This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Avro Vulcan B Mk. 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan Auto Pilot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vulcan Auto Pilot
    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:41am
For a new release, this aircraft has a remarkable lack of bugs.
However, I cannot get the AP ALT Hold to work. Is it a bug, or is it me missing something?
Is there a correlation between the AP and the MSF selector?
Do the PFCs and auto-trims or artificial feel switches have anything to do with ALT Hold?
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
Hi,
I an confirm that the AP ALT hold does have a bug and it will be fixed in the update that will be released today/tomorrow.
Thanks
buspelle View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buspelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 4:41pm
Lovley Rich!
Thanks!

petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
Thanks
Chuck_Owl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck_Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

Hi,
I an confirm that the AP ALT hold does have a bug and it will be fixed in the update that will be released today/tomorrow.
Thanks

Did you also notice that you can't click on the DIVE/CLIMB knob control for the AP?
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:12am
That update is now live, you just need to re-download the full product from your accounts.

Changes made:

- New custom sounds added (bomb doors, air brakes and entrance door)

- Non-functional click spots on some controls (FSX only) - fixed

- Autopilot ALT/IAS clickspot - fixed

- XH558 ATC_ID incorrect - fixed

- Bomb doors can now be operated using the 'Water rudder (up/down)' control assignment

- Bomb door animation speed increased to better match real aircraft

- Cabin temperature control (right console) can now be used for manual selection of temperature. Mouse wheel up/down is used to toggle the switch between AUTO and MANUAL, and left/right click is used to move the switch between the COLD and HOT position.

- GPS mode can now be selected by rotating the navigation selector (centre instrument panel) to the REMOTE position. Any other position selects NAV mode.

- Cockpit lighting can now be selected on at any time of day using either of the white flood light switches

Hope that helps guys.  More updates soon I believe

WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm
How does that impact the K2 Expansion? Does that need to be reinstalled?

--WH
Oskar3058 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oskar3058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:27pm
Great model well done indeed. However, have used the update and nothing has changed. Changing nav mode to remote doesn’t work as it still just defaults to hdg mode. Still no altitude hold or ability to to use the climb or descend function. I don’t think I will be alone I think. Great product despite the bugs in it
Chuck_Owl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck_Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:37am
At the moment, the Alt Hold mode creates excessive pitch oscillations which always end up in an "Aircraft Overstressed". The AP is currently completely unusable.

Could a developer give an example of the autopilot operation to see if there's something wrong I'm doing on my side (a simple heading select and altitude hold) and if the pitch oscillations are a mistake on my part or a real bug?

Another point: the READY and ENGAGED indications on the Autopilot Elevator Servo Load gauge don't seem to work correctly. When the Autopilot panel shows the READY MI, I get the "ENGAGED" indication on the Elevator Servo Load gauge. When I disengage the AP, the ENGAGED switch still works.
Oskar3058 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oskar3058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:44pm
Just redone a complete clean install into p3dv4 with the latest version. Still no joy on alt hold at all or the ability to hold gps course using the way that you said. Maybe it’s just p3dv4 if so then it’s not compatible. Sitting in the hanger now until you make it work to a satisfactory level
CavalierDuck View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavalierDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:35pm
I can get the ALT HOLD to work in a fashion in P3D v4.3.  However, you have to bring the aircraft level and trimmed, and engage ALT HOLD when VS is no more than probably +/- 50 FPM.  Otherwise, the AP has to hunt for the altitude, which results in an oscillation of increasing amplitude until disaster strikes.  I don't know how well ALT HOLD functioned in the actual aircraft, but this is more than a bit tricky to operate in the simulator.  Once the altitude has been acquired though, it has held it well over several hundreds of miles flown including through some tight turns.

I note that it doesn't look as though the autopilot pitch control switch (dive/climb) is implemented; at least, there aren't any working clickspots on it.  My switch is permanently pegged at Climb, but it appears to be inop.

Like one or two others I'm also seeing odd behaviour from the Autopilot trim indicator / elevator servo load gauge; not quite sure what to make of it yet.  The gauge seems to be indicating trim set well back, and I haven't seen it change under any circumstances.  I can trim the aircraft fine manually though.  All these issues involve AP-controlled elevator trim so there might be a theme here.  

These issues aside though, it's a wonderful model and I'm thoroughly enjoying sitting in that cockpit finding out all of the quirks of the Vulcan.  The flight model takes a little getting used to, but I was very impressed when I was able to perform a landing with aerodynamic braking almost the whole length of the runway at Waddington!  I can imagine that behaviour took some effort to achieve.  So thank you and congratulations to all the project members at Just Flight.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:30am
- We are looking into the altitude hold issue
- The dive/climb and bank selectors are currently inop but will be added
- We are fixing the autopilot indicator on the centre instrument panel

Glad to hear you are enjoying the aircraft!

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Oskar3058 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oskar3058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 11:21am
Have just installed new update 1.02. Have tried but still no alt hold. Only holds where you trim it. Constant adjustments needed so effectively nothing working still. Absolutely no way that it will also hold a gps course. So can you please tell what I am doing wrong as it's not working for me as per instructions. Great product for buzzing control towers not for long distance. Please look at this
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavalierDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
Unfortunately I have to agree.  On a test flight last night of update 1.02, alt hold still isn't usable under most circumstances.  When I have more time this evening I'll open a support ticket to go through it in more detail.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:57am
The autopilot element of the FDE is still being worked on and wasn't included in the recent update. The update change log provided on the support page shows the included fixes. Anything not listed there can be considered as on-going.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Oskar3058 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oskar3058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 4:04pm
Thanx Martin for the info. Long haul is also my thing. The vulcan is stunning and I can appreciate the time spent producing it. I will carry on buzzing towers for the moment.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CavalierDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:32pm
Thanks for letting us know Martyn, I'll stop wrestling with the AP!
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:55pm
I think the AP alt hold problem stems from the unusual configuration of this aircraft. I have built the fde as a tailless delta - may seem obvious but the sim really does not seem to like it in many ways and I have had to work around a few areas where the obvious fix would throw something else totally out of whack.

A perfect example, the pitch damping: I've had to build the real aircraft's pitch dampers into the fde. However, their response is dependant upon altitude and mach number - the latter can be allowed for, the former cannot. Simple method - increase the damping. That big wing, the lift it creates and the ground effect left it sitting nose-high and even full forward stick at 10kts wasn't enough to get it to drop. So I have increased the damping considerably for higher mach numbers, whilst leaving it at sensible levels for lower mach number (those likely to be encountered at lower altitudes). It's a balancing act, in so many ways.

I think the AP will need to be adjusted quite heftily, as the default pitch mode relies on trim and the aircraft's trim amount has been adjusted down a fair bit to allow for the realistic figures used in the basic setup. I'll get to it once I am totally happy with the engine files I'm currently working through, hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Cheers,
Paul.
trindade View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trindade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

It's a balancing act, in so many ways.

I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be an easy task, so many variables to work and harmonize to replicate the real thing. Thanks for the explanation, Paul. Keep the good work.

Cheers
Debowing View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 7:50am
I am enjoying the Vulcan more and more. Just need to add that yes the autopilot needs to be given a bit more 'authority' to actually hold ALT and dampen the oscillations. I think things get a bit funky as the aircraft transitions from sub sonic to trans sonic but yeah the autopilot has no authority....Even if I try and trim the aircraft perfectly the A/P holds it in a 1k FPM climb or dive and that on a good day. Please have a go at it I am sure it can be fixed. Remember there were similar issues with the BAC 111 and you managed to solve it. It's such a gorgeous aircraft it deserves to be fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic