This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > C152
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - C152 Getting Better ! - Pleeeeeze Light Me Up  !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C152 Getting Better ! - Pleeeeeze Light Me Up !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C152 Getting Better ! - Pleeeeeze Light Me Up !
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:10pm
I do a lot of flying in Norway - very dark in daytime.

Could you possibly give us either / or: gauge lighting (switchable in day), or probably easier: a brighter dome light, so I can see my panel when it's dim. At present, the panel / gauges only get brighter at full on dusk.

That would be the icing on the cake for me, as this is getting really flyable now !

Thankyou.

wingmanab View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingmanab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:35pm
I think I'm right in saying that the real C152 does not have night lighting - only the dome light.
The panel just has the radio stack fonts lit, if digital.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdB8tztfD0 which gives some idea of what the panel is like at night. and notice that at 1 min a light is put on (dome light?) but this really destroys your night vision.

A red bulb could be used, and I know some C152 pilots use a red torch, hung around their neck on a lanyard.

Maybe JF could model a red bulb in the dome light, switchable from the add on menu, which would be more realistic!?

GabethePilot View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:39pm
With respect, I'm not after 100 percent realism. I am sat in front of a 2D screen with no depth to the cockpit and no way to touch the controls, and no physical feedback.

As such, during the day facing bright sunshine, or when it is dim, such as in Norway pretty much all the time, I simply cannot see the dash.

99 percent of modern addons have the ability to independently adjust gauge backlighting, storm lights on the dash itself, and a dome light... the latter being wired to the battery and thus doesn't even need the engine to be turning.

This C152, has gauge lighting and a dome light.... but it is not bright enough. In fact you can only tell the lights are on, when it is dark.

Call it practical necessity, or artistic license, it would be very useful if it were actually useable....!

Of course if you are purist, you could always disable the breaker and not use the light/s.

Ironically, even the awful red glow in the Piper 3, actually works in the day, whereas the better lighting in the 152, does not.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:27am
Do you have the dimmable gauge lighting turned all the way to 100% (rotate the knob fully clockwise)? Even in the daytime they should give you a significant boost in visibility of the instruments, as shown in the screenshot on the product page.

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:17am
Yes I do.

I certainly do not see this in daytime.

No effect from dome light either.

Only time lighting is noticeable, is when it gets dark.

Regards.

PS I am using P3D v4.

First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:46am
UPDATE !

OK....seems I probably haven't read the manual.

Using the mouse wheel over the light dimmer switch actually moves the switch.... but only the radio lights change.

Apparently, you have to use the left and right mouse buttons to switch the lights on.

The dimmer needs moving all the way to the left, and then.... with the mouse hovering over the switch, depress right mouse button until lights come on.

Dome is not working though.

Awkward, but at least I now know.

Thnx.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:53am
The dimmer switch is two concentric knobs. One controls the gauge back lighting and the other controls the radio lighting. You can use either the mousewheel or left/right click on both knobs. Fully clockwise is full brightness for both.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:15am
Aha.... didn't notice there were two dials ... probably as I sit well back with my feet up on the dash, drinking coffee and smoking big cigars !

(Yes.... nicked that from Johnny Cash !)

My bad. I have a very bad habit of not reading manuals. Will change that immediately.

Thnx Martyn.

C152 is now my default load plane. Great for checking out sceneries or just buzzing the tower at RAF Valley !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic