This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DH.104 Dove & Devon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to Fly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to Fly?
    Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:04pm
This is a lovely machine with a beautiful cockpit and amazing sounds. I love the plane, but I'm just not sure where to fly 'realistic' flights. Any suggestions. My sim and traffic is all set up for 2008-2012 - so no missions from the 50s or 60s. 

Does anybody fly this bird regularly, if so ... where?

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:48pm
Hi,
I believe you can still charter a Dove flight from Biggin Hill to Le Touquet for a spot of lunch and then fly back again. I suggest recreating that as a good starting point (sandwich upon landing optional).

Mithras View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 2:49pm
That's neat! You can fly from Headcorn, too, which takes you up with a spitfire for photo opportunities. I was thinking at work ... perhaps an epic flight? Maybe flying the South African paint from Capetown to London, via the Sahara and Gibraltar for a visit or airshow, or even to join a museum collection. On that same theme... its a long flight, but maybe fly the NZ paint from Christchurch to Singapore, Akrotiri, Malta, Gibralter and then to London on a similar mission. They would be epic flights, but I've rarely enjoyed flying a twin aircraft as smooth and immersive as the Dove.
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
IIRC there were commercial flights from Blackpool to the Isle of Man.
Must Fly!
AlyMac View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 11:10am
When I started flying back in 1973 I needed two cushions, one to sit on, the other behind me to fly G-AWES - an old C-150H.

At about the same time there was a Dove lying abandoned for many months. From memory she was in maroon and white livery - damned if I can remember the registration though. She had been used for flying shellfish from Stornaway, Benbecula, Barra and Tiree to France ! 

Loganair operated a Heron - I think a Dove as well if my memory is correct. I have the Loganair book in storage and Im sure there are some pictures within.

I used to fly for Loganair and the routes are the very best without exception. Demanding wx and the most beautiful scenery in the World :-) These were the routes I flew in the DHC-6, and they hadnt been changed since Loganair started in the 1970's flying builders, bricklayers, Plasterers and newspapers !

Dont forget that the air ambulance service was also in operation. The most unusual we had was flying a seal (the furry kind rather than the special forces type) which had been hit by a propeller in Barra harbour. It was flown to Glasgow on a chilly November night and returned a few days later !

Enjoy

Glasgow - Tiree - Barra - Tiree - Glasgow
Glasgow - Machrihannish - Glasgow
Glasgow - Carrickfinn - Glasgow (our only international flight in the Tw'otter)
Stornaway - Benbecula, Barra. Tiree - Stronaway (morning and afternoon School run ! YES I am serious) - this was the most memorable of flights in my log book. Short sectors and awe inspiring scenery
Edinburgh - Wick - Sumburgh - Wick - Edinburgh
Edinburgh - Lerwick- Unst - Lerwick Edinburgh
...Put out my hand, and touched the face of God
Mithras View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm
Great stuff, thanks! I've flown a lot of those routes (in the sim) with the BN Islander, it would be nice to do them in the Dove. 
AlyMac View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 7:38am
.......sorry chum, that was a senior moment about Loganair aircraft type and times. It was BEA - British European Airways who operated the service with the Heron and Dove in the 1950's.

Corrosion was a major factor for BEA stopping a service to Barra. Salt ingest from tidal operations took their toll on the Heron/Dove wing structures. BEA dropped the other routes as unprofitable during the "Jet Age" 'sixties and of course the Heron and Dove were retired from service - with nothing to replace them. 

Willie Logan started in 1962 with the PA-23. He also operated a Beech 18 out of Edinburgh in the 1970's - how i loved to walk around G-ASUG at Edinburgh ! She lives at East Fortune now.
...Put out my hand, and touched the face of God
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic