This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Duchess Model 76
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duchess Ailments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:07pm
What is auto-trim and how is it supposed to work?
Is it what the manual refers to as "Electric Trim"?
What does the electric trim do?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:13pm
Hi Pete,

When switched on, the trim system will trim the aircraft to maintain the attitude that existed at the time of engagement, easing the need to make large control inputs.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:17pm
An FDE update went live on Sunday which should have addressed the take-off/trim issue, however the development team are continuing to make changes to both the code/functionality and FDE, and we will make further updates available ASAP.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 1:17pm
Take off with Trim Switch OFF - Trim set neutral.

Aircraft attempts to climb rapidly, have to use forward presure on stick to maintain 800 fpm climb.
Attempt to manually trim for 800 fpm, move trimwheel SLIGHTLY forward - trim indicator shoots all the way forward but aircraft now climbing in excess of 2000 fpm.
Trim wheel back to neutral and hold stick well forward to maintain level flight, switch Electric Trim ON, nose pitches violently upwards to verticle.
scottb613 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 5:24pm
Hi Folks,

How disappointing - for me the FDE is the most important part of a model... I'm surprised it was released with so many issues... I'm very interested in a well done Duchess - I'll keep an eye on this for signs of improvement...

I've got some hours in a Duchess, a bunch more in a Sierra, and a ton of hours in a Sundowner... Pretty familiar with the entire baby Beech line...

Also - watched a bunch of videos - the spinners seem pretty distracting - as the shine doesn't rotate in real life - would suggest a rework of the textures with a more uniform paint...

C'mon JF - if you build it - they will come...

Regards,
Scott
iflygary View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iflygary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 2:26am
Originally posted by scottb613 scottb613 wrote:

Hi Folks,

How disappointing - for me the FDE is the most important part of a model... I'm surprised it was released with so many issues... I'm very interested in a well done Duchess - I'll keep an eye on this for signs of improvement...

I've got some hours in a Duchess, a bunch more in a Sierra, and a ton of hours in a Sundowner... Pretty familiar with the entire baby Beech line...

Also - watched a bunch of videos - the spinners seem pretty distracting - as the shine doesn't rotate in real life - would suggest a rework of the textures with a more uniform paint...

C'mon JF - if you build it - they will come...

Regards,
Scott

Scott,
I'm at least pleased that someone with real time in a Duchess has chimed in.  I've somewhat gone silent in regards to posting comments here,  but even after the update, I still do not fly this little baby.  It's just too disappointing to do so.  After the initial release of the Arrow, I had the fortune of being one of the testers since I had real world time in an Arrow III.  Hopefully you can chime in an offer some feedback to the fine folks here at JF to get this little baby done right.  I'm itching to get her back in the air, but I just can't handle the aggravation of dealing with the multiple issues that it presents.  I'm really hoping they get this model done right.  I too feel as though it was released a bit too prematurely. 

Gary
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 2:57am
There is an updated fde in the works - hopefully it'll be out in the very near future. It should address the majority of the problems encountered so far, as Gary has mentioned I am always happy to enter into correspondance with pilots who have experience of the aircraft in real life in order to improve and fine-tune the aircraft, drop me a pm if interested!

Cheers,
Paul.
scottb613 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by iflygary iflygary wrote:

Scott,
I'm at least pleased that someone with real time in a Duchess has chimed in.  I've somewhat gone silent in regards to posting comments here,  but even after the update, I still do not fly this little baby.  It's just too disappointing to do so.  After the initial release of the Arrow, I had the fortune of being one of the testers since I had real world time in an Arrow III.  Hopefully you can chime in an offer some feedback to the fine folks here at JF to get this little baby done right.  I'm itching to get her back in the air, but I just can't handle the aggravation of dealing with the multiple issues that it presents.  I'm really hoping they get this model done right.  I too feel as though it was released a bit too prematurely. 

Gary

Hi Gary,

I haven't purchased the aircraft yet - and to be clear I don't have a great deal of time in a Duchess - just flew it under supervision a couple times in a friends aircraft... I do own a Sundowner which is based on a very similar airframe but as you know is a completely different animal...

That said - it doesn't sound like the basic book stats are working in the FDE yet - therefore - the little nuances a pilot can offer wouldn't do much good... To start with you need - landing/takeoff distances - rate of climb - airspeeds dirty/clean (Vx Vy Vr Vapp etc) fuel consumption - range - working correctly... Then you get into the single engine behavior... All this from a POH - then pilot nuances...

I see they are working on it - so I'll keep an eye on this aircraft to see how it shakes out... It's highly desirable for me...

Regards,
Scott     
scottb613 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

There is an updated fde in the works - hopefully it'll be out in the very near future. It should address the majority of the problems encountered so far, as Gary has mentioned I am always happy to enter into correspondance with pilots who have experience of the aircraft in real life in order to improve and fine-tune the aircraft, drop me a pm if interested!

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

All that is encouraging - thanks for responding...

As mentioned - we need a good flying FDE meeting book numbers before getting down in the weeds with interpreted flight characteristics...

While you probably already have it - I think I have a full Duchess POH electronically - somewhere - if that would help ?

Regards,
Scott
iflygary View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iflygary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm

Hi Gary,

I haven't purchased the aircraft yet - and to be clear I don't have a great deal of time in a Duchess - just flew it under supervision a couple times in a friends aircraft... I do own a Sundowner which is based on a very similar airframe but as you know is a completely different animal...

That said - it doesn't sound like the basic book stats are working in the FDE yet - therefore - the little nuances a pilot can offer wouldn't do much good... To start with you need - landing/takeoff distances - rate of climb - airspeeds dirty/clean (Vx Vy Vr Vapp etc) fuel consumption - range - working correctly... Then you get into the single engine behavior... All this from a POH - then pilot nuances...

I see they are working on it - so I'll keep an eye on this aircraft to see how it shakes out... It's highly desirable for me...

Regards,
Scott     [/QUOTE]

Scott,

Thanks for the feedback as well as your input regarding POH numbers, etc.  Congrats on owning a Sundowner.  While I do have my PPL, just as I mentioned before regarding being able to help out with the Arrow, airplane ownership for myself is the ultimate goal.  In the meantime, "getting behind the controls" in our beloved flight simulators is the next best thing. Big smile  I know Paul and the guys will get things right, they always do.  It's great though to know that they at least listen to the feedback we provide to them.  Happy flying!!

Gary
scottb613 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm

Scott,

Thanks for the feedback as well as your input regarding POH numbers, etc.  Congrats on owning a Sundowner.  While I do have my PPL, just as I mentioned before regarding being able to help out with the Arrow, airplane ownership for myself is the ultimate goal.  In the meantime, "getting behind the controls" in our beloved flight simulators is the next best thing. Big smile  I know Paul and the guys will get things right, they always do.  It's great though to know that they at least listen to the feedback we provide to them.  Happy flying!!

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks - yeah - just take all your initial estimates of what aircraft ownership will cost you - then times that by 10... It's insanely expensive - shockingly so... LOL - my engine only had about 800 hours on it before it started making metal - just my luck - I won't bore you with the details of my decisions but I'm in the middle of a factory zero time firewall forward replacement and the bill will be around 40K - and THAT's for just a little four banger 0-360... A partner or club might be more tolerable... Best of luck to you whichever road you choose...

Regards,
Scott
iflygary View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iflygary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by scottb613 scottb613 wrote:

Scott,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks - yeah - just take all your initial estimates of what aircraft ownership will cost you - then times that by 10... It's insanely expensive - shockingly so... LOL - my engine only had about 800 hours on it before it started making metal - just my luck - I won't bore you with the details of my decisions but I'm in the middle of a factory zero time firewall forward replacement and the bill will be around 40K - and THAT's for just a little four banger 0-360... A partner or club might be more tolerable... Best of luck to you whichever road you choose...

Regards,
Scott

Yikes!!! And ouch all at the same time spending money like that. I have a friend of mine that is a doctor and he owns a Piper Dakota. He asked me if I wanted to go in with him but I told him I have two kids in college right now and that's where my money is already going. I will definitely consider partnership ownership though in the future. On the brighter side, Just Flight's latest update for this little baby is a REMARKABLE IMPROVEMENT!!!!

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic