This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work Experience
    Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 2:08pm
Mine is going down the Toilet!
About 3 weeks remaining till the 'Work Experience' course.
So far, all my requests have been rejected!(All Aviation related)
Can anyone recommend anything to do?
I think I'll give up with the Aviation ideaCry
There are a few options remaining, I think it's too late to apply privately, so looks like it's registering from a website, that has all the remaining Work Experience options available.

Anyone know what I should try and do?
What to search for?
What to recommend?

Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 3:11pm
Try looking for something in the wider travel industry like for a tour operator or travel agent. I did my work experience in a tour operator (well it wasnt officually work experience as I got paid) but I stayed there for about 4 years in the end and have moved around the travel industry alot. Gave me good experince and a foot up in the travel industry and then led onto aviation things. Have a look and contact any tour operators or travel agents that might be in your area.  

Good Luck!Wink
Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 3:23pm
Hi,

Most aviation-related areas won't allow you access on security/age grounds (liability). Unless you try and get a job in management for the week at an airline doing a desk job, they will likely not allow you to work there.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 3:25pm
Ok I'll try the Travel Agent stuff, thanksSmile
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 3:45pm
I did mine last year, one week with London Underground at their Jubilee Line depot at Stratford, East London.  That was arranged as my dad's friend is the fleet manager of the 1996 rolling stock in operation on the Jubilee Line.  It was very interesting actually - it was mainly a desk job and I made a few spreadsheets about rolling stock defects and why trains were taken out of service etc.  I also produced handouts and tables for use during conferences etc.  Throughout the course of the week though, I was invited actually out on to the depot floor to assist in servicing a train where I went in the pits underneith one, checking things like brakes, compressors, motors and bogies - wheel sets not the stuff in your nose! .  I also watched them remove a wheel from a carriage and lathe it on a big machine - which is used for removing flats on the steel wheel caused by skidding.  As well as this I visited the line control centre at Canary Wharf and the depot control centre at Stratford and was told how it all worked.  To finish off, I was allowed in the cab of a tube train with the driver for a portion of the line.  A thoroughly interesting week.

I also did a week with a marina in Eastbourne, learning how the locks are operated and how the marina is managed.  This was arranged as we have a holiday home in the marina.

Which airlines/companies did you contact?
Kind regards,
Tom
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 3:53pm
Sounds like a great time you had, wish I still lived in London!
Well here's a list:
NATS-Air Traffic Centre for basically whole of England
BAA-Southampton Airport
G.E-General Electric (Notably for Engines)
Flybe-UK LCC
Aurghiny-Small Channel Islands Airline
Merritt Avionics-Avionics Company
Premier Travel Inn-(Hotel right near Airport!)
HMS Nelson-Aircraft Engineer
EGHF-Lee On Solent Airfield
EGHP-Popham; Microlight Flying School
Carill Aviation-EGHF Flying School

Maybe a few more, but all rejected!Thumbs%20Down
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic