This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Unbreakable' encryption unveiled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Unbreakable' encryption unveiled
    Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 4:40pm
It's quantum encryption Pointy! Shocked

Perfect secrecy has come a step closer with the launch of the world's first computer network protected by unbreakable quantum encryption at a scientific conference in Vienna.

The network connects six locations across Vienna and in the nearby town of St Poelten, using 200 km of standard commercial fibre optic cables.

Quantum cryptography is completely different from the kinds of security schemes used on computer networks today.

These are typically based on complex mathematical procedures which are extremely hard for outsiders to crack but not impossible given sufficient computing resources or time.

But quantum systems use the laws of quantum theory, which have been shown to be inherently unbreakable.

Albert Einstein, who discovered the quantum properties of photons of light - indeed, discovered the very concept of the photon - always resisted quantum theory's spooky behaviour, "God does not play dice", being among his oft-quoted objections.

But experiments eventually proved that he apparently does, and also laid the technical foundations for today's quantum information revolution - cryptography, teleportation, and computation.

ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 6:54pm
Is it actually unbreakable...........??? or can they just not break it!!!!!!!! Wink
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 7:20pm
You've lost me there Ross. Confused
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 7:25pm
he asked if whether they know it is unbreakable, or are they yet  to break it themselves?
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 8:11pm
Hi,

Actually it IS breakable, only you know that it has been intercepted.

The other thing is that it means that other methods of snooping will be employed as the data is being made harder and harder to get at.

Given unlimited resources (which you must assume your attacker to have), then this is actually perfectly breakable, and you wouldn't know.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 8:29pm

It’s based on the Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, so it's impossible to eavesdrop without revealing yourself. As soon as an intruder tries to listen in on the quantum exchange photons become scrambled signaling the attack, the system then shuts down automatically.

As long as the system shuts down in response to the signaled intrusion it's secure. I would imagine that only tampering with the very heart of the system would render it vulnerable. But then nothing can ever protect a system from those with access and technical knowledge reconfiguring the system, but only the designers would be able to do that I would have thought.

This is only one example of the way quantum encryption can be applied.

In answer to Ross's question, it is unbreakable in the ordinary sense of the term, in that it is literally impossible to eavesdrop without detection. So an external intruder wouldn't be able to listen in.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 8:47pm
Quote As soon as an intruder tries to listen in on the quantum exchange photons become scrambled signaling the attack

This assumes the eavesdropper is passive. If the eavesdropper is active, then they can perfectly recreate the encrypted messages, and the intended recipient would have no idea it was intercepted.

Quote it is unbreakable in the ordinary sense of the term, in that it is literally impossible to eavesdrop without detection.

This highlights another problem I have with the article - they're mixing terms. Being unbreakable vs. being unable to eavesdrop without being detected are two quite different problems.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 9:30am

This assumes the eavesdropper is passive. If the eavesdropper is active, then they can perfectly recreate the encrypted messages, and the intended recipient would have no idea it was intercepted.

can you elaborate on that Pointy?

If you were intending to counter it, how would you do it?
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 5:46pm
ConfusedConfusedConfused
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 7:53pm
@Ross: .  It's not that difficult really. Wink The real genius is in the maths, and there are only around 25 people in world good enough to do that bit.

Quote can you elaborate on that Pointy?

If you were intending to counter it, how would you do it?

This is a public forum. As such, I can't write that here.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 8:39pm
Damn, i am obviously the 26th person!! WinkWink
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 9:20am
This is a public forum. As such, I can't write that here.

. Pointy can now break quantum encryption.

Public forum my bottom.

How would an 'active' user do this?

I pretty sure you aren't a genius, and that the revelation you bestow upon us wouldn't be so shocking that the authorities descended on you in a flash. If you have knowledge of such things so do thousands of others.

I'm also sure that this wouldn't be hailed as a breakthrough if someone like our old pal Pointy has the knowledge to crack it.

Elaborate on the passive and active terms. What do they mean in terms of encryption?

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 11:33am
I know the secret to life, the universe and everything (not 42 actually)....

...but this is a public forum so I can't write it here. Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 2:28pm
Big%20smile
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 7:31pm
No actually - there are laws prohibiting it. Wink

If you knew anything about how the UK views encryption technology, you'd know this.

If we were in a room together I could tell you.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 9:45am
. So define passive and active in this respect, so that we may better grasp your advanced concepts.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 1:48pm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 2:36pm
It was the light detector attack I was refering to in the other post.

Are you sure it's safe to mention this new attack on the forum Magic? Big%20smile

Just kidding Pointy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic