This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FS2004 Overcast Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FS2004 Overcast Issues
    Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 11:06am
In the days of FS2002, One thing that it did really well was overcast build up, as you would decend from being at 33,000ft towards a blanket of cloud you would vanish into a grey dark world with no visability for quite a few mins which was great and then emerge underneath it all most likely then being drenched in heavy rain. Unfortunately now in FS2004, i find that after taking off towards an overcast it suddenly vanishes once you reach the altitude that it hangs at, very annoying, i know that this nothing to do with the rate the weather changes because i have tested this but is there a way to get a better overcast effect.

I have Flight Ones Enviroment pack as well, i thought maybe with this it would help but i was mistaken
B.Thomas
Ex-Senior PSA
Gatwick South Terminal
Servisair 2003-2006
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 6:16pm

Not sure there is a way that you can change it as standard in FS9 but something like Active sky should improve the situation for you.

The thing that annoys me about FS9 weather is if it is raining at my departure airport and it is overcast I take off and as you say once climbed above the weather the clouds just disappear and it is fine and sunny but for some reason the rain carries on for a few minutes. Think it is because I download the weather nfrom online.

As of yet not to investigate third party programes for weather but think from previous investigation that Active Sky will help solve your problem.
Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 7:46pm
Hi,

Cloud generation in FS9 and FSX is rubbish. It doesn't allow for merging layers (why MS ever designed it like that I'll never know - it's rubbish!), which is why the sky looks positively strange sometimes from certain altitudes.

AS won't help too much as it suffers from the same limitations as FS9 itself.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 7:53pm
Thats interesting to know (and dissappointing)!

Thanks Vulcan!
Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
Joeflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joeflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 7:27pm
I have to disagree about Active Sky 6...it does a far better job of generating wx and layers than FS9 ever could. How much of it you want depends soley on the settings you adjust within AS6 and FSUIPC. Of course there are some limitations to AS6 but not nearly to the degree of FS9's wx generator. Plus, with all of the wx environments to add-on with AS6, I have experienced some very convincing wx situations.
Joeflyer
C208 Cargo Driver
kingfisher-blue View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingfisher-blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:38am
Hi,
     I use FS9 with Active Sky and Flight Enviroment and its brilliant. I can seriously recommend it. Go for it you wont be sorry.
                                                          John

Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:46am
I just have GE Pro and downloaded the weather (via GE Pro and Flight1 website) and it is excellent too.  Going for Active Sky very soon.
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:40am
Not payware nor realy realistic but You can tune the weather to your prerefences by using Custom Weather, takes about 5 minutes to do, but it's fun adding wind shear, 1/16mi vis from 1000-3000 and all that jazz!
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic