This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Cliff at Biggin Hill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David1512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Cliff at Biggin Hill
    Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 8:24pm

Doing some circuits today and then after i took off found that Biggin Hill seemed to be surrounded with a cliff Confused Im using the VFR scenery and wondered if anyone could tell me what is happening and how to fix itBig%20smile

nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 9:53pm

Biggin Hill Airport is on top of a valley and there is a dropp down to the village so there is a decline but not sure it should appear like that.

Maybe someone else can help you on that!
Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 8:50am
Hi,

This is a known issue and is caused by the high resolution mesh causing a more obvious change in height from the real height (defined by the mesh) and the height at which Microsoft have placed the airport/runway/flatten. It's made worse as the flattens are always larger than the runway area (which in real life may not actually be "flat" anyway) so it takes this fixed height further out and either cuts in to upwards slopes or stands up high against downward slopes.

We've included an enhanced set of flattens for Leeds Bradford airport in our VFR Real Scenery Leeds download product, which removes this effect from that airport. If it proves popular then we'll likely look at a number of other locations which have similar changes in height and look to providing some sort of extra set of airport flattens for them.
David1512 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David1512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 10:04am
Ah ok thx, so if I reduce the mesh will that help?

Thanks
David
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 10:32am
If you use the default mesh you'll not notice the change in height between the mesh and flatten because the measurements are so far apart that it "rolls". Our mesh is much higher resolution so the measuremnets are much closer together, so it has sharper changes in height than the default and because of that it doesn't roll smoothly between an incorrect height (where the flatten is) and the real height.

So yes if you drop down the mesh resolution setting it'll smooth it out, but you'll also find that everything else gets smoothed out like real cliff edges on the coast, etc...
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 10:13am
That's one way to tackle the Terrorism issue, try climb that fence!.
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 6:31pm
I was just flying at biggin hill today and wonderd what that was- thanks
ananda View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ananda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 10:51pm
I don't have that problem at Biggin:

ADMIN: Image removed for breaking forum rules. If you wish to discuss promoting your VFR addons work and Horizon's package etc, please contact enquires @ justflight.com (without the spaces) and we can come to some agreement Smile

We don't mind regular users posting images of other developers product, in fact we encourage it! However I only have to take a look at your past posts to see 99% of them simply consist of subtle advertising. Whether that be for freeware or payware

Thanks

George

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 10:22am
Originally posted by ananda ananda wrote:

George

I have that problem and I think it's only occurant if you have VFR Real Scenery installed with the default airport.

George, what scenery are you using there for Biggin?  Is it in FSX?
Kind regards,
Tom
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 11:10am
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Originally posted by ananda ananda wrote:

George

I have that problem and I think it's only occurant if you have VFR Real Scenery installed with the default airport.

George, what scenery are you using there for Biggin?  Is it in FSX?

He is using Horizon's Generation X scenery with Garry Summons VFR airfields and VFR addon's freeware Smile
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

He is using Horizon's Generation X scenery with Garry Summons VFR airfields and VFR addon's freeware Smile

Oh ok thanks.  I didn't think Garry Summons' VFR Airfields had been released yet?
Kind regards,
Tom
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 12:02pm
I may be wrong, however it may be beta software or a demo? I'm not too clued up on the product in question.

But in reference to these cliffs, we intend on working our way around major airfields and this may include Biggin Hill Wink
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

I may be wrong, however it may be beta software or a demo? I'm not too clued up on the product in question.

But in reference to these cliffs, we intend on working our way around major airfields and this may include Biggin Hill Wink

Ok cool.  I think i'm going to wait for a JF airfield release as I downloaded the demo of VFR Airfields and I didn't like the colour clash with the multicoloured surrounding fields included with it and the (in my oppinion) more realistic looking VFR Real (but this is just my preference).
Kind regards,
Tom
ananda View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ananda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 4:24pm
You are correct in that I am using Generation-X, however, I created the blended flatten myself.

There are quite a few freeware airfields available on the Horizon forum, all with blended flattens.

George

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic