This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good starting aircraft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

How long do you think it might take to be flying heavy aircraft out of international airports?

Tom there's a question!

As has been said it must depend upon how you begin and therefore what you fly, how much cargo you haul, where you fly, do you use "company" pilots to bring in revenue?(provided they dont crash YOUR expensive aircraft!? ) 

If the profits and expenses can be imported to Excel and analysed, I can see us becoming somewhat expert in Cargo franchise.....maybee;)
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 7:23pm
Don't forget to check prices on used birds in AH--sometimes you can get some good deals there to supplement your fleet.Wink
Scooternjng View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooternjng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 8:48pm
This is all excellent news.  I can't wait to actually have my C-123 start right from the get go (no tweaking). Now, if only JF would release a much better payware version of the old bird. Thumbs%20Up
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke, Irish philosopher & statesman
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 9:06pm
@David - they're fixed - you can't change the prices by changing the stats.

@Scooter - not long - depending on your starting "difficulty" you can get into a 737 almost instantly. On Medium, you need to do about 10 flights first to build up your reputation to the point where you can lease aircraft. On Hard, or Career, it'll take much much longer and you'll be bush flying to start with.

It's up to you :)
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 9:24pm
Thanks.  I really can't wait to start flying heavy aircraft out of international airports.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 9:47pm

"On Hard, or Career, it'll take much much longer and you'll be bush flying to start with."

I've found that setting the AH airport preference slider about 80% of the way up when starting at Career or difficult I get jobs mostly to and from "civilized" airports with lights, published approaches and paved runways - all the comforts of home.

I'm still in a small AC handling small jobs but with the option settings available in AH you don't need to be relegated to the Parsimony Acres Farm strip just outside East Backwards Junction, Wyoming - unless you want to.

John Allard

John Allard
Revsarge View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revsarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 2:56am
I must interject my $0.02 here for the rotorheads.  You can lease the default Jet Ranger very reasonably, and by setting your maximum range to 200 miles you can get some short hauls that boost the necessary parameters.

Two words of caution:  Patience (don't be too hasty in slamming a lot of keystrokes one right after the other.  Give the program the time it needs to chase down the information)  Secondly, don't be greedy.  If you try to make too much haste the reality parameters will haunt you and slow your progress.

Marty
_popupControl();
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 3:41pm
One thing I'd like to add to this discussion is a consideration of the airfields you'll be flying into.

Keep in mind that Air Hauler will generate jobs to airfields that may be beyond the capabilities of your aircraft to get into (i.e., short, unimproved airstrips). So depending on the area you want to fly in, you may want to think of smaller, or at least, planes that have short field capability.

This is something to remember when selecting your jobs as well. Since AH judges your landings very closely, you can't just slam it down on the runway like you might be used to doing.Confused It's important to make a stabilized approach so you can grease it on every time. This of course, means selecting fields that you can reasonably land at, and before that, it means selecting a plane that is best suited for the area you'll be flying in.Smile
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 9:01pm

The Caravan might be the best option then.  I shall wait and see...

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 9:13pm
If you want to fly big iron, just set the airport preference slider in Options quite a ways to the right.  The jobs generated will largely be to big airports.  If you like bush flying and stuffing an airplane into an unlighted, unpaved cow pasture, slide it to the other end.  It's like Burger King - have it YOUR way.

John
John Allard
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 10:46pm
Thnaks.  I think I will do a quick mode to start with, then once I have finished I will do the more difficult one.
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 12:42pm
First choice must still be the C130 in Rough Strip Configuration!! 

80,000 lbs cargo load possible! (shorter range, just load less fuel)

But it costs an absolute mint I believe, to even lease! I'll try and keep it flying 24/7 with the AI pilots flying when I'm not!    They'd better not damage my bird though!!!:)
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 2:27pm
My opinion go to Caravan too, maybe is the best  to start, and also to keep it in fleet to make smaller works in short runways or legs, then C130, and some russian Antonov's that they have a nice cargo area even if they are turboprops.
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 10:04pm
As you know I will be starting off small and slow (bit like me really!), but do intend to upgrade as time and money allow. Thinking through all the add-on aircraft I have bought over the years, I remembered a quite nice rendition of the DC-2.

Any thoughts as to the suitability of this rather unique and historic aircraft?

Malcolm
Scooternjng View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooternjng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 11:27pm
If it can haul cargo, it can be used.  I'm waiting for AH, but with one of my companies in CP, I use the following birds:

Minuteman Air Freight
  • Land-based Prop/Turboprops
  1. Cessna 208B Grand Caravan (Default)
  2. Beech KingAir 300 (AFG)
  3. Boeing/Bell Textron CV-22 Osprey (AlphaSim)
  4. Fairchild C-123 Provider (freeware)
  5. Lockheed C-130 Hercules (JF/CaptainSim)
  • Amphibians
  1. Cessna 208 Caravan Amphibian (Default)
  2. Grumman HU-16 Albatross (Freeware)
  3. Stratojet Albatross (Freeware)
  • Land-based Jets
  1. Bombardier Lear 60 (Freeware)
  2. Boeing 737-400 (FS9 Default)
  3. Boeing 747-400 (FS9 Default)
  4. Boeing 777 (FS9 Default)
  5. Lockheed 500 "Galaxy" (AlphaSim)
Granted the range and cargo capacity aren't transcontinental, but you shouldn't have any problem with a DC-2 hauling cargo.  Especially after looking at this eclectic mix, which I'll actually get to see flown with the AI pilots. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
--Edmund Burke, Irish philosopher & statesman
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 2:40am

Mal, The DC-2 would work fine.

You can really fly what you want in AH as long as it has at least one cargo loading station.  Some freeware does not.  It's an easy tweak to fix. 

Bigger AC cost more to buy (or lease) and to maintain, but generate more money.  It's a long slog up if you like bush flying in piston singles, but it can be done because your expenses are low too.  Generally speaking, the bigger the AC payload, the more money you'll make per load.  There are other factors too, but that's the main one.

Maybe a more crtical up-front decision than the choice of AC is the choice of a base and selection of jobs that are appropriate to your aircraft. Be very careful when accepting jobs.  You have to land at the delivery point.  Know what kind of airport it is before accepting the job. Today an experienced tester who should have known better accepted a Lear Jet job to a grass strip and nearly had a disaster.

The choice of a base is particularly important as you'll be flying back into it frequently.  It should have a runway appropriate to your aircraft, or bigger.  Unless you fly with the nice weather locked in, consider the navaids available too.  I start at an airport with an ILS, a VOR on the field and a 7,000 foot paved runway.  Is that overkill for a Cessna - well, yeah, but at Oh Dark Thirty, with a 25 knot wind, rain and a 300 foot ceiling, it's kind of a comfort.  Lights are another consideration.  Buying a base that does not have runway lights means you probably can't land there at night, at least not without breaking some FAA rules.

My favored progression of AC is...

Carenado Cessna 210
Flight1 Pilatus PC1-12 or FSD Piaggio P-180
PSS De Haviland Dash 8-300
Fairchild C-123 Provider or Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar (both freeware)
Captain Sim Lockheed C-130E Hercules

John Allard

John Allard
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 3:16am
Thanks John

Brilliant answer as always.

One of the great aspects of this sim, because of its RW element is that you have to consider many options once you are under way. I still intend to start at the career/difficult level, as much for the challenge as anything. I think it's when you are looking for the next step up that all the important issues need to be considered seriously - it could be the making or breaking (literally) of your AH business.

Malcolm
spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 9:09am
Originally posted by dree dree wrote:

It depends on what mode you start, without revealing to much I can say the game is also made with heavy metal flyers in mind Smile

Dree

Do you happen to know if someone tested any of the PMDG products ? Like the 747, MD11...

Already dreaming of a BIG company

dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 11:12am

I vaguely remember a discussion about that, me myself didn't but a few of us flew the CS 757 which also has a rare load manager and there were no significant problems.

AH has the option to load your cargo manually if you want to use the PMDG load managers.

Dree

spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 3:45pm
Tnx Dree...

I think cargo loading is not anissue for pmdg 747 but maybe fuel loading as they clearly mention in their AOM not to use default fuel loading because of their own loading AI incorperated into the load manager...

Anyway if anyone has tested it maybe they can share the result...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic