This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good starting aircraft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A good starting aircraft?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 10:35am
Can anybody recomend a good starting aircraft for Air Hauler, but not the caravan as I have flown that so much in CP.Wink
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 11:42am
There was great discussion on the AH Forum regarding this, and I guess it depends at what level of entry you want to start. I'm not a developer or tester, but from what I gleaned on the previous forum, if you want to start at the bottom (career/difficult mode), you get a Cessna 172.

However I believe that you could sell this and immediately buy/lease something like a Beaver, Mooney. C206, etc.

One of my favourites down the track will be the PC12 Cargo, set up beautifully for AH!

Brian loves his Mustang - surprised he hasn't already mentioned it!

Then you get into the heavy iron, but seeing I just bought the full series of FTX I'll be happy to fly around low and slow for a while (perhaps not so slow if I choose the HD Mooney VH-SOM!).

For what it's worth, my order of preference from when I start will be:

C172, Dornier Do27, Mooney, Beaver, then perhaps a GA twin before the PC12 - like you I've done enough flying in the C208 and I much prefer Add-on aircraft for their pure quality.

I'm sure this will now attract heaps of comments!

Good to talk to an Aussie.

Cheers

Malcolm
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:03pm
My favorite AH starter is the Carenado C-210 Centurion.  It handles like a Skyhawk (OK, a heavy one) but with no wing struts, retractible gear, a three-blade prop and all that horsepower, it's not a bad cargo hauler and you don't spend all day getting there if there's a wind blowing in your face.  It has a full-fuel payload over 800 lbs.

Mal, the Flight1 PC-12 is another favorite and does a nice job.

What you can initially afford depends on which of the starting levels you choose.

John Allard
John Allard
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:33pm
Thanks.  I can't wait to use some great 3rd party aircraft.  Does AH select difficult weather when you start getting a lot of experiance like AP?
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm
You select your own weather in AH. You can use an add-on (I use Active Sky with RW weather) or select anything you care to from the Microsoft weather menu.

John Allard
John Allard
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:56pm
Thanks.  Can't wait to get it.  I think I will hold off and get the boxed version.
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 4:08pm
Tom,

A big part of yoour choice of aircraft will be determined by what setting you choose in the beginning (easy, Medium, or hard).

Personally, I always start with Medium which is where you get the Caravan. Of course, the first thing I do is to dump that plane and buy/lease one of my payware planes (or more recently, the default Beaver).

Your choice should also reflect where you'll be based and what type of operations you'll be doing. Are you routes long in distance? If so, you'll want a plane with long legs. Maybe capacity is the determining issue. If so, perhaps a King Air might make for a good choice (mine has seen many AH milesWink).

Lastly, some times, the choice can be rather whimsical. My Mustang isn't really that great a choice for hauling cargo but I'm head over heels in love with it so I've made it work for me. That's the thing that's so great about Air Hauler--you have complete freedom to do things the way you want to do it.
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 5:55pm
After a long while flying Cargo Pilot with the C130,  757 Freighter, DC3 and the Goose, its going to  a complete fresh start with a small aircraft and then build up.

Will probably fly low and slow and short over the VFR JF Terrain in UK to begin with then..............

Does anyone have a hint or two as to how much the Airhauler aircraft can be sold and purchased for?

For example if you started with the Lear what would the resale value be? Could you sell it for a couple of Barons?

The values of the aircraft in CP were always a bit unreal, however the CP system rated number of engines, I think , as a cost factor? 

This is a good question to further fire our imaginations prior to release:)
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:13pm
The Lear comes in at around 4m new - so selling it will net you just under 2m. That'll buy you around 4ish Barons, or let you lease around 33 of them, provided you can keep up the monthly ;)
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:17pm
I think I will use the Carenado and set up a base in Switzerland...
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:20pm
There's a fairly complex algorithm built into AH to derive a value for a new AC.  It necessarily goes to aircraft.cfg to get the variables and had to be designed to only use those things in aircraft.cfg that were consistently and rigorously formatted.  That limited what could be used, but the resulting prices are plausible - as plausible as the existence of a factory-new DC-3.

I believe attempting to parse performance data out of the less structured text descriptions in some of the aircraft.cfg file contents is what caused so many problems with price and performance specifications as determined by Cargo Pilot.  They thoughtfully provided an easy way to tweak them because it was so difficult for them to do.

I think Duncan has cracked that nut and AH does a much better job of coming up with a selling price and leasing price for an aircraft.
John Allard
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:21pm
Thanks Duncan! 

The choices are mouthwateringly tempting! The urge to start small and build up is strong. Remembering going from that little space freighter to the Elite equivalent of the Enterprise?

Its the journey that matters, I think, rather than the arrival!

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:22pm
"I think I will use the Carenado and set up a base in Switzerland..."

Be aware that the Carenado version is the non-turbocharged, un-pressurized version and has a service ceiling of 17,300 ft.  If you've just made a MTOW take-off, about 15,000 is the best you'll do.

John Allard
John Allard
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:30pm
Thanks.  My aircraft I chose will probably change when I get the product.  Like it always does!  Can't be long now to the realise...
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:31pm
If the prices are as plausable as a factory new DC3????  Fascinating!!!I like that old Aircraft! One I may start with:)
  So one may assume logical parameters like payload, range, engines and type are the key variables? Sound excellent!
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:37pm
You'll be looking at 2.9m for a "new" DC3, or you can lease one for 361k up front, and 160k per month :)

(oh and the more you lease it, if you want to buy it outright, past lease payments are deducted from the cost)

Payload/Range/Fuel Capacity/Consumption are the main variables. For "default" aircraft, they're all pre-set so there's no issues when starting out. If you import new ones, you might need to fill in the gaps in the aircraft.cfg data occasionally.
AirHauler Developer
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:45pm
This is food for thought Duncan? Thanks.

Can I assume that "imported" A/C say, an add on, like the JF C130, can have its aircraft.cfg "gaps" filled in by myself, which could "benefit" my company?;)
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:56pm
Yup - You can change all the "editable" parameters which AH is interested in from the Aircraft Management Screen in AH :) No need to edit cfg files!!
AirHauler Developer
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 7:07pm
Duncan you should be Prime Minister!!!!

Hmmm, but the edits make the Aircraft any cheaper to buy or lease? or is that fixed?
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 7:08pm
How long do you think it might take to be flying heavy aircraft out of international airports?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic