This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic 360 Recompiling BGL Files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic 360 Recompiling BGL Files
    Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:48pm
Hi
Wondering if somebody may be able to provide some insight into recompiling the traffic BGL files in Traffic 360 running on FSX-SE

Would the correct procedure be to navigate to:

Steam/steamapps/common/FSX/scenery/World/scenery

And delete the current ai-traffic BGL file and the associated yearly schedules BGL's (Summer 2011 / Summer 2012 etc) contained within this folder and then re-run Traffic 360 Control Center Traffic Generator in order to create a clean ai-traffic BGL file and the yearly schedule BGL files?

Any input or advice on the correct way to carry out this procedure would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:16pm
Most importantly - DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES.
Rename them by putting, say, an 'x' on the file extension (.bglx).
Then if anything goes wrong with whatever else you do, you can always get back to what you originally had in place.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
vortexwake View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:08pm
Hi Ray
Thanks for your response and advice regarding simply renaming the BGL with an 'x' in the event that deleting the BGL completely creates any further problems....sound advice

I believe that I may have compiled too many traffic plans in the Traffic Movements screen of T360 while trying to sync it up with FSX-SE to get a reasonable and stable amount of ai traffic (as well as making adjustments to the percentage of traffic in the FSX-SE settings) and it seems to be causing some issues with far too much ai and duplicate ai aircraft flying virtually on top of each other at cruise altitude and also during finals 

I'm really trying to avoid having to do a complete uninstall/re-install of T360 if at all possible and was thinking that deleting the existing BGL files and regenerating them from scratch might be worth attempting before considering going the uninstall/re-install route

Will try your suggestion of renaming the existing BGL files and attempt to generate new BGL's

Thanks again and Best Regards
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:30am
Note that, although I obtained T360 when it first came out, I did not install it as I was too heavily into Traffic X modifications and improvements. T360 was not an 'upgrade to TX' but a completely separate entity. So any comments I make are based on investigations of the files contained in the T360 set up and not based upon experience of usage.

I believe the original ai-traffic.bgl that comes with T360 was a compilation that included the file groups -
Spring Schedules 2012
Winter Schedules 2013
Military Flights 2012 and
VFR Traffic
all combined into a single BGL file.
Each of the Airline groups contain .tcc files for a selection of airlines. It may be that 2 or more of the groups contain schedules for some airlines that contain the same individual schedule. Compiling, say, both the Summer Schedule 2007 and the Summer Schedule 2011 groups may therefore result in the appearance of duplicate aircraft - just a possibility?
The idea of providing various schedules looked to me like a good idea but I decided that I wouldn't proceed with T360 as it was not possible to import my schedules from Traffic X.

Good luck with your re-compiling.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 2:20pm
Hi Ray
I believe that your correct regarding T360 having an original ai-traffic.bgl compilation containing Spring 2012/Winter 2013/Military 2012/VFR....in reading your last post....particularly the one line...'all combined into a single BGL file'....it occurred to me that in my trial and error fashion of working with T360 so far....I may have actually been compiling additional BGL files in the Traffic Movements by adding in other yearly schedules (and probably unknowingly repeating Spring 2012 and Winter 2013) along with a small amount of Military 2012 and VFR....this would sort of explain the excessive amount of ai traffic on the ground and commercial aircraft parking all over the GA ramps (even with the FSX-SE traffic settings set to a modest 30%) and more so the condition of having duplicate aircraft at cruise altitude and on finals coexisting in virtually the same airspace

I've only recently begun using T360 although I have previously used JF Traffic in FS 2004....but it still is a learning curve even with the use of the manual....I find myself doing a lot of trial/error/redo with T360....but I think this sometimes gives you a better understanding of the functionality even if it is at times somewhat frustrating

I understand that your an avid Traffic X user and your depth of knowledge on this topic is impressive....I've seen some of your other posts to people asking questions be it for Traffic X or T360....but I think your most likely correct that the basic interface of the two products is quite similar with some slight differences....but in your particular situation....the differences are probably much more pronounced because of the amount of time you've spent on modifications and improvements....which is why I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my somewhat basic questions regarding the BGL files

I'm still going to carry on with my trial and error approach (with manual reference) to getting T360 functioning to where I would like it to be....I know it's always going to be a work in progress to achieve that....but getting the BGL files issue sorted out is good place to start

If I may ask one other question while I'm thinking about it....and again....I understand that your main knowledge base is with Traffic X.....but are you aware of any way to 'reset' for lack of a better term....Traffic X (T360) back to the default setting as it was during the initial install?.....short of doing a complete uninstall/reinstall which I really don't ever want to have to do....but in the event something like that became inevitable.....is there any 'last ditch' attempt to save the program and reset it back to default before having to go the more extreme route of uninstall/reinstall?

I would go ahead and carry out the uninstall/reinstall if it was necessary and there was no other way around it.....but I figure that based on your knowledge of the products....that if anybody would be aware of such a function that it would most likely be you

Thanks for your responses and insight
Best Regards
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 12:43am
If I may weigh in here ...

Like Ray, I use Traffic X. I don't own Traffic 360. Knowing that the two programs work in a similar way, I'd suggest you may find yourself needing to do the reinstall.

The only other way I can think you might do it is to have somebody send you the default .BGL files. (Hmmm, maybe even Ray has those?) You'd then remove the .BGL files that you inadvertently created (by renaming them, or in this case probably even deleting them), and copy the provided default .BGL files in to the folder in their place.

The sim doesn't store anything away in its memory, it merely loads the .BGL files when it runs. So simply obtaining the default .BGL files and copying those in place would revert the AI traffic in the sim straight back to the Traffic 360 defaults.

However ...

My only question about this would be the program itself. If you have made AI changes in the interface, and saved those, then replacing your compiled .BGL files with the default .BGL files won't work for you because your next compile will obviously use the saved AI changes that you've been making within the program; and those nice, clean, default .BGL files will be overwritten with those changes leaving you right back in the same predicament again. In that scenario, the only way to "fix" things would be the reinstall option. The reinstall option not only gives you the default .BGL files, but also clears out any saved AI changes that you've made within the program.

That said, if it's a simple matter for you to "undo" the changes you've made within the program, then obtaining a copy of the default .BGL files might be the easiest way to go (assuming of course that you can indeed get those from somebody).

But ...

All of what I've said here assumes that Ray can't offer some fancy Traffic 360 trick or function which will get you out of the bind.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:40pm
Hi Freddy and thanks for your response

I recognize from some of your previous posts on this forum that you're also very knowledgeable regarding the Traffic X and Traffic 360 programs as well....so I of course welcome any input or insight that you may have to offer on this issue

After trying some of Ray's suggestions regarding renaming the current BGL files and attempting more of my trial and error approach with T360 and FSX-SE settings....I still seem to be experiencing the same problem of excessive ai traffic

As much as I'm trying to avoid it....I think that your probably right in suggesting that likely the most sure fire way to bring T360 back to it's most basic set up stage as it was during the initial install....will be to preform the uninstall/reinstall....on some levels this may be an easier route to take as opposed to obtaining a copy of the default BGL files from Ray if he happened to have them

I will however....wait to see if Ray responds with any tip or trick that he might be aware of for resetting T360 back to it's default state and foregoing the uninstall/reinstall route

Needless to say....once I do get T360 back as close as possible to it default settings....whichever way that comes about.....I'll be much more careful about making changes to the yearly schedules or creating unnecessary BGL files

Thanks for your input Freddy.....I appreciate it

Best Regards
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 3:57pm
What files do you think you may have changed from the originals?

You have done some compiling so have you created one or more 'traffic bgl's'?

Have you edited any of the original .tcc schedule files?

Have you done any editing of the aircraft files?

Have you done any editing of the scenery files?

In the next 24 hours, I will hope to have a new set of the initial installation files - I will be doing a 'dummy' install on my laptop just as I did years ago when I first obtained T360 (I am keeping it well away from my TX install on my PC).

My FSX installation gets backed up regularly so that, should I make changes that go wrong, I can get back to the earlier version quickly.

Will let you know when I have the fresh installation.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 3:05am
Hi Ray

I haven't edited any of the original .tcc schedule files / aircraft files or the scenery files....and don't think I've made any changes to the original BGL files outside of trying to rename and temporarily disable it while trying to complete the recompile....I saved the original and moved it out of the scenery folder while doing this....the recompile created a new ai-aircraft bgl...but it didn't seem to correct the problem so I removed recompiled bgl and put the original back into the scenery file

In working with the TCC....I think what may have happened....and I'm only speculating.....is that when I've gone into the Traffic Movements to for instance.....create Military or VFR (Random Traffic Business)....that I haven't unchecked the Summer Schedule 2012 / Winter Schedule 2013 check box....and when I click on the 'Compile Traffic X Flight Plans'....it in effect is regenerating a duplicate of the Simmer 2012 /Winter 2013 BGL and adding it into the ai-aircraft bgl in the scenery folder

I think....but am not sure.....that this may be what's happening....would that be possible?....if so would simply removing the original ai-aircraft bgl file.... recompiling a new ai-aircraft bgl with only the default Summer 2012 / Winter 2013 check boxes checked....and placing it back in the scenery folder more or less reset it back to a default state?

If not and you think that preforming an uninstall/reinstall would be a better solution as opposed to needlessly troubleshooting the issue.....I would do that....I do appreciate your suggestion of reloading T360 onto your laptop to create the BGL files....but don't want you to go to any unnecessary trouble of doing that if a reinstall would be easier

Thanks Ray

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 2:32pm
IF the only changes that you have made to the installation are various compiles the I really do not see any need to do any re-installs.

The original AI bgl file was "ai-traffic.bgl" in \Scenery\World\scenery.

When you have done any 'Compile Traffic X FlightPlans' (curiously named option!), what have you used as the name for the compiled file/files?
I see that, when using this option (in Traffic Movements), that you are allowed to select one or more of the 9 'grouped schedules' (6 Airline types, Military, User and VFR Traffic) to create an AI bgl. It seems that you can also selectively exclude some of the entries within the groups but I shall ignore this for now.
You need to get rid of any of the bgl files that you have created in the \Scenery\World\scenery, leaving all of the original FSX ones plus the original T360 "ai-traffic.bgl". For reference, my "ai-traffic.bgl" has a file size of 102,328KB and dated 17/03/2013 13:46.
What you could try is, after renaming the 'AI-traffic.bgl' to ai-traffic.bglx, use the T360 Traffic Movements - Compile Traffic X FlightPlans option to generate separate AI bgls's for each of the grouped schedules.
For example,
add a tick next to Military Flights 2012 and remove any other ticks in the same column (ignore what goes on in the table on the right). Compile and name the file "AI-Military-traffic.bgl".
Do the same for VFR Traffic, calling it "AI-VFR-traffic.bgl".
Repeat for Spring Schedule 2012, calling it "AI-Spring2012-traffic.bgl".
Repeat for Winter Schedule 2013, calling it "AI-Winter2013-traffic.bgl".

I think that these 4 bgl files will be the equivalent in FSX / FSX:SE of the original "ai-traffic.bgl".

Re-reading the T360 manual reminds me again of one of the main reasons for my dislike of T360 which is that you are not supposed to be 'allowed' to edit any of the individual airline, military, etc schedules but you could add to them under the 'User Schedule' group which struck me as a very restrictive situation when I consider how much trouble I had with the schedules in Traffic X - and I am still finding really stupid errors in some Traffic X schedules!
I think that that you can 'cheat' this by temporarily moving a schedule from it's original group and put it into the 'User Schedule' group where you will be able to edit it. You would then move it back to the original group. I have not tested this out myself though.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 6:43pm
Hi Ray

I understand exactly what you're suggesting here believe that carrying this out should put the BGL files back as close as possible to being in the 'default' state

As I stated in my previous post...when I did any of the recompile with the 'Compile Traffic X Flight Plans' function (I thought naming this function Traffic X as opposed to Traffic 360 was strange too) to create additional Military or Random Business Traffic...I neglected to uncheck the defaulted yearly schedules Summer 2012 / Winter 2013 and renamed the bgl's Military Traffic or alternately Random Business Traffic....so I think this was additionally recompiling the Summer 2012 and Winter 2013 schedules in effect doubling up the amount of flight plans in the ai-aircraft bgl.....I believe this because the size of the bgl was much larger than your stated size of 102,328KB....I don't recall the exact size but it was close to double the size....whereas I seem to recall seeing the bgl in the default state before I started messing around with it being the exact size and date and time stamp that you referenced

I think that I understand now where I started coming off the tracks when attempting to create the additional bgl's and leading up to the problem of excessive ai traffic....but I do understand the procedure that your suggesting to attempt to bring it back to where it should be....as soon as I have some time I'll carefully follow the steps you've outlined in your last post and advise you of the outcome

I'm in full agreement with you that the T360 manual leaves much to be desired....I found it somewhat convoluted in the way it laid out certain procedures and seemed to be lacking in laying out an easier to follow format for some of the more general functions that most users would be wanting to use....I can only imagine how frustrating and restrictive it would be for somebody like yourself who would like to modify and improve it's functionality

Thanks again for your advice Ray.....I will advise you of the outcome

Best Regards
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
Just a reminder that, when you when you compile to create an AI traffic bgl, Traffic 360 will apply a 'random appearance' value to every individual schedule which will be taken into consideration by the Traffic Settings in FSX/FSX:SE.
So, this means that each repeat compile of any one or more of the groups will result in FSX/FSX:SE actually getting a different set of aircraft 'in the sky' (unless you have your FSX/FSX:SE Traffic Setting at 100% of course).
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 3:21am
Hi Ray

Sorry for the delayed response

I followed your suggestion and got rid of any previously generated ai-aircraft.bgl files that I had created and were stored in the \Scenery\World\scenery folder while maintaining the original default ai-aircraft.bgl and renaming it ai-aircraft.bglx in effect disabling it

Then proceeded to use the T360 Traffic Movements-Compile Traffic X FlightPlans to generate separate ai bgl's for each of the four grouped schedules and renamed them as per your instructions and this procedure does seem to have created the equivalent of the original default ai-traffic.bgl

There does still seem to be a little bit of excessive ai traffic being generated most notably in and around the terminals and GA parking areas ( I haven't had time to log any actual flight time in the sim while trying to sort out the T360 issue) but I think this is more directly related to making adjustments to the percentage of displayed ai traffic in the FSX-SE settings and possibly some small fine tuning of gate/parking assignments in the ADE program

I'm still trying to get T360 dialed in to exactly where I would like it to be....but your insight and suggestions regarding the bgl issue has been very helpful and provided me with a better understanding of working with them while making any changes in T360

I won't hesitate to post here in the forum should any other questions or issues arise

Thanks very much....I really appreciate it

Best Regards
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:49am
Thanks for telling us of your progress with T360. It is always good to hear from someone who, having been given some suggestions as to how to proceed, actually come back on the Forum and confirm that useful progress has been made.
Not using T360 I cannot give specific figures for Traffic Settings in FSX/FSX:SE, but, on my TX set up, I find that settings between 60 and 70 percent give me sufficient but not overloaded traffic at the medium to large airports - but it does obviously vary. Trial and error is very much needed here.
Also, bear in mind that, over the years of T360 being in use, a lot of users have commented on the sometimes patchy quantities of airline traffic at some airports. Don't be surprised if you find strange airlines at some airports - I have recently found that, due to a similarity in airline names, an airline was appearing in a part of the world that it would never be seen!
Good luck with your further tinkering.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 1:02pm
Yes, it is good to hear you're having some success and gaining a better understanding. Well done to Ray for taking the time to provide the excellent help and suggestions, and well done to you for preserving and keeping at it. Once you get truly into the world of meddling with AI, it can become quite addictive.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortexwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 12:23am
Hi Freddy

Thanks to you as well for your input in trying to get the T360 bgl issues resolved and helping me get a better understanding with regards to some of the inner workings of the program

I absolutely agree with you that once you start trying to make changes or modifications....even the simple ones that I was attempting....and making a complete mess of in the process....that it can become very addictive....sometimes frustratingly so....but it does seem to drive the need to gain more understanding and figure out whatever the nature of the problem or issue may be and want correct it....which is why having a forum like this where people like Ray and yourself can share your insight and experience with some of these programs....makes it a truly invaluable resource

Thanks again and Best Regards
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 4:15am
True dat.

Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic