This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-3
    Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 9:32am

Hey all.

I just got myself a nice new DC-3 (ok, so it aint exactly new; but I like da old planes) and went to get a flight for it. Deciding to start small I grabed a 310 lbs cargo that was only 400 miles away. Imagine my suprise when the gas requirment showed red. Imagine my further suprise when I read that a 400 mile flight would take a whopping 53,447 lbs of fuel.

Is this a common thing? Is there a problem with the DC-3 ?

Scooternjng View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooternjng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:38pm
It's a problem with CP, actually, and how it reads aircraft.cfg files.  The best solution there is, since none of the stats for fuel burn on the old Wrights are online, is to load up FS, launch the old Gooney Bird, and tool around for 10 to 60 minutes at cruise.  Write down what your fuel capacity was (Using the Fuel and Payload panel) and subtract what you burned. (Making the appropriate adjustments for less than one hour).  This should give you a decent approximation of your lbs/hr burn.  Even professionally written aircraft (like Captain Sim's C-130) need this done to the CP Aircraft Configuration tool.

Don't forget, you'll burn more during a climb, less during descent, and winds aloft play havoc as well.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke, Irish philosopher & statesman
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:37pm
Scooter is right on with this. 

One point...winds aloft play havoc with distance, but what you're after for the Aircraft Configuration is consumption rate, i.e. pounds per hour.  That is unaffected by wind.
JD-LincsUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD-LincsUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 3:01pm
Hey, Tom - try this website - it's where I get all my aircraft data for CP from:

http://www.airliners.net/aircraft-data/
cpltom View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 4:12pm
thanks guys Smile

Oh and JD, did you download the service pack ?
JD-LincsUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD-LincsUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 7:15pm
Yeah - as I said, I already had it - just had to install. See other posts here for the problems I've had... Unhappy

I can hack it, though Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic