This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Drastic' reforms on energy urged

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Drastic' reforms on energy urged
    Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 3:22pm
Quote The committee called for a greatly expanded system of grants to encourage people to consider micro-energy generation at home.

I'm all in favour of that, looks like magic and I may get our turbines in the garden after all.

Quote Urgent and drastic" policy and system changes are needed if the UK is to meet EU targets on renewable energy, a House of Lords committee has said.

Producing 15% of energy from renewable sources by 2020 is "an enormous challenge", the EU committee stressed.

It said planning law must be reformed to allow ministers to overrule local opposition to projects like wind farms.

It also called for more consideration of other technologies, including hydro-electric power.

Well said me old fruit.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 4:58pm
Quote Producing 15% of energy from renewable sources by 2020 is "an enormous challenge", the EU committee stressed.

It is. To the point it technically isn't possible.

By getting us to power our homes directly takes the renewable energy off the grid, so they don't have the technical problems large-scale wild (not a typo) power generation creates. Ingenious idea, and no surprise they've decided to use this to get around a technical limitation.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 6:19pm
It is. To the point it technically isn't possible.

Rubbish! Of course it is with a coordinated effort.

And you would know because...

So if we do it ourselves, and get a handout from the government to assist us, where does your 'they're making the whole thing up to rip us off' theory come into play?
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 8:01pm
Quote And you would know because...

...I know electrical/electronic engineers who have studied the issues surround power generation/transmission - i.e. - the national grid. It's not as simple as switching generators on/off the grid, which is precisely what renewable energy does. The wind stops blowing, the turbines stop turning, and they trip offline - suddenly.

Quote So if we do it ourselves, and get a handout from the government to assist us, where does your 'they're making the whole thing up to rip us off' theory come into play?

It doesn't. I think it is a good idea (actually, I think every village needs a wind turbine located outside of it to generate power for that village). You only need one - not dozens, and they don't look so bad, as they're more distributed.

Here's one for the environmentalists: what effect does artificially slowing down the wind over large areas have on the atmosphere/weather systems/climate? Wink

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 9:31am

...I know electrical/electronic engineers who have studied the issues surround power generation/transmission - i.e. - the national grid. It's not as simple as switching generators on/off the grid, which is precisely what renewable energy does. The wind stops blowing, the turbines stop turning, and they trip offline - suddenly.

You missed the conversation I had the other day regarding wind turbine energy storage methods then? 15% from renewables by 2015 isn't reliant on just turbines anyway Pointy?
This is becoming legendary, once again you assume the exponents of wind power and the authorities that employ this method of energy generation, and the experts that say it'spossible... are all totally thick and you know better.

I wonder who the ‘expert electrical engineers’ you know are, and happen to have discussed this with... hmm!  Sleepy

It doesn't. I think it is a good idea (actually, I think every village needs a wind turbine located outside of it to generate power for that village). You only need one - not dozens, and they don't look so bad, as they're more distributed.

No, my point is why they would give us grants to do this if their objective is to steal our money. This is diametrically opposed to your 'the government is ripping us off' theory.

Here's one for the environmentalists: what effect does artificially slowing down the wind over large areas have on the atmosphere/weather systems/climate?

I think you mean in terms of a wind turbines slowing the wind as they extract the energy. I'm not an expert but I can tell you, I would imagine most people could. ZERO! The total area covered by turbines, even in the ideal energy generation scenario is microscopic compared to the surface area of the earth.

I suppose this is another attempt by you to srubbishe the barrel in search of any obscure and invalid reason not to save the planet. Most anti GW individuals are now regarded as internet con men oil company employees, or weirdo’s or just a bit thick, god knows what they'll think of you in a couple of years when even more research comes through. Big%20smileWink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic