This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some questions from AH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some questions from AH
    Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 4:30am
Hi all

First of all, congrats to all staff that put your time in this softwareSmile
I have read some topics in this forum, and this software seems to me fantastic in the way is conceived. I wait to much time to have something like this, that joins virtual with real values, like bank, real fuel prices, financial tradings, and much more...
But I have some questions to ask, that I never see explained, at least I not read, for example:
1- If, we choose a airport to start, and them, after a few time, we don't want stay there, and want to move to another one, we can do this? without loss anything? just move to another airport that we can think that could be better than the previous one?
2- We can add any aircraft, since the C150 to AN225?
3- What type of airport is better to start, a cost commitment/benefit, international, regional or some forgotten and dusty track?Confused
4- We can invest in others airlines?Big%20smile
5- We can see rankings from all airlines that use the AH, to compare with ours?.
6- Can we have some fuel stock in our hub, for example, when we buy the fuel "cheap" and keep as a reserve to our fleet?
7- What currency type AH use, only £ ?
8- Can we use Time Acceleration without penalty, for who don´t have to much time to spend in long cruise flights?Cry
9- How AI works, for example, we can put our AI pilot flying  A - B and B - A or other combination as a routine? and AI pilot fly real time too?Confused
10- Careear mode is different from Easy / medium/ Hard start?Confused
Cheers!
I wait that AH it is available more soon possibleWink
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 6:06am

Thanks for the kind words, but Duncan is the one who deserves all the credit.  All the rest of us did was test and gripe.

1- If, we choose a airport to start, and them, after a few time, we don't want stay there, and want to move to another one, we can do this? without loss anything? just move to another airport that we can think that could be better than the previous one?

You can open and close bases whenever you wish, but you have to pay to open a new one.  If you close one, you leave some unhappy customers behind and your company reputation suffers, which has some consequences.

2- We can add any aircraft, since the C150 to AN225?

Yes, or hang gliders or the Space Shuttle or the Starship Enterprise.  I even used the Just Flight Follow Me van with an AI pilot once.  If it can be installed and flown in FS it can be imported and purchased or leased in AH.

3- What type of airport is better to start, a cost commitment/benefit, international, regional or some forgotten and dusty track?

Airport type has little to do with what kind of jobs you are offered.  It has more to do with your cargo preference settings and aircraft type and how many airports lie within range of your base.  What kind of airport to choose at the beginning depends on several factors, including what kind of flying you like to do and what kind of AC you like to fly and what part of the world you'd like to fly in and how difficult you want it to be.  My preferences run to starting in Career Mode with a small AC and not much money, but I prefer larger airports, not grass strips.  I can do all that.  Starting in career mode means waiting for a while before  you can hire AI pilots and longer yet before you can get a bank loan.  If moving into a heavy (and expensive) aircraft very soon is important to you, you can start in medium or easy mode.  The starting options are very flexible.

4- We can invest in others airlines?

Not sure I understand.  You can start as many companies as you wish, but each is separate and do not share funds, aircraft, pilots, bases or anything else.

5- We can see rankings from all airlines that use the AH, to compare with ours?

It's being worked on.  I'm not sure if it's going to be in the initial release or not.

6- Can we have some fuel stock in our hub, for example, when we buy the fuel "cheap" and keep as a reserve to our fleet?

You cannot stockpile fuel except in the tanks of your airplanes.  You're a freight operator, not a commodities speculator.  You do get a discount on fuel purchased at one of your bases.  One of our testers, who flies freight for real, tells us that "ferrying fuel" is a losing proposition.  It costs more to carry the extra weight than you can save.

7- What currency type AH use, only £ ?

I use US Dollars.  I don't know what the other choices are, but I know some of the other testers are using GBP, so at least those two are available.

8- Can we use Time Acceleration without penalty, for who don´t have to much time to spend in long cruise flights?

Yes.  You can set time of day as you wish and you can use accelerated time if you wish to.  There is no penalty for either.  You do have to complete the jobs you accept before they expire, however, and that is based on RW time, not sim time.

9- How AI works, for example, we can put our AI pilot flying  A - B and B - A or other combination as a routine? and AI pilot fly real time too? 

You accept jobs and assign them to AI more or less in series, though they can carry two jobs at the same time if they both originate at the same airport.  AI will also make multiple trips to move a cargo that is too heavy to carry in a single load.  You may load up an AI's schedule with any number of jobs and he will fly them in series, in real time.  Job expirations apply to them too and if they are late delivering a cargo, there are consequences.

10- Careear mode is different from Easy / medium/ Hard start?

Career is the same starting position as difficult, but you are also subject to the same MTOW limitations as the AI and you must earn promotions in rating/rank by completing a certain number of jobs before being allowed to pilot the next heavier class of aircraft.  In Difficult, Medium and Easy modes, the owner/pilot is not subject to those weight limitations and can fly any aircraft he can afford, right from the start, regardless of AC weight.  Other than that Career and Difficult are the same.

John Allard

John Allard
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:14am
Excellent replies from John there, here's a few more comments ;)

5- We can see rankings from all airlines that use the AH, to compare with ours?

This should be in the initial release - just checking it's working just now! Note that there's no "Leaderboard" as such (i.e. you don't get "points")- you can review other companies stats, and order lists to suit.

Fuel stocking may come in a later version, or it might be implemented as hedging (where you fix the price you'll pay for fuel at your bases for a set period of time).

7- What currency type AH use, only £ ?

AH is currency "agnostic". AH will show ALL prices in the currency your computer has set in the regional settings. Note that you need US/English style currency separators for AH to work properly. (i.e. 100,000.23 not 100.000,23). The only place you'll notice this is in the StockMarket - if you're based in the UK, and buy shares on the NYSE or DAX, AH will use the values there as £s. In the same way, if you're in the US, and buy FTSE or DAX shares, the prices are treated as $. This removes the need for exchange rates.

9- How AI works, for example, we can put our AI pilot flying A - B and B - A or other combination as a routine? and AI pilot fly real time too?

You can assign multiple jobs to an AI Pilot, these can be A-B, A-C, B-C etc etc. AH will show you a list of activities the AI pilot will then do (i.e. fly to somewhere, load/unload cargo) for you to review before accepting. You can change the order in which the AI pilot will try and complete the jobs to come up with the most efficient routing.

AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 11:14am

Did I understand it correctly that we need to change our regional settings to make AH work properly ?

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 11:28am
Yes - or more specifically, your currency separators. (Not the language/currency symbol etc).

This is fairly standard inline with other products - handling non US/UK currency separators is quite time consuming and involved.

It may be (no promises!) that in localised releases of AirHauler (which there are plans for), that this will be addressed, but if you're getting the English version on release at the end of the month, you'll need US/UK style currency separators.
AirHauler Developer
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 12:56pm

Thank you Allardjd and Slopey to answer to my doubts very detailed

About currency, my preferences is € , because I live in europe, and for that is natural that I and many others(I believe) prefer to make our accounting in euros.

When I say "4- We can invest in others airlines?", was to know if we can invest in airlines company that are on capital market's like NYSE and others, or in AH virtual world, or in other business area to help grow our money. ;)

Thanks!

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 1:20pm
You can still use Euros as your currency, so don't worry about that. Its just that where some countries have ten thousand euro and 35 cents represented as 10.000,35 you'll need 10,000.35 for AirHauler to work correctly.

As regards 4 - you can buy shares in any company listed on the NYSE, the FTSE or the DAX30. So yes, you can buy shares in BA, Virgin, US etc if you want to.

You can't buy shares in your AH company, or other players AH companies due to an obvious exploit in that you (or others) control those companies and would be able to influence the share price.
AirHauler Developer
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 1:22pm

Yes, you can invest your virtual money in virtual shares of any stock that is listed on the several exchanges that are included. 

John
John Allard
spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

It may be (no promises!) that in localised releases of AirHauler (which there are plans for), that this will be addressed, but if you're getting the English version on release at the end of the month, you'll need US/UK style currency separators.

If we get the english version would it be easy to change later to a localised version instead ? Or change to our currency separators all together?
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 2:39pm
I'm not making any promises about non-english currency support :) I don't know about changing to a localised version in the future - I guess it would be a separate product.

If you email JF sales they'll be able to tell you.
AirHauler Developer
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 12:13am
Another question

How AH it calculates the prices on airplanes, because we can use many aircraft/helicopter that we want for cargo, so, how AH determine the price?

cheers
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 1:03am

AH generates a price for a new aircraft based on certain pieces of information it gleans from the aircraft.cfg file.  Without getting too specific, the price is intended to be a reflection of its ability to carry cargo.  Obviously, the information that can be pulled from that source reliably is limited, but in our experience so far, the prices are at least plausible.

There is also a market for used AC in AH.  Used aircraft appear from time to time in less-than-perfect condition for a reduced price.  Sometimes they are a good deal - sometimes they are not.

John

John Allard
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 3:21pm
Thank you Jonh

As not yet we have AH, we are curious obviously.
My next question or idea is, can we have a some kind of "Training" flight" as a option to fly a determined aircraft, to see if we like or want him to our fleet, without buying , just for test propose, this flight don't influence anything in our company, but we can see if the things going well, like fuel consumption, profit vs expenditure. Maybe limited to 2/3 days automatically for a test flight, as to test before buyingCool

Regards,
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 3:34pm

Herege,

We're happy to see the curiosity and interest in AH.  There's nothing wrong about that.

What you suggest is  not available at this time.

You can, of course, test any aircraft all you want in FS without using it in AH.  That will give you a pretty good idea of fuel consumption, how it handles when loaded, cruise speed and other performance parameters.  The cost of fuel at AH airports is readily available so figuring out operating costs (except insurance, 100 hour inspections, repairs) should be fairly easy to do.

Also, you can import any aircraft into AH at any time, even if you cannot yet afford it.  That will make it appear in the available aircraft list and you'll know the selling and leasing costs for it.  Importing it also makes it a candidate to show up as a used aircraft.  That's done randomly but any AC that is imported into AH might show up for sale used at any time.

I can't say that what you suggest won't be implemented at some point, but for now it's not available.

John

John Allard
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 5:26pm
Herege,

If you want to "trial" an aircraft, you can always lease it in AirHauler. Leasing is much more economical than purchasing the aircraft, and if you don't like it you can put it back!

Cheers,
S.
AirHauler Developer
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 5:49pm
Hi Chaps, not long to go!

If you start on "easy" with the Learjet, then sell it, can a leased aircraft like the C130 or 757 Freighter be afforded?

I can not decide whether to start on Career mode and work my way up or to go for it big style and lease a Herc? If thats affordable?
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 6:02pm

Herege,

Another way to do this would be to create a "Test Company" in AH - you can have any number of companies.  Set it for "Easy Mode" and sell the default Lear.  You'll have a ton of cash and the ability to borrow money.  Get the AC you're interested in, test it to your heart's content, then delete the company.

Your principal company will co-exist and will still be there for you to go back to, armed with the new information.

John

John Allard
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 6:11pm

David,

Yes, in an easy mode start, selling the Lear and borrowing money would probably allow you to lease a large AC like that, though that might be a precarious business situation to be in that early in the game, that deep in debt. 

The Captain Sim C-130 comes up at a lease deposit of $3,985,000 and a monthly leasing fee of $1,771,000.  Then there would be the loan interest payments, monthly base lease cost, insurance if you choose to buy it, AI salaries if you choose to hire them.  It's up to you how far out on that limb you'd like to go.

John

John Allard
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 6:31pm
Thanks John.  Wow its a scenario of bravery or foolishness?

I wonder if it could be done, with the use of an AI pilot to fly the Herc whilst I sleep?  Then try to keep the bird flying 24/7!  With its huge cargo capacity perhaps it is possible, keeping the flights short and profitable?

Perhaps its better to start with a Caravan!!!!;)
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 6:46pm

Well, they say, "No cajones, no blue chips".

Dirty Harry Callahan's question comes to mind.  What you have to ask yourself is, "Do I feel lucky?"

John

John Allard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic