This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phantom in Vietnam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phantom in Vietnam
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:08pm
Here is a video of the Simworks Studios Phantom and their Coral Sea carrier in action over Vietnam.

Currently sold by JF at a super bargain price!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=37LNjPSXnKI

Is this aircraft really over 50 years old?

Regards
David
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Uncle Bucc View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Nice video.  Thumbs Up

So much so I took the plunge, did my research, got TacPack first and then the Phantom. 

A challenge to fly, although the Wiki pages instead of a .pdf user manual is a bit of a cop-out in my opinion by SWS especially as the front cockpit layout is completely blank.  Ermm

But although I am finding the aircraft challenging and fun I am frankly disappointed in TacPack as no matter what I do, and having printed off the SWS Wiki pages regarding the deployment of ordnance, just cannot get it to work properly.

Call up tankers, drones etc neither the bombs will drop or A/A weapons work.

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 6:55pm
[QUOTE=Uncle Bucc]
Nice video.  Thumbs Up

So much so I took the plunge, did my research, got TacPack first and then the Phantom. 

A challenge to fly, although the Wiki pages instead of a .pdf user manual is a bit of a cop-out in my opinion by SWS especially as the front cockpit layout is completely blank.  Ermm

But although I am finding the aircraft challenging and fun I am frankly disappointed in TacPack as no matter what I do, and having printed off the SWS Wiki pages regarding the deployment of ordnance, just cannot get it to work properly.

Call up tankers, drones etc neither the bombs will drop or A/A weapons work.

Hello there.

You wont regret buying Tacpack and the Phantom. Don't forget you can use Tacpack with any Tacpack programmed aircraft. I have the VRS Superbug and the Aerosoft Tomcat for example.

If you are getting stuck with the SWS Phantom and the weapons release, fear not! It took me a while to get used to the 1960's weapons release set up. There is no weapons computer here, the pilot (and in RL the REO) has to do all the work.

SWS have faithfully simulated the "B" model. They went to ex Phantom pilots.

If you require help then don't hesitate to drop Alex an e-mail at..
support@simworksstudios.com.

He has patiently helped me out!

What version are you running. I use P3dv4.1 and the Tacpack for 4.1. With the latest SWS Phantom. Tacpack versions must match the sim your running.

The sequence of arming is very critical.
e.g. Bomb release. all from Pilots seat.
1. Pilots right side panel forward. "FFC AN AWWI" 3rd dial to right, set to STBY wait 30 seconds then turn to ready. Red light on.
2. Weapons selector panel (in front of stick) From the left to right.
3. Select WPN SEL to your choice. CLSTR/RIPPLE/PAIRS/SINGLE/SINGLE/RKT DISP.
4. STEP RESET, switch up then down to NORMAL. (This step has to be done each time you select a different weapon or Station.)
5. D/L BOMB Auto or MANUAL. (doesn't matter.)
6. CONV NUC (No nukes carried so I ignore this one)
7. ARM NOSE & TAIL/SAFE/NOSE. (Absolutely vital to select NOSE & TAIL for Snakeyes or TAIL for any other bomb.)
8.INTRVL 06 sec/.10 SEC/.14 SEC.
9. STA SEL. Turn to corresponding weapon. OUTBD WING/INBD WING/CTR/ALL.
10. if DROPPING FROM CENTRE STATION YOU NEED TO ARM THE CENTRE STATION SWITCH ON THE LEFT MISSILE PANEL.
11. LABS/OFF/DIRECT. Set DIRECT.

Again, very important to use STEP RESET every time you alter settings or nothing will work!

Missiles. PWR On RADAR STBY to ARM.
RADAR/HEAT set to up for Sparrows, centre for Sidewinders. INTLK IN (up for radar)

Remember, Tacpack has to know which button on your stick you want to use for "Trigger" and "pickle". It must recognise these joystick buttons or nothing will work!! You can see the trigger and pickle moving on the Phantoms stick when you press. If not, then Tacpack isn't recognising the actions.

I have set up my Saitek X55 to slew radar with a 8 way hat. Like wise the "Half Action" is a joystick button.

I have another video on my channel (latest one up) showing some more features of the Phantom.

Its a difficult aircraft to fly. But rewarding when you get it going!

Check out the SWS support. Ask again on here if you are still stuck?

Best regards
David

Uncle Bucc View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:38am
Many, many thanks for your help in the above post.  I managed to drop bombs but being at about 15,00 feet I did not see them explode.  So I will try and do a low level attack on a runway to watch the result.  I was successful firing rockets, I prefer the smaller SNEB type variants and also managed to set off a Sidewinder by mistake.  LOL

My second flight last night I managed to get a radar lock on a small Cessna but that is still something I need to master, along with A/A refuelling.

Following that flight I headed out to sea and seven passes later managed my first carrier trap on wire number 4.  Forgot to activate the vLSO programme for the call outs.

I did check ithe pilots cockpit and the trigger and pickel buttons are recognised so at least that is working.

My Sim version is MS-FSX:SE.  I have the deluxe edition with the SDK but somebody has 'damaged' one of the disks so after custom building a PC opted for FSX Steam.  Some quirks have been ironed out but also DTG have added a few of their own.  Trying to fly the JF Canberra can cause problems if you don't know how to get around them - thankfully the internet came to my rescue there.

Back to the Phantom it is very demanding but does provide great satisfaction if you do everything correctly and I do forsee many hours of 'fun' ahead.  A pity I am spoilt for choice of military aircaft in ny virtual hangar as to decide what to fly.

I have watched your latest video which I also found very informative and most helpful.

Does the carrier tractor come with the Phantom package or the Midway package?  I ask because JF currently have both on sale at 50% off until tomorrow.

Once again thanks for your help I do appreciate it.

David (W)
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Uncle Bucc Uncle Bucc wrote:

Many, many thanks for your help in the above post.  I managed to drop bombs but being at about 15,00 feet I did not see them explode.  So I will try and do a low level attack on a runway to watch the result.  I was successful firing rockets, I prefer the smaller SNEB type variants and also managed to set off a Sidewinder by mistake.  LOL

My second flight last night I managed to get a radar lock on a small Cessna but that is still something I need to master, along with A/A refuelling.

Following that flight I headed out to sea and seven passes later managed my first carrier trap on wire number 4.  Forgot to activate the vLSO programme for the call outs.

I did check ithe pilots cockpit and the trigger and pickel buttons are recognised so at least that is working.

My Sim version is MS-FSX:SE.  I have the deluxe edition with the SDK but somebody has 'damaged' one of the disks so after custom building a PC opted for FSX Steam.  Some quirks have been ironed out but also DTG have added a few of their own.  Trying to fly the JF Canberra can cause problems if you don't know how to get around them - thankfully the internet came to my rescue there.

Back to the Phantom it is very demanding but does provide great satisfaction if you do everything correctly and I do forsee many hours of 'fun' ahead.  A pity I am spoilt for choice of military aircaft in ny virtual hangar as to decide what to fly.

I have watched your latest video which I also found very informative and most helpful.

Does the carrier tractor come with the Phantom package or the Midway package?  I ask because JF currently have both on sale at 50% off until tomorrow.

Once again thanks for your help I do appreciate it.

David (W)

Hi David.

Saw you comment on my latest You Tube movie, thanks.

Mk 83's will not arm if you drop them below 1000' AGL. Its a Tacpack limitation! I tested this with the Mk 83's on the Superbug and its correct!   So in the Phantom, if using Mk 83's, I release from 4000' AGL, in a 40 degree dive (set the HUD Pipper with the wheel). No lower or you will get frag damage. (Another reason I like Tacpack...you get damaged and die!!LOL) (Check out FSCAI...real time flak and SA13's...These are merciless silent killers and unless you are really quick to spot them, your chance of evasion ad/or flaring them is remote!

Mk 82 Snake Eyes are ideal for low level Lay Down attacks. Just fly in at 200' at 500 knots and let 'em all go (Cluster Setting on the Dial..keep your finger on that pickle button until they are all off! or you will get a "hung Store!) (So good are SWS they simulate the hang...just reset all the weapons settings and they should re initialise!)

Regarding Air to Air...The F4 is a truck when turning. However with a 10 tonne bomb load you can carry 4 Sparrows and 4 Sidewinders...Not much else these days can do that. Look at the pathetic load on the 9 Billion pound F35...Truly pathetic aircraft and a waste of British taxpayers money! It turns approximately the same as an F4 and is a full Mach slower! But I digress...

Open up the Tacpack menu and select a "Drone". Put him ahead of you at the same altitude, at +10 miles and fly him straight and level, 350 Kts. Then practice with the Sparrows. Keep repeating the Drones with different ordinance. At least at first, you can use the other Drone settings when you get your Top Gun qualification....! The "random" drone is a beast! The beggar flies like a DCS A.I. ship and will test your mettle...."Where the #### did the little sod go"?? "Where did who go"? "Oh great Viper's up here"?

The carrier tractor comes with the Coral Sea, which comes with the SWS Phantom package.

Keep your eyes on SWS they are working on a full A.I. Carrier package which includes take offs and landings on the Coral Sea. Also full deck movements of the aircraft. Take a look at my "liked videos" on my You Tube channel, I have "liked" one of their videos showing F4's doing traps and cat launches......!

BTW, just in case your unaware. You can use any carrier with the Phantom. Javiers Nimitz/Ike. Also the Kitty Hawk from Aerosoft. SWS have that nifty Hook and AOA editor that you can use on other aircraft...The SWS Phantom has the settings correctly coded.

Best Regards
David H (Herky...for Herky Bird..AKA Hercules)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic