This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > VFR Real Scenery NexGen 3D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airport Buildings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airport Buildings
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:06pm
Hi, I am realy enjoying flying over the VFR 3D scenery. I had installed Playsims photoscenery years ago and enjoyed it, but the full autogen of Orbx caught my heart in the end. This is the best of both worlds and looks fantastic. Thank you! 

A question, though. Like many UK flyers I have all UK2000's airports installed, but find that VFR 3D places autogen on top of the airfields, often ontop of or half-in half-out of UK2000 buildings. Is there a way to exclude buildings on airports, or could that be considered as a future update? I have placed my UK2000 scenery above the VFR 3D scenery in the FSX scenery list. 

Again, thanks!
Derek View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:03am
If the UK2000 airport is using its own photo ground textures then these should take priority and override any autogen linked to the underlying VFR.
Several of our testers have UK2000 airports installed and have reported no particular problems except that the UK2000 photo textures, not having autogen included, actually give areas around the airports where houses or trees from the VFR are not appearing. This is because the UK2000 photo textures are taking priority and because the airports don’t include autogen files the textures are just appearing as they would normally – bare of objects.
Because of this we have included in the installed product an “Airports” folder which contains a folder for each default airport in the area covered by the product. Each folder contains the VFR autogen files for the individual airport and immediate surrounding area. Copying the appropriate set(s) to the Texture folder of your UK2000 Airport(s) will allow the objects to appear on the UK2000 photo textures

It is difficult to decide what to do about airports when creating autogen. We could just exclude the airports when generating the data but one of the nice things about leaving them in is that you get an instant “upgrade” to all those default airports that are just a runway with few (or no) buildings. As well as the ground texture that brings the ground to life you will find buildings appearing where they are in real life. In many cases with smaller airports it is like getting a whole new airport

To be honest, a properly designed add-on airport should be coded so that it properly controls the objects in its area when it is the active layer. VFR autogen will only appear if the VFR textures are 'visible'. Normally an add-on airport will have its own ground textures and these will prevent the VFR textures from showing through and hence prevent the VFR autogen from appearing. As I say, testers with UK2000 airports have reported no glaring problems once the UK2000 stuff is moved above VFR in the scenery library. You should double-check that ALL your UK2000 scenery entries are above VFR. Stick them all right at the top of the list to make sure. If VFR autogen is currently showing on the airport scenery then something is not right in your area layering. As far as I am aware all UK2000 airports from recent years include photo ground textures so should completely hide the VFR textures (and its autogen) as long as they are set to a higher priority (lower number).

UK2000 have been making airports for many years. While the more recent FSX-specific designs should be fully compatible the older ones originally designed for FS2004 may have problems with many things these days.

Mithras View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:37am
Thank you Derek, you are a genius. I have at certain UK2000 airports, disabled the base photoscenery layer, where the Orbx native layer appears more realistic. Bournemouth, where I noticed Just Flight autogen, was one of those, I'm certain. I will reinstall any base layers I switched off. Regarding the additional files you mentioned, can I just drop them all into the correct folders?

Thanks again, you've solved my problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic