This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F-Lite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

747-200/300 Packs & DVD Inclusion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 747-200/300 Packs & DVD Inclusion?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 5:40am

Hi

With the upcoming 747 F-Lite pack, does the DVD include everything, or will I sill have to download the cargo and extra liveries?

I was slightly disappointed that JustFlight have decided to do the Captain Sim style “Block” idea, so to be able to get everything on one disk would be easier.

Regards, Scott

GabethePilot View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 8:13pm
There are 3 addon packs at around £5 each - disgraceful I know...as they are only liveries !

But if you get the DVD from Play.com..only £15...it's not too bad.

I agree this "block" system is a rip...and Captain Sim are the champs aren't they !
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 9:52am
Sorry to hear that you feel this package to be a rip off. I believe that is way off the mark and here is why.
The original pricing of the 747 package was going to be up around the £30-£35 mark ($50). However, in the current climate of people being extra careful with any disposable income they may have, it was decided to carry on the idea we had for the Mosquito and split the pack into a great value base pack for a lower price and then offer the rest of the package as extra unlockable content for those who do want to pay the full amount.
So, hopefully you should see that we are not trying to rip of you off but instead are trying to offer the best value for money product we can that will suit everyone's budget
Antarius View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 5:30pm
The reason to buy dvd is not to have online activations. I better pay 50$ for dvd with everything on it.
scon View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Antarius Antarius wrote:

The reason to buy dvd is not to have online activations. I better pay 50$ for dvd with everything on it.

Exactly, I don't mind a developer offering "blocks" because I am sure it works for some. However I want an all up buy now. Especially living in New Zealand and the exchange rate. It is easier and cheaper for me to buy from CLS as the USD is 0.5 on the NZ rather than the 0.3 form the GBP. Plus I get everything under one price.

Don't get me wrong though the only reason I was looking at getting it from JustFlight is because where possible I like to buy all my addons form you.
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 11:06pm
Well I never said the F-Lite package was a rip-off....maybe Captain Sim stuff is...

Having said that, I think £30 for a Lite-Version of anything is a little OTT....(when you consider that PMDG-type stuff gos for around £35....but rip-off is a little strong.
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 11:13pm
Well okay maybe I did suggest it...re-reading my post - a little strong - I apologise.
Antarius View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 4:51am
2 JF staff - Is it possible to make "all in one" download pack?
Derek View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 9:18am
In theory, yes, but it is worth a quick overview of the reasons why we sell stuff this way. It is the oldest cliche in the book to come out with a rubbish deal, a price increase or  the removal of a popular service and say it is because of "public demand". However, in the case of FS add-ons it is public demand that has driven us to offering a £34.99 product in slices of £19.99, £4.99, £4.99 and £4.99. Ultimately, we are likely to earn less for the product and it is more complicated (and therefore costly) for us to work this way. Why do we do it? 

In the good old days, our rule of thumb was roughly £29.99/£34.99 for a 'large' aircraft add-on (e.g. 757 Pro, Lancaster, C-130), £24.99 for something smaller (DC10 Collection, Tiger Moth) and £19.99 for everything else.

However, retail is now saying that they won't stock anything costing over £19.99 and customers are busy telling us in some of the online forums that "£24.99 for P-38 Lightning is too expensive". Not an easy criticism to take after you've spent two years developing something and need to recoup a bit of your investment.

So... the options are:
1) Sell everything for less than £19.99. Fine and dandy, but not economically viable for a high quality product that has cost many thousands to create.
2) Simply reduce the quality. Great idea - make sure you buy a copy of the Big Issue from us if you see us outside the station.
3) Reduce the amount of content. Probably the most viable option, but what do you do about the customers who are quite happy to pay a fair price for a 'complete' product?

The answer we have gone for, as you have proably guessed, is number 3), with the option to buy the rest of the package in sections. We have only used this mechanic on Mosquito and 747-200/300 Series so far, and it seems very popular. Those who want to pay a low price will get a decent, value for money product. Those who want the 'full' package can upgrade at a reasonable price.

It's true we could offer a split/full option (and we've done this with Isle of Wight & Class 66 for Rail Simulator) but it starts to get very complicated if anything needs a patch and there are a multitude of different versions flying around.

As ever, we are always open to suggestions, but whilst we can show retailers the evidence that flight sim enthusaists are happy to pay £24.99 or £34.99 (or more) for a decent product, PC software is fighting for an ever-shrinking amount of space on the shelves and flight sim add-ons are right at the back of the queue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic