This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Trains > JT General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TS2018 & TSW cofusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TS2018 & TSW cofusion
    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:14am
I am a bit part-time user of TS2018, but I am confused by TSW, is this something totally different? Do they both use different DLC? What about TS2019, will I need to upgrade with it go 64bit or will my addons still work? Going from what I have read TS2018 will be upgraded to 64bit...

I was going to get TSW but not sure if I am just better off staying with TS2018......already spread across P3DV4.3 and XP11  flight sims so would rather keep trains to 1 sim, I also have TS2018 on Steam was that a good choice?

Thanks for any advice.

Wayne
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:19pm
TS20xx and TSW are different things. They probably share some code (similar to FSX and the now abandoned FSW), but while some external addons may theoretically be compatible, it usually won't work.
DLC on Steam is strictly tied to the product, so you won't be able to install DLC for TS20xx in TSW.
TS2018 vs. TS2019 might be like FSX/P3Dv3 vs P3Dv4, so some addons will work out of the box, some will need an update (and otherwise won't work with a 64bit TS20xx), some might need a new purchase (because many developers need money to be able to invest time into an old product, and porting something to 64bit needs time).

Until now upgrades from e.g. TS2014 to TS2015 to ... to TS2018 happened automatically on Steam, so if you want to stay at an older version, you will have to disable automatic updates.

But I assume that if TS2019 causes too many incompatibilities, there will be a way to either install both at the same time (like e.g. Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, where owners of the old game automatically received the new one on Steam in addition to the old) or switch between 32 or 64bit installations in the context menu of the game (either via Properties->Betas or two different launch options).

If you are happy with TS20xx and don't miss anything that is included in TSW (or available as a DLC only for TSW), then I'd recommend staying with your current sim

If you intend to buy large amounts of DLC, be aware that:
- you can't use it on the other sim, so switching will be harder
- the DLC may not be available in a 64bit version of TS20xx at first (or at all, or needs a new purchase)

wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:56pm
Thanks ThomasAH for your reply, that clears up most of the items I was concerned about.

I fully understand that I may need to pay for updates of stuff I already to make it work in 19, done this with P3DV4.

I think I will stick with 18 and if it is a vast improvement I will buy 19, I also remember free upgrades to previous TS versions I had but as this new one is 64bit I expect a charge and it might be best to just change, like a clean slate, lucky for me I am a casual user so I haven't bought that much yet.

Thanks

Wayne
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:35am
has some details, here is the summary:

* We’re adding 64-bit to Train Simulator 2019 for everyone
* We’re not taking 32-bit away, you’ll still be able to play this for the foreseeable future if you don’t have the computer to run it
* All your content will work in 32-bit and 64-bit in exactly the same way
* We need your feedback on how well 64-bit works for you via our Customer Support site

So it seems:
- you'll get the 64-bit version for free, and 32-bit will still be available
- old DLC should work, and they want feedback and hope to fix it if it doesn't

Sounds good to me Smile
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:02pm
TS2019 is available now and I can confirm that it works in both, 32 and 64 bit and that the addons are still available (but I've tried only one for now)
Read the FAQ though to fix a sound issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic