This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Advice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Dambuster Dambuster wrote:

Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Don't go for Fiestas/Corsas - they're "boy racer" cars.

Really? I've never driven anything slower than a Corsa... they suck... the biggest engine they have is 1.6 I think.. how racy can that possibly be? Why would insurance be expensive given the lawnmower engines they have?

Young people tune these so-called 'lawnmower' engines, and if done right it can prove to be quite powerful. Combine the fact that a well placed tree can split one in half, deadly but effective.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 9:06pm
Sorry Martin, didn't mean to hyjack your topic!

Yes Corsas and Fiestas are definitely the two most popular. They're not that fast, but you only have to look at the way they're driven to find out why insurance is so expensive!! My cousin paid about £1700 for his first year (two years ago). He had a 12 year old Nissan Micra!
Kind regards,
Tom
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 9:49pm
Quote £1700 ... He had a 12 year old Nissan Micra!

He was royally done! Shocked  The car can't have been worth that!!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 9:01am

Martin, what are you going to get instead?
As I said above to Magic Dambuster [and thanks for handing my thread back to me Wink] nothing, I drive my wifes car. Smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 9:02am
Don't go for Fiestas/Corsas - they're "boy racer" cars. They may be cheap cars but very expensive to insure.

Vulcan's at it again! Big%20smile
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Don't go for Fiestas/Corsas - they're "boy racer" cars.

Really? I've never driven anything slower than a Corsa... they suck... the biggest engine they have is 1.6 I think.. how racy can that possibly be? Why would insurance be expensive given the lawnmower engines they have?

Wrong.....you can get a 1.8 SRi which is Rapid

As insurance goes I paid £2500 for my first year! I have about a month left till I have to renew so my first quota was £1300ish which is getting better!

The Fact is that young male drivers cause alot of accidents and thats why the insurance will always be high, no matter what car you get!

I bought a 2004 3 door 1.2 SXi 16v Corsa for my first car! I paid £3800 and he had done 48,000 miles! Had warranty tho.

My mate got a 1.0 3 door 2003 Corsa for £3000 with 33,000 mile on the clock!

I have had no problem with my corsa and love it! Its a great little run about car and thats all you need at 17/18!

Heres my beast!

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 3:41pm
Right that's illegal for a start you young thug, it has no number plate.

I'm sending Ross round to arrest you. Big%20smile

Always knew kids were trouble.

In case anyone's still interested in my topic, now mutated into a different form by teenage hooligans... my cars now gone. And I admit it was an emotional moment. Cry
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

In case anyone's still interested in my topic, now mutated into a different form by teenage hooligans... my cars now gone. And I admit it was an emotional moment. Cry

How much you get for it?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 6:09pm
It's a secret!
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 7:31pm
Mrbobo, sorry that's still a small engine...
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 9:33pm
Dambuster are you smoking pot you stupid fool? What size engine do YOU expect a young person to have? Angry
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 9:55pm
I'd call a 2.0, 200 bhp engine, powerful enough... that's what I have under the hood by the way. More power you have, the better off you are.
Thanks for the insult.
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 10:25pm
You don't understand. You really think young drivers (17-20) are going to be able to afford to run 2 litre engined cars? I think not, hence why they have 'lawnmower engined' cars.

And you're not necessarily better off with a bigger engine either, bigger engines tend use more fuel. Yes they may be faster but you'll be filling up more often!

My engine's 1.2 or 1.4 (not sure) but it certainly isn't slow, still, if all you're using it for is to go from A to B like moi then small can be beneficial. 
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Hot_Charlie Hot_Charlie wrote:

Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Whilst on the subject of cars i'll be looking for one soon as I turn 17 in May! Looking for something like a Fiesta or a Corsa, but the thing that really is catching me out is insurance! I've got several quotes for a variety of different cars and of different age cars and most have been in excess of £3000!! Do you guys have any recommendations or advice on cheap car insurance or the best cars to get that are cheaper to insure?

Get something cheap, undesirable by chavs, and shop around for your quotes. By all means use the comparison sites, but don't take them as gospel.

My first insurance, a decade ago, was a shade over £800, so today I probably wouldn't expect too much change from £1500.

Twright, the maximum size engine you would want as a first car is no higher than a 1.4.

Also i do not know who you have been trying to get insurance from but when i got my 25 1.4 it only cost me £600 and that was fully comp too.

Young people tune these so-called 'lawnmower' engines, and if done right it can prove to be quite powerful.

You can never tune an engine below a 1.4 in the ''right'' way. For starters when the car rolled out of the factory the car was designed for that engine and the engine was designed to go a certain speed. This equals to the fact that if you tune a engine it can be powerful, but not for long, it will wear the engine out much quicker. Other things you might have to replace if you tune up a engine may be; air filter, exhaust, suspension, throttle body, etc etc, its very expensive to do. You will be better off buying a car with a bigger engine after forking out all the dosh

And you're not necessarily better off with a bigger engine either, bigger engines tend use more fuel. Yes they may be faster but you'll be filling up more often!

Not with the new Jag XF your not, it's new 3litre diesel engine can get nearly 50mpg.  My 1.4 averages about 42mpg. But yes in most cases bigger engines uses more fuel.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 8:56am

I'd call a 2.0, 200 bhp engine, powerful enough... that's what I have under the hood by the way. More power you have, the better off you are.

Dambuster... you are a boy racer hooligan.

You can never tune an engine below a 1.4 in the ''right'' way. For starters when the car rolled out of the factory the car was designed for that engine and the engine was designed to go a certain speed. This equals to the fact that if you tune a engine it can be powerful, but not for long, it will wear the engine out much quicker

I assure you that you can!

Yes, engine wear will be greater 'if you drive it to the max' but you can of course drive sensibly and have the extra performance in reserve.

There are plenty of highly tuned, small engine, cars still on the road after many years.

As for the air filter, it  may have to be the fuel injection that was modified as well as the [cheap] filter, and perhaps the engine management system 'chipped' in addition and maybe exhaust modifications. Cars breath, a free flow exhaust manifold helps, more air in more gasses out. Brakes and suspension may also be required depending on the state of the components already fitted. Modern cars tend to have very good brakes, and suspension is better than it was also, so for a mild tune they may be sufficient.

Extreme tuning is a different proposition. Then you can go bonkers with high lift cam shafts and polishing and porting heads etc. And bigger pistons.

Sometimes with modern cars just chipping the engine management system can give a handy boost.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 11:27am

2.2 litres or beastiness here...! And she is a real beast. Like Dambuster, we smile as we cruise along and pass little whimpy engines screaming at high revs just to move...WinkBig%20smile

Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

2.2 litres or beastiness here...! And she is a real beast. Like Dambuster, we smile as we cruise along and pass little whimpy engines screaming at high revs just to move...WinkBig%20smile

I'm sure my little corsa could still beat most 2 litre cars! Its about the driver not the car!
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 2:12pm
Well my insurance is no where near what you guys have for your 'economical' corsas and fiestas... those numbers seem very very expensive indeed. Well of course, we don't live in the same country so one can't really compare.
Yeah Magic, I know how you feel, people hate me (does car hating ring a bell? ) for driving a car, it's like I'm a criminal, a murderer...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 4:03pm

Forgive me magic magic man, but aren't you the individual that proclaims to be a law abiding motorist and never brakes the speed limit?

If so, and given that very few people drive slower that the speed limit, how do you actually achieve that pray tell? Wink

dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 4:54pm
Do yourself a favour bud, Buy yourself a Skoda Felicia or Fabia, both excellent reliable cars. if you want more info check (or czech) out the club website, www.southcoastskoda.com.Big%20smile
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic