This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

737 Classic (300,400,500) Max Range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 737 Classic (300,400,500) Max Range?
    Posted: 28 Dec 2008 at 7:03pm
Hi!

Does anyone know what the maximum range of a Boeing 737 Classic model (-300, -400 and -500 variant), by maximum I mean with full fuel tanks and no passenger or cargo load?

I'm asking because I wondered how these aircraft were originally delivered from Boeing in Seattle to UK airlines when they were new - they must have flown them across the atlantic. I wanted to try this on FS.

Thanks.
Kind regards,
Tom
daveygurm10 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveygurm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2008 at 8:23pm
I dont know the exact range to be honest but ferry flights usually go via several airfields before reaching the final destination, especially if its a small jet or turbo prop etc.

I would imagine the 737 would make 1 maybe 2 stops if you did USA to UK.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2008 at 9:09pm
Approx. 2500 nm.

The way they ferry them is to either retro-fit them with additional fuel tanks in the fuselage or make stops via Iceland.

e.g. Seattle -> Washington -> Halifax -> Keflavik -> where-ever.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2008 at 10:20pm

As VulcanB2 said they do ferry them across canada over greenland,Iceland and over scotland because it is the safeist route

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2008 at 10:27pm
Perfect! Seeing as adding additional fuel tanks isn't really an option in Flight Sim, i'll try it in a number of legs as you suggest.  Thanks.
Kind regards,
Tom
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 4:44pm
It's worth remembering that the engines in the 737 Classic use an earlier model of the CMF56 engine. These reportedly had great performance "out of the box" but suffered from acute degradation over time.
Most FS add-ons have flight dynamics and engine effciency date taken from charts provided by the aircraft manufacturer, which are usually based on the long-term performance of the aircraft. Thus, while you may not be able to get a 737 classic over the atlantic with sufficient reserves in FS9/FSX (assuming favourable weather), it could be a completely different story in reality for a delivery flight.
Perhaps what I just said is delving too much into the differences between reality and flight-simulation, so...

Despite what I've just said, the figures given by the boeing website in this document http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/737.pdf show that the 737 Classic can easily cover the 2800NM trip between St John's (Canada) and Glasgow (UK). With the prevailing North-Atlantic winds the range of the aircraft would be much further too, so I'd say you'd be safe to fly it "across the pond".
Luke Roach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic