This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Hauler 1 or 2; Could it Work for This?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Hauler 1 or 2; Could it Work for This?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:46pm
Hello everyone, 1st time posting here.

I was made aware of Air Hauler through a post I'd made on Avsim about desiring something like Freight Dogs (owned it for FS9) for FSX.  A poster there said Air Hauler is like Freight Dogs but on steroids, which definitely perked my interest.  ;)  However, Air Hauler seems to be very feature rich to the point it might be too feature heavy for my play style. I used Freight Dogs almost exclusively for bush piloting cargo and a lot of that was flying seaplanes to floatplane bases in southwestern British Columbia - IIRC that latter element was possible via floatplane bases in Jon Patches' Vancouver+.

I'm wondering though, how suited Air Hauler would be for such a simple form of cargo delivery? I'm really only interested in hauling cargo to rural floatplane bases in BC and mostly in floatplanes with fairly low cargo capacity. I have the default De Havilland Beaver from FSX:SE running with Accu-feel. I also own and really enjoy Carenado's Cessna CU206 Stationair, which has more or less become my go-to floatplane.
Those would be the 2 aircraft I'd use, so I'm wondering if they present enough variety and capability for an Air Hauler cargo business to even be functional?

I also have UTX Canada v2 and Flyaway Simulations BC Floatplane bases installed, so that I can do bush piloting to remote floatplane bases. Those floatplane bases though, are very bare bones/plain vanilla.
So another question I have is, whether Air Hauler requires airports with more FSX features and of greater capacity than that to effectively work?

I also have some concerns about how much of a hit Air Hauler might place on my FSX performance. Currently my FSX config consists of Accu-feel, Active Sky, FS Panel on my tablet supported via FSUIPCv4 and I also run TrackIR 5.4.2. Meanwhile, my PC is generations from bleeding edge; i5 2500 quad @ 3.3 Ghz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, Geforce 680 TX w/2 GB, running Win7 64 bit. I do have my installation optimized (mostly by following the Avsim guide) and get good performance; albeit frame rates sometimes drop to the low 20's at airports and floatplane bases in large cities with pronounced geographical variance; i.e. Vancouver International (CYVR) and Vancouver Harbor (CYHC.)
So would I notice a performance hit from Air Hauler running such a PC and FSX configuration?

Lastly, which version to get?
I'm not clear what state Air Hauler 2 is in development; I'd read from one of the posters in my Avsim thread that it's in Beta, but the store page seems to suggest Alpha. I'm not opposed to running Early Access or Beta apps, as I have some background in software QA. Apps in Alpha on the other hand, are a bit too early in the dev cycle for my comfort zone. So has Air Hauler's Early Access advanced to Beta?

Any answers that can be provided for my questions, would be much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic