This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dreaded Steam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basilmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreaded Steam
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:19pm
Over years I have purchase many add ons to Train Simulator -many of them are Just Train products:Severn Valley,West Somerset,East Coast Express,Austrian Experience,Pro Train 3, Berlin Stettin Route,Glacier Express, Japanese routes ,RailWOrks,etc. None of these will work unless i operate through STEAM -which is VERY slow to load, doesn't even all ow me to use most of the products above -  Railworks is nothing like the product I originally put on my PC -even though They were uploaded to Steam.Steam has been a terrible experience.
If I go ahead and buy more stuff from Just trains, will I still have to do so via the Steam account ?
All above are XP,so presumably they won't work when Steam give up XP? Will I be able to use Windows 10? I think we've been conned into buying about £300 of stuff which CAN NOW ONLY BE ACCESSED VIA A STEAM ACCOUNT.
Brian Astell
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Basilmusic Basilmusic wrote:

Over years I have purchase many add ons to Train Simulator -many of them are Just Train products:Severn Valley,West Somerset,East Coast Express,Austrian Experience,Pro Train 3, Berlin Stettin Route,Glacier Express, Japanese routes ,RailWOrks,etc. None of these will work unless i operate through STEAM -which is VERY slow to load, doesn't even all ow me to use most of the products above -  Railworks is nothing like the product I originally put on my PC -even though They were uploaded to Steam.Steam has been a terrible experience.
If I go ahead and buy more stuff from Just trains, will I still have to do so via the Steam account ?
All above are XP,so presumably they won't work when Steam give up XP? Will I be able to use Windows 10? I think we've been conned into buying about £300 of stuff which CAN NOW ONLY BE ACCESSED VIA A STEAM ACCOUNT.

If you want Just Trains products, you buy them from us and not from Steam.  At some point they might go on sale via Steam but if they are on our website, you can buy them from our website, it's your choice.  The platform the product is an add-on for will be shown at the top of the page, most of our current and recent add-ons are compatible and work with Train Sim, the latest version being 2018. 

Steam is just another website that hosts and sells thousands of products, it's not a platform as such.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Basilmusic View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basilmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:55am
Thanks for replying. So,if i disable steam completely and then load TS and some of these addons I could run them? Railworks, Severn Valley,W.Somerset,etc. I have and would love to run them again,but NOT via this dreaded STEAM. Is this correct?  Brian
PS I am running XP and these products are XP compatible. I realise that soon I will have to bit the bullet and move on to Windows 10.Are any TS and addons available on Windows 10?
Brian Astell
Derek View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:02am
Nothing to 'dread' about Steam. It's the best thing to happen to PC games since the graphics card. It won't slow your PC down - that is probably the games you are running.
Rail Simulator/Railworks/Train Simulator (all the same thing) runs via Steam. The latest version of FSX - that runs better than the old disc version - is also on Steam. So, to run the host games you need Steam. If they won't run properly using Steam then your PC needs attention.
As for the add-ons, all add-ons are available outside Steam, but NOT all add-ons are available to buy through Steam.
However, as I say, that's academic - you need to get the games running properly before you worry about the add-ons.
Also, some of the add-ons you mention are for the old Microsoft Train Simulator - this isn't on Steam and add-ons for it won't run with Rail Simulator/Railworks/Train Simulator.
Hope that helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic