This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Advice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 4:39pm
Quote Higher Nitrogen Oxide (an air pollutant) emissions than petrol

Summary:
More environmentally friendly and economical for long distance drivers.

Contradiction?

The secret is getting a large (2.5L or greater), 5 or 6 cylinder engine. 4 cylinder diesels are rubbish.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:14pm
No they're not. Yeah like 1.2 liter ok, but a nice 2.0 TDI is pure robust mechanics. 170bhp and 350NM, how's that rubbish?
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by 767nutter 767nutter wrote:

Diesels are not always better, the torque on my dads 1.9tdi drops after about 4.8k considerably.

Well that can't be true...I had a Golf V 1.9 TDI and the max rev you could do was 4500, so that's a bit hard to believe... Still don't understand why people love to rev up their engines though. Everyday I see people starting their cold engines and revving them to 3k,some are even more retarded and take them to 5-6k... then when the engine burns 10 liters of oil every mile and eventually disintegrates they say brand x is crap, don't buy them...
Well I have a message for you pal, learn how to treat your car properly, also learn to respect noise levels in the neighborhood.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:53pm
Quote Everyday I see people starting their cold engines and revving them to 3k,some are even more retarded and take them to 5-6k

My car has to be taken up to at least 3k revs in order to make any real progress. Yes you shouldn't thrash a cold engine but 3k rev isn't particularly high on a petrol engine...
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:59pm
Ouh... depends on the engine I guess... It is high for my petrol engine though, it does its job fine between 1500 and 2500 rpm. But then, there are some honda engines that go up to 9000, yes 9000 rpm, and 3000 won't really matter. But yeah, you get the picture, not saying people should learn mechanics, just saying, if you treat it bad, it'll let go, Toyota or not.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:54am
I think the real problem is how little we are taught when learning to drive. My girlfriend knows absolutely nothing about cars, how they work and what to watch out for. She didn't even realise that she should pull over straight away if the engine temp rises above its normal level...that I find very scary!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 9:18am

Reminds me of my brother in law and his old air cooled engine many years ago. He was overheating in the summer sunshine, slap bang in the middle of the West Midland Safari Park.

He wasn't alone; others were having the same issue as a result of the heat, and idling for an extended time observing the animals. I watched in shock, as he, and the others jumped out of their cars while they cooled down... right next to a group of white rhino’s seprated by wooden logs no more than six inches high. They actually walked up to them, within a foot or two, until a jeep with a park official drove past and screamed at them to get back in their cars. Big%20smile

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Why do you think all vehicles that need huge amounts or torque, e.g. trains, tanks, trucks, ships etc. have diesel engines and not petrol engines? (forgetting those that have gas turbines)

Because they pull a heavy load, they don’t accelerate rapidly.

Exactly - they need huge amounts of torque at low revs. Who said anything about rapid acceleration.

Your objective is to obviously win points, argue for competitive reasons, to win an argument, dragging up past comments regrading speed limiters, rather than to determine the truth.

Nope. You've argued the toss with pointy plenty of times in the past and then got quite insulting when he wouldn't give in to you - were they for points of competitive reasons?. Perhaps I am argumentative, but then that makes you no less the same...

Childish! I thought better of you.

Okay, fine, I'm done here...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:07pm
Can't believe Vin Diesel's still at and had to have the last word. Big%20smile

I only ever argue to get at the truth never to beat anyone, my old pal pointy does exasperate me in regard to GW at times though I must admit. Wink
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:11pm
He didn't - you did!

Shocked
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:15pm
Shocked No you did!
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:45pm
Pot kettle black... Nuke
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

We should all drive Toyota Aygo's. Plenty of power for normal driving from it's super economical [61mpg] 998cc engine with variable valve timing, plus low insurance and dirt cheap tax. [£35 per year]

We should. If I were buying a new car now it may well be one of the Aygo/C1/107 family.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:54pm
A certain SimUK owns an Aygo!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:57pm

£14.00 of LPG fills the tank ..and will take you 270 miles ..

Road tax for 12 months is just £15.00 under the November Budget rules.

Shocked

£8500 though!
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:22pm
Yes it would take you quite a while to make enough savings to cover the cost of the car
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 9:05pm
Those cars scare me... Seem so flimsy.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 8:48am
I believe they are everything but Flimsy Dambuster. Very good crash rating and air bags everywhere, ABS as well of course.

Seems small cars are far safer than the used to be. Of course the bigger the car the better though I suppose, bigger crumple zones etc.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Dambuster Dambuster wrote:

Originally posted by 767nutter 767nutter wrote:

Diesels are not always better, the torque on my dads 1.9tdi drops after about 4.8k considerably.

Well that can't be true...I had a Golf V 1.9 TDI and the max rev you could do was 4500, so that's a bit hard to believe... Still don't understand why people love to rev up their engines though. Everyday I see people starting their cold engines and revving them to 3k,some are even more retarded and take them to 5-6k... then when the engine burns 10 liters of oil every mile and eventually disintegrates they say brand x is crap, don't buy them...
Well I have a message for you pal, learn how to treat your car properly, also learn to respect noise levels in the neighborhood.

Well that can't be true...I had a Golf V 1.9 TDI and the max rev you could do was 4500, so that's a bit hard to believe

Sorry my mistake i meant 3.8 Embarrassed but truth be told the company vehicles i drive they are diesels and one we have can rev upto 5k before just bouncing on the line.

Still don't understand why people love to rev up their engines though. Everyday I see people starting their cold engines and revving them to 3k,some are even more retarded and take them to 5-6k

taking a petrol upto 3k while cold is fine, it also depends how much workload you put on the engine, if you were putting your foot right to the floor on the accelerator pedal but still changing at about 2-2.5k that can do as much damage as thrashing it while cold. While my engine is cold i only push about halfway down and always change before 3k, i only take it upto about 5.5k max after 15-20mins solid driving so the engine is hot enough. ( and only if i am in a rush )  as the only downside to revving the engine high is that it uses more fuel.

Well I have a message for you pal, learn how to treat your car properly, also learn to respect noise levels in the neighborhood

I treat my car properly, the k series can be revved as much as you want it too as long as everything is upto check, i service mine every six months or 7500miles, instead of the recommended 12 months or 15000miles. It has passed every MOT no problem.
Also you should use the full rev range on occasion to blow the cobwebs out. I.E burn the carbon off, prevent sticky valves, help stop the pistons getting carbon build up on the crowns e.t.c..
Driving like a granny all the time can sometimes do more harm than good. As a friend who is a mechanic says; he gets people about 50years+ ( martin i am not aiming this at you by the way ) bring in their car for a MOT and because they always keep the revs low rubbish has built up in the exhaust, etc, and it fails the emissions test. So he or a colleague take it for a spin on a dual carriageway and thrash it out.

Also dambuster i live out in the countryside, and take the country roads to work, so no neighbourhood noise levels for me thank you very much.

Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 2:05pm
I hope you didn't think I was aiming this at you, I was just talking about the typical driver who doesn't know much about mechanics, (well I don't either, but at least I know what not to do) the type I see everyday. shoot out like a rocket from our driveway while they know very well that there are people in their gardens or kids playing etc....
Yeah, about revving up your engine when it's warm, I do that occasionally, especially with the TDI, what you said is quite true.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic