and had my career in St. Joseph, not so far from you, but both also across the lake.  Has the snow gone away yet?

John
John Allard
jaugust4 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaugust4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 12:25am
Most of it is gone. I'm from the UP originally. Born and raised there. Have a sister and brother that live in the Southern part of the LP. Rode the ferry from Ludington on a couple of occasions.
spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

There's a slider option for airport size. All the way to the left, and you'll get farm strips, all the way to the right, you'll only get proper airports. Pay attention to where you base is though and which aircraft you have stationed there.

But this is a general setting right ? I mean you cannot specify for each hub seperadly what jobs you want right ?
So, if I have a hub in hawaii for small cargo planes and a hub in Luxemburg for 747 how do I change the slider then ?
--> don't want to land the 747 on a grass strip

If you can carry it, we can transport it.
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:20pm
Good point spidierox. I am wainting for the answer too. How we do when we want operate 747 fleet and Caravan at the same time in diferents hub's...

I think  the better idea is, have a slider option to each Hub that we have to regulate the flights in hub' s separate! I think that is not impossible...
dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:31pm

AH doesn't trick you into grass strips with a 747, it only generates jobs from and to strips that are suitable for the plane, no matter were your slider is. It's hard coded.

It’s possible to do but then you do it yourself, you can open a base on a grass strip and buy a 747 and put it on that base, AH will warn you and ask you if this is right but can’t stop you from being stupid Smile you even get jobs I think.

Making separate options for every plane and every base and for every plane other options for every other base made our programmer go wild.. Smile 

Dree

Scooternjng View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooternjng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 9:04pm
Of course, another option is to just fly stuff that used to be painted green, and has a C in front of it's numerical or NATO designator (DeHaviland C-7, Fairchild C-123, Lockheed C-130, C-141, C-5; Transall C-160, Il-76 Candid, etc).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke, Irish philosopher & statesman
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 5:22am

You can, of course, run your company as you wish, but AH is intended to be a business simulation and was created to plausibly model RW air freight operations.  If a user creates a convoluted sceneario, AH may not do everything quite as desired.

The airport size slider is a general setting.  It would be impractical to have separate airport preference settings for each base. For example, what should AH do for non-base or base to base jobs?  It just makes more sense as a global setting.

AH generates plenty of jobs (there's a "Number of Jobs" slider too).  If some are inappropriate for your AC at a certain location, they needn't be accepted.  Plenty of the jobs will be appropriate and those can be accepted and flown.  AH will generate more jobs than you can fly. Some will always be fitting. AH will always try to generate at least some jobs that are suitable for each AC type in your fleet.

Additional AC increase the number of jobs generated. Adding bases has the same effect.  You won't lack for jobs unless you set the Number of Jobs slider low.

If for some reason you want to fly a 747 and a Beaver in the same company and want a mix of airports, set the slider in the middle and see how it works.

It falls to the user to be sure that the AC selected for a job is appropriate for the cargo and can handle both of the airports involved. As Dree points out, the app does not try to trick you.  Full information about both airports is a click away before you commit to the job.

If all else fails, fly the Beaver in one company and the aluminum overcast in another, with suitable airport settings for each. 

Finally, a tip of the hat to Scooter, who gives good advice.  Military cargo types generally do a pretty good job of getting cargo into unimproved airstrips if you learn how to fly them to their full capability.

John

John Allard
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 5:50am
Great reply John - let's not over-complicate this thing!

And I reckon the Beaver and Twin Otter with their STOL capabilities would be pretty good too!

Malcolm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic