This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Max obtainable speed JF Archer III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcorstjens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max obtainable speed JF Archer III
    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:08pm
Immediately upon release I did buy the Archer III from JF, and indeed this is a very nice aircraft inside and out. It flyes gorgeously and all systems work as intended.
I however only have one issue when flying it:
Whatever I do, I never can get a speed above 110 kts which is far too low for a 185HP engine.
Even at max RPM, at optimal leaning and horizontal flight, and flaps fully retracted 110 kts is all I will get!
Can somebody help me out here with an explanation or solution? 
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 12:35am
There are two parts to this - firstly, I've just taken it up to check and hit 120 at less than max throttle in FSX-A, so I don't think the problem is entirely due to the aircraft.
Secondly, max structural cruise speed is 125, so whilst I'll accept it's a touch on the slow side (old engine?) and I was told that despite the difference in engine size there was only about a 5 knot gain over the Warrior (heavier engine, spats on the wheels) it's actually not as far off as it may seem.

I think the first thing we need to sort out is why you are only seeing 110 at max throttle when I'm getting 120 at less than max. Could you check our calibrations and make sure you have realism sliders all to max, also which sim are you using?

Cheers,
Paul.
jcorstjens View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcorstjens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:24pm
Hello Paul, thanks for your feedback.

FYI only, I have a PPL SEP and did fly, amongst others, the Piper Arrow II. Currently I fly mostly the French Robin DR400 (Diesel with FADEC).

I am working with the P3Dv4 simulator.
I again tested the Archer today, with autopilot engaged at HDG (co-ordinated flight) and Alt (no climb).
RPM was 3000 RPM (300 > red line) after leaning and speed achieved was 122 kts.
I feel it is too low, so I will need to study the POH to verify.
Hope this info is of use to you also.

With best regards,

Jan

Wiggi001 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiggi001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:23am
Good Morning

Having had a little flit around in the long awaited Archer, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the flight characteristics. The JF archer is definitely about 6-10 kts slow at 2400 RPM and more so at 2700 RPM. The engine RPM runs away in level flight to 3000 rpm which is just wrong! EGT seems wrong and doesn't vary with leaning or RPM but the biggy for me is the frame rate hit- its a monster out eating some very complex systems in other aircraft. Having said that JF have modelled a nicely fitted out GA favourite that I'm sure it will be will be improved upon to become a great FS aircraft, but for now back to my doctored Dreamfleet Dakota
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcorstjens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:36pm
Considering the fact that two real world GA pilots claim that the flight model of the Archer III is NOT correct with respect to the speed envelope, does Justflight consider to have a closer look at this otherwise very nice plane and bring out an update to match the speeds of the simulated Archer III better with the real world Archer III?
Many thanks for your support and best regards,
Jan
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcorstjens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:38pm
Same holds true for the maximum RPM of 3300 rpm which is 10% above the red line!! 
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by jcorstjens jcorstjens wrote:

Same holds true for the maximum RPM of 3300 rpm which is 10% above the red line!! 

Let me discuss here and I'll get back to you with a response as soon as possible.

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated and never ignored.
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:41am
I've noticed that the EGT seems off in the X-Plane version as well.  The reading seems consistently too high, being at full scale deflection under most conditions making it impossible to use the gauge to set the mixture correctly.  Is there an easily implementable user fix via planemaker.exe?

Andy L
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by AndyUK AndyUK wrote:

I've noticed that the EGT seems off in the X-Plane version as well.  The reading seems consistently too high, being at full scale deflection under most conditions making it impossible to use the gauge to set the mixture correctly.  Is there an easily implementable user fix via planemaker.exe?

Andy L

Andy, this isn't available in X-Plane as yet.  Will be but not yet.
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:46pm
My mistake - I've actually got this for X-Plane 11 (https://www.justflight.com/product/pa28r-turbo-arrow-iii-iv-xplane-11), but the question still stands, is there any way of the user correcting the EGT gauge's over reading?  Or better still is there a fix in the pipeline?

Andy L
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by AndyUK AndyUK wrote:

Andy L
This issue seems to have resolved itself, maybe it was caused by one of the 11.30 betas.  Note that it is the Turbo Arrow III/IV not the Archer III that I've got.

Andy L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic