This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fumes in the cockpit ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fumes in the cockpit ...
    Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 8:18pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/7353125.stm

Bit disturbing to know this.

I've heard over the radio at Manchester planes coming into land with smells of such then latter. Seems to be more frequent than you would have thought so as well.
Visit http://fsprojects.netau.net for my flight sim and train sim web sites :)
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 9:15pm
Was just on panorama!
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 9:18pm
I'll have to watch it on net when it's available as studying comes fiurst atm :(
grth_bbtt View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grth_bbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 4:22pm
flybe embraer 145 landed at gatwick today (declared emergency) with the  Crew reporting 'air contamination' and were clearly speaking through an
oxygen mask.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 4:23pm
Finally - a big aviation secret is finally being acknowledged...

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 4:37pm
Quote Finally - a big aviation secret is finally being acknowledged...

I don't think there are such things as 'secrets' in modern aviation. Fumes have been discussed for a long time, its just the media has decided to get on board and dramatise the whole situation. Surprise, surprise!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
aniceguy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aniceguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 4:38pm
I'm not surprised. Whos at fault though? Is it the manufacturers? i.e. Airbus / Boeing.

I know the recent boeing model does not intake air from the engines due to the law that they had to follow.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 8:57pm
I recorded this programme but haven't watched it yet.  What fumes are they?

My flying instructor was telling me the other day that about a few months ago he was flying in one of the club's PA28s with two other people and half way through the trip the guy sat in the back said that he was starting to feel drousy and sick.  They landed and he felt a bit better so they decided to take off again, this time with the other guy sat in the back and the guy that felt unwell before sat in the front.  A short while after takeoff, the guy now sat in the back also started to feel sick, so again, they landed and decided to finish the flying for the day.  The aircraft underwent an inspection and it was discovered that a fault was found on the cabin heating system and small amounts of carbon monoxide from the exhaust was being blown into the cabin through the air vents.  Potentially very dangerous!
Kind regards,
Tom
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 9:49pm
I've had smoke/fumes in the cockpit a couple of times. In a light single it can be a non event - landing asap (it often occurs immediately on departure), and generally there's an immediate source of ventilation availble. Installing a £5 CO detector can save you life too - this happened across the RAF's Tutor fleet after a Piper crashed after both occupants were incapacitated after CO poisoning.

Bigger aircraft are more of a pain, Sources can range from the conditioning and pressurisation systems (and often hence the engines), to faults in the avionics bay - which of course is generally underneath the cockpit. Often you are much more limited in what you can do about it too (for example, in the middle of the atlantic).

In any event, any form of fumes are not pleasant, and not conducive to a good situation.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 9:54pm
Quote its just the media has decided to get on board and dramatise the whole situation.

I disagree. Like the risks of high altitude flying are buried and anyone caught trying to measure exposure to UV radiation has great potential to lose their jobs, so this too was buried in a similar fashion.

'nuff said.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:08pm
"Secrets in modern aviation" Pah, if only you knew!!!!!!!!!!! Wink
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:11pm
I think it very much depends on what your definition of secret is. Mine is obviously very different to yours Smile
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:14pm
If i tell you , i will have to kill you!!! Wink

Your a little touchy lately Martyn, you ok? Cool
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 7:03am
Full scale airport shutdown last night for 20mins at stansted for a 146 SAS aircraft that was forced to make a emergency landing. And i have to agree with ross a tiny bit martyn as after 8 years at working at various airports i have seen some shocking things occur!

Flightboy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic