This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic X Airport Facilities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Padgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic X Airport Facilities
    Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 10:38am

What is in this scenery?

When it is enalbed I loose the glideslope for runway 1L at KIAD, nav freq 111.3 .

Jim Padgett View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Padgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 1:47pm
SP1 did not fix this..

I have removed AFTX_KIAD.bgl  in order to get the glide slope back for KIAD.
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 4:14pm
I had found the same problem and had similarly renamed the TrafficX AFX_KIAD.bgl out of the way.

I was wondering, what would be the impact be on TrafficX at KIAD of making this change? I was concerned, it might either drastically reduce the traffic volume, or it might become hopelessly congested.

So, I conducted a little experiment:
I set airline & GA traffic sliders to 100%.
I set a fixed wind direction (to make sure I got repeatable runway allocations).
I set the time to noon local & started a flight at a gate at KIAD.
I observed the initial gate occupancy, and then I left it running for about 30 mins get a subjective idea of arrival/departure volumes, congestion etc [I got the impression with my old FS9+Traffic setup that large airport traffic tended to reach a reasonably stable state after about 30 mins].
I repeated this once with the TrafficX bgl in place, and once with it renamed out of the way, restarting FSX in between so it recompiled.

I found with the TrafficX bgl, gates were less than a third occupied at startup, compared with 80%+ without. In one case it was 1L that got congested, in the other it was 1R, but apart from that my impression was that traffic levels were generally similar.

I don't see any obvious difference in gate layouts between the two versions, so I'm wondering just what is the TrafficX version of KIAD meant to improve on?

Paul
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 1:51am
The AFCAD changes Traffic X provides for various airports include parking spot location changes to group airlines together and at the correct terminals, parking size radius changes, increased (or decreased) number of parking spots (both for Airliner and GA), and, military and cargo spots where applicable.

In many cases  if you remove the Traffic X AFCAD for an airport and then look at the number and placement of parking spots in FSX for that airport, you see a change. Put the Traffic X AFCAD in again and check the number and placement of parking spots in FSX, and you see it change back.  Although it is noted that you have said you don't see any obvious difference in gate layouts between the Traffic X versions of KIAD versus the FSX version of KIAD.

With that in mind, note that in many cases, the changes are subtle ... the NUMBER of parking spots may not necessarily change (and hence the traffic levels will remain generally similar whether using or not using the AFCAD) ... but the parking size radius may have changed for many parking spots or the airline allocations may have been adjusted and grouped better.

But I am talking about AFCADs.  The original post question is not about AFCADs, but rather what exactly is included in the "Traffic X Airport Facilities" in the FSX Scenery Library?  What do we get with "Traffic X Airport Facilities"?  More airport vehicles, better looking runways textures, improved taxiway signs, different/fixed navaid frequencies, what?  It is not mentioned in any Traffic X documentation anywhere.  I've not personally noticed any change if I enable OR DISABLE the "Traffic X Airport Facilities".  So I too would like to know.  Just what is in the "Traffic X Airport Facilities"?
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 12:34pm
I think I've managed to fix the problem with ILS in the Traffic X bgl for KIAD.

I got myself a copy of AFX, and was looking through the manual when I spotted this: "Version 1.02 ... Bugfix: ILS created by AFX didn't show up on the GPS display in FS. To correct the problem in a BGL file made with an earlier version, open it with AFX and save it again".

This sounds like the problem I was seeing: I could see ILS for all relevant runways in the map, but not in GPS.

So I loaded the bgl in AFX, I increased the airport elevation by a couple of feet, this then says "do you want it to change elevation on all runways, glideslopes etc. too" to which I said Yes, then I saved. Then I repeated setting elevation back to its original value and saved again. (Maybe you don't need to do anything so complex, maybe just changing any trivial property and saving will cause it to regen the whole bgl, ILS included).

Then I restarted FSX, and is if by magic, it was fixed. I could see all ILS selections in GPS. I flew a test flight, flying an ILS approach on each of the 5 ILS runways, and found all seemed to be working correctly engaging both localizer and glideslope.

I wonder if that is the problem with all these Traffic X airports with missing ILS: could they have been authored in an older version of AFX? I have just done the same thing with KORD: I now see the missing ILSs in GPS, I have yet to do a test flight there.

Paul
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Peedge Peedge wrote:

I wonder if that is the problem with all these Traffic X airports with missing ILS: could they have been authored in an older version of AFX? I have just done the same thing with KORD: I now see the missing ILSs in GPS, I have yet to do a test flight there.

Hmmm ... interesting.  You might well have stumbled on to something there.  Thanks for sharing.
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:16pm
As an update: this worked for KORD & KSFO too, the one exception being I still have a problem with the 9/27 runways at ORD, where they share the same frequencies at each end of the runway. Approaching 9R I instead pick up the signal for 27L; similarly I get 9L when I want 27R. This problem though occurs in the stock KORD airport too, it's not a Traffic X issue.

Sometime hopefully I'll get round to investigating some more and see if I can fix this in AFX. If anyone has previous experience of this kind of thing, I'd appreciate any tips you can give.

thanks
Peedge

Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 10:03pm
Fixed it! Smile

Actually it is a Traffic X issue. I found these ILS were clashing with the same IDs at nearby Midway. Looking in Lists->Navaids... in AFX I found the Traffic X versions of KORD & KMDW somehow have one another's ILS entries as well as their own, plus one or two others for runways that aren't at either. Having deleted the spurious ones from both, normal ILS service is resumed.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 11:11pm
Well done.  Sadly, I am sure that Traffic X is guilty of other frequency clashes at other locations around the planet as well.  For example, in Australian skies, I've had an ATIS radio frequency clash with a frequency allocated for ATC Centre.  It's been fixed using an AFCAD program, but it highlights the real possibilty of other similar clashes ... and not just limited to ILS frequencies.  Still, given the sheer number of airports around the globe, the odd issue at one or two places here and there is, I suppose, understandable.  It might not make sense to me given the database uses real-world data (and I doubt there'd be frequency clashes in the real-world), but I am sure the Microsoft ACES team probably also contributed their own share of these too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic