This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PPL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobTheStob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPL
    Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 4:19pm
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, but I was wondering who currently holds a PPl or is completing one and how far they are?

theryanbradley View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theryanbradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 4:39pm
Oooh interesting topic for a 2nd post, me:

Pu/t: 3.8hrs

but only started 16/03/08 at Sherburn Aero Club

Anyone else?
Many Thanks,

Ryan

There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 4:43pm
I'm currently doing my PPL, based out of Conington.

Got about 22 hours under my belt since August 07, including a fly-out to Le Touquet (great fun!). I'm currently polishing off circuit work before going solo.

There are plenty of other PPLs here, step forward...Smile

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
RobTheStob View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobTheStob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 5:27pm
Nice to see replies so quickly.
Well at present I've accumulated around 30 hours.  I've completed everything other than my solo cross-country flights, and my next flight will be a short cross-country to Barnard Castle, Sunderland and then returning to Durham Tees Valley.
I'm hoping to sit my general flight test before my 18th birthday in June.  The problem is the weather! It's been so poor lately.
All my exams are finished. What stage is everyone else at in their exams and how are they going?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 6:04pm
Passed Air Law and soon to do Human Performance. Air Law took a while as its so dry!

How was the Met and Nav exams? They seem quite sizable in theory Confused
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
RobTheStob View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobTheStob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 7:22pm
Yeah, Air Law is quite monotonous.  I received 100% in Met. so I found that ok; Nav. requires extensive studying and preparation before the exam.  I'd advise you get a half-million scale chart if you don't have one already or you'll be lost in the exam.  All of the theory and study books use examples from the half-million.  I just finished mine in time; I completed the final exam on the last day of the 18 month period so I almost ended up resiting all of them.  Lucky I got them done in time.  I found Human Performance and Radiotelephony to be the easiest.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 12:55am
Still haven't got one. I'll aim to have it by 1000hrs - mybe even 750 if I'm in a rush...Big%20smile
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Hot_Charlie Hot_Charlie wrote:

Still haven't got one. I'll aim to have it by 1000hrs - mybe even 750 if I'm in a rush...Big%20smile

Its always amusing to see ex-Harrier and Tornado Pilot's taking PPL lessons. I guess they are two very different styles of flying.

However, as a Pilot of what is effectively an Airliner, I guess you would have quite an easy transition into Commercial aviation?
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

However, as a Pilot of what is effectively an Airliner, I guess you would have quite an easy transition into Commercial aviation?

Sadly, it appears as though the "easy" route to an ATPL (exemptions from theoretical exams etc, saving a few grand) is being lost in euro-bollo-beaurocracy in the next couple of years. Still easier than some, and the hours will count for something.Smile
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:12pm
Iv'e got my PPL, although the female voice within FSX didn't sound as realistic and convincing as i thought she would!!!!!!!!! Wink
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

jj163 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 5:18pm
I've got my PPL, Night rating and RT (this is important too and is worthwhile getting out of the way nice and early in your training, before you go solo is ideal).  Just slowly building up the hours and trying to give myself an individual task to do/something to practice each time I go up rather than aimlessly drilling holes in the sky.

Still enjoying it.  And as for earlier comments: Agreed - Air Law is duller than a dull thing.  I enjoyed Meteorology though, Human Performance and Comms are pretty easy.

Haven't decided on IMC Rating yet - Two schools of thought seem to exist, but if you want to move on and do a full CPL/IR/ATPL it's potentially a waste of money as you get no credit for the hours you've done.....

My problem here in the far flung north is that you have to wait for decent weather with quite a high cloudbase to go anywhere as we have big solid rock type things called "Mountains" all over the place and reading statistics in the ongoing war between flying aluminium objects and solid rock, Solid rock has yet to lose!  However, if I got an IMC, it potentially wouldn't be an issue and hourbuilding would be easier.....Wink

Enjoy your training though, it's immense fun (finding strong upper level winds, turning into the wind and practicing slow flight to see if you can hover or go backwards for example!), got checked out on the PA28 Warrior the other day, and bloody hell what a sedate stall compared to the PA38 Traumahawk.  Big%20smile

PPL, Night,IMC

"I used to be a pilot until I took an arrow to the knee."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic