This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Long Haul Home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Long Haul Home
    Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 7:15am
Those who know me from the previous forum are aware of my keeness for 'reality'.

In particular when starting up (which I intend to do in career/difficult mode) I will be searching the real aviation sales websites for my initial aircraft, in this case a Cessna 172 - the Carenado with an appropriate Australian repaint.

I have found the aircraft I would like to purchase in Cairns, and so I would fly up there (spoilt for choice Airline-wise!) and grab the 172 - this part is pretend of course, but I do add the time it would take to get from Adelaide to Cairns prior to starting AH.

After all that, my question is - as I intend to set up my base in South Australia initially, can I pick up cargo in Cairns and make the trip back to SA profitable by picking up/dropping off any number of cargos en route?

And the really curly one - one of my favourite bush planes (apart from the land plane Beaver) is the Dornier Do-27. Would you believe there's one of these in Namibia (an A1) for sale. How would I go flying back to Oz all that distance - still possible to haul cargo en route?

And before you ask - no, I would not fly straight across the Indian Ocean!

Looking forward to any comments.

Malcolm
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 2:01pm

Malcolm,

On initial start-up, AH will require you to take delivery of your starting AC at your first base.  Subsequent AC acquisitions offer you the choice of where to "receive" the AC but the list is limited to your bases.  I guess you must assume that the seller is anxious enough to bring the AC to you, which may not be a bad supposition in this economy.

Your starting AC will be the default MS C-172 in those modes.  If you want to buy the Carenado version, you'll have to sell the other and then buy (or lease) the one you want.

The AH cargo generation routine is pretty intelligent and will, eventually, generate a job or two originating near where you are if you are "out of position" a long way from one of your bases.  That may mean waiting a while for other jobs to expire and fall off the list, however.  (Chalk up the delay to your office helper beating the brush to drum up some job prospects in the remote area.)

The number of jobs available (which can be set with an Options slider) is not a constant, but remains roughly the same (say plus or minus 10% or less).  Two jobs completed or expired does not necessarily mean that exactly two more will be generated to replace them - it's deliberately a little fuzzier than that.

Most jobs are either to or from a base though a small but significant portion of them are between non-base airports. In any case, offered jobs tend to be clustered around your base(s), within an area roughly defined by your AC range and your setting of the Job Distance slider in Options.

Long, empty flights (dead-heads) are not very exciting or profitable and you should, of course try to find cargo along the way, even if it means some detours, as it usually does. At all times and in all situations, the AC must be flown from where it is to where you want it, either by you or an AI, with or without a paying load.

I'm not sure how to simulate going to Namibia to pick up an airplane from a base in Oz within AH, but someone may think of a way. 

John

John Allard
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 9:57pm
Thanks John

As I've said before I am continually amazed by the depth and realism of AH.Clap

Like your idea of getting them to deliver the aircraft to me at start up!

The Namibia thing is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it would certainly make for a great adventure.

Malcolm
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 12:02am
If you could afford it, a second base located in Namibia (you could close it later, at some cost in money and reputation points) would allow you to acquire an AC there and hopscotch it back to Australia.  I think adventure is exactly the right word.

John
John Allard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic