This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Idiots and Lemmings!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 6:18pm

Good grief that’s unbelievably cheap. There’s about 3.7 litres to the gallon isn't there. And Mut pays £1.14 per litre.

You lucky boy John and your standard of living is better than ours also.

What are your house prices like John? My house is a small, three bed roomed link detached, just connected by the garage. The garden is small, probably about 23 yards by 17. For that my house is worth £260,000 it is a very good area though.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 6:20pm
Concy... Your mum should be very careful. One day she may come up against someone nasty.

It's never a good idea to overreact in a car. Road rage has resulted in the deaths of many.
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 6:32pm
Trust me, nobody here has the intelligence nor the courage to harm anybody. Since it was right in the school car-park she felt nothing was going to happen...
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 6:38pm
4.545 liters/gal.

Quote It's up to $3.48/USG now

~£1.74/gal or ~£0.38p/liter.

Well - prices here are a crazy £1.17/liter or £5.31/gal (~$10.62/gal)!!!!!!!

You think you've got it bad - try living here! Ouch  I'd do anything to get your gas prices (even allowing for the fact your cars generally need more fuel).

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

I'd do anything to get your gas prices (even allowing for the fact your cars generally need more fuel).

Why don't you just move there? I certainly would, this country makes me sick!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 7:43pm

Originally posted by ConcordeGuy ConcordeGuy wrote:

Trust me; nobody here has the intelligence nor the courage to harm anybody. Since it was right in the school car-park she felt nothing was going to happen...

Concky... you trust me, there are plenty of individuals around that don’t give a damn were they are, they will react violently on instinct, on impulse.

I too used to be like you mum, and overreact.

Trust my half a century of experience with these things, and a few years on martial arts and a few decades of bodybuilding. It doesn't matter how tough you think you are, you are in big trouble when you come up against certain individuals.

Not long ago, a guy got into a road rage incident with a guy in a 4X4. The 4x4 driver jumped out and stabbed him to death in the blink of an eye. It turned out the perpetrator was a top organized crime boss. You never know who you will be up against, could be a psycho, could be a criminal.

It's also not cool.

You would do well to encourage your mother to calm down. The stress alone is bad for her health.

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 12:01am
"4.545 liters/gal."

That's not correct for US gallons, though may be for Imperial gallons - not sure about that.  I think Martin's figure is the correct one, about 3.7 or so liters/USG.

Our pricing is based on US gallons, of course.

"You think you've got it bad"

You misunderstand - I don't think I have it bad, except in comparison to what I paid last year, or last month.  I think YOU'VE got it bad with a government that imposes a confiscatory tax on something as essential as motor fuel. 

They'll soon have their other hand in your other pocket with more forms of "carbon taxes" in the name of saving the planet from from the predations of the human race.  The only problem is, that fairy tale does not end with, "...and they lived happily ever after."

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 12:12am
"What are your house prices like John?"

The housing market is in the tank here because of the credit crisis - payback for many years of lenders competing to lend money to people in amounts they could not afford to borrow, but couldn't resist.

"What's that you say?  You don't have a down payment?  Don't worry, we'll lend you that too!"

Oddly, we were looking at houses today.  One remarkably good one was a newly constructed one of 3,100 square feet, cement block with stucco, 4 bedroms, 3-1/2 baths, 2 car attached garage, central air conditioning, a screened in patio and about a 3/4 acre lot.  It's going for about $275,000, but that is down about $50,000 from a year ago, when the housing market was stronger.

You can, of course, pay far more for a house that size, depending upon how it's "fitted out", i.e. the quality of the appliances, counter tops, cabinets, flooring, etc, etc.

It's a buyer's market, but of course unless you're just entering the market to buy your first house, you have another one to dispose of in the same market you're buying into.  It's a two-edged sword.  The only real advantage of the lower prices is the realtor commission and the taxes are lower if the selling price is lower.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 12:39am
Quote You misunderstand

I was talking figuratively.

Quote "carbon taxes"

* refrains from commenting *

Quote I think Martin's figure is the correct one, about 3.7 or so liters/USG.

My bad. Embarrassed

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 7:28pm

Quote They'll soon have their other hand in your other pocket with more forms of "carbon taxes" in the name of saving the planet from from the predations of the human race. 

And who pays to clean up the planet when they tax fuel in a so called attempt to combat global warming?

The poor! The rich don't give a damn; they can afford 50 quid to fill the tank.

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 7:49pm

Martin,

The rich may be able to afford the 50 quid, but the tax rate on the fuel they use is the same as it is for you.  If they use more fuel than you, they pay more tax than you.  I accept that it doesn't hurt them as much, but I can't say it's patently unfair.

I think a more important issue, is whether the tax being levied under the guise of combating global warming is being spent effectively for that, or at all.   To the government, it's "found money".  

I suspect much of the proceeds of the green taxes funds grants for studies that further alarm the populace, so they will continue to pay for anything "green" without protest.

There's where the lemmings are...

John

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 8:58pm

The rich may be able to afford the 50 quid, but the tax rate on the fuel they use is the same as it is for you.  If they use more fuel than you, they pay more tax than you.  I accept that it doesn't hurt them as much, but I can't say it's patently unfair.

John... when I say 'pay the price' I mean in terms of the effect on a poor persons standard of living, not literally the price paid. The standard of living of the poor suffers in this case and not the rich.  I can barely afford to fill my car with petrol; any further rises effect me directly. Each rise, I have no choice but to drive less, while the individuals that drive past my house in their top of the range Mercedes are totally unaffected by the rise. For the poor to suffer in this way 'to clean up the planet' is unacceptable. If the authorities were to take this seriously they would limit engine sizes, after all, very few of us need more than a 1.3 litre engine.

the same approach is used with so called toll roads to reduce congestion, again the rich don't bat an eyelid if they have to pay to use the road were as the poor can't use the road and are the ones that reduce the strain on the road system by there absence.

Same applies to the idea of charging people to visit a city centre in their cars; no problem again for the rich, but the poor can't afford the charge so can't visit the city in their cars.

The poor therefore ease the congestion in the city centre for the benefit of the rich.

It increases the gap between the rich and poor, never a good idea in a society. The ideal is to narrow the gap between the rich and poor, not to the extent we would see in the communist ideal but to a level that's favorable in a healthy democracy.

As you have said yourself many times, politicians love to increase taxes, on the pretext of saving the planet, their true motivation lies elsewhere though. There are other more effective measures available, but all that concerns them is short term party politics, so any unpalatable measure is not considered.

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

You would do well to encourage your mother to calm down. The stress alone is bad for her health.

What?? She isn't stressy, just people like the bonk in the 4x4 makes her mad, that's all. Seriously she isn't mental.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 7:30pm

Any aggressive act, even in response to a 'bonk' in a car is stressful. It releases hormones like cortisol into the blood stream that are bad for the heart and other organs. Technically the personality type is known as a 'type 2 personality'.

Aggression in cars is bad news, both for the perpetrator and the victim. I know, it an issue for me as well as your mum.

Heart rate goes up, blood pressure rises, cortisol, cholesterol, [to aid clotting in case of injury] and tons of adrenaline are pumped into the blood stream, it's the fight or flight reflex, it's the way the body functions. It’s a function of our autonomic nervous systems. It evolved to save our lives at times of crisis, nature didn't envisage, the controls placed upon us by society though.

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 7:38pm
I know that, unfortunatly I don't have physical control of her. Telling her to calm down isn't going to make a difference.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 7:48pm

I know, as I say it's a problem for me as well. It's the way our brains are wired. Some people are naturally more aggressive than others. I've lost count of the number of times I've freaked out in the car.

My daughter has inherited the same characteristic as me where as my son hasn’t.

A roman philosopher once said that the way to cope with such things is to change your expectations. For example, it's extremely likely every time we drive that someone will do something stupid in a car. If you expect it to happen and see it as normal it’s far easier to stay in control than if you regard it as an extraordinary event.

It’s not easy though, difficult to change one's behavior.

Perhaps you should suggest to her before you drive, that you don't like it when she does it and fear for her health if she encounters someone violent. My daughter does the same thing for me as does my wife. i don't overreact when they are with me as a result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic