This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Prepar3D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P3D v4 consumer edition?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sword7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P3D v4 consumer edition?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:37pm
Folks,

I discovered Prepar 3D flight simulator by searching through google.  I checked website but they offer only professional licenses to buy.  How about consumer edition?  Or have I buy professional license for $199?

Thanks,
Tim
Ray Fry View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Fry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:18pm
I would go for the Academic license $59.95, that`s what I use and most flight simmers go for.
Ray Fry. 
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:29pm
There is no consumer edition, because it is not sold as a game. I assume because of the license from Microsoft (ESP vs. FSX, the latter being licensed to Dovetail Games), and possibly due to higher taxes or other conditions for selling entertainment articles?

And be aware that these $199 are only valid for one major version of P3D, so if there is a P3Dv5 at some point, you will have to buy again or stay with v4.

Additionally you have to check compatibility of add-ons. Some are incompatible with all versions of P3D, even more with P3Dv4 due to the switch to 64bit. For some you need to buy a different version of the add-on, often with a higher price tag.

Ray Fry View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Fry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:12am
This is true you will have purchase a new licence for v5 when it comes or stay with v4, the same as XP ,11,12, FS9 to FSX, and most likely FSW to xxxx.
Ray Fry. 
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Ray Fry Ray Fry wrote:

This is true you will have purchase a new licence for v5 when it comes or stay with v4, the same as XP ,11,12, FS9 to FSX, and most likely FSW to xxxx.

Yes, same as with the others, but P3D has a new major release every 2 years (similar to the predecessors of FSX in the past), while X-Plane's major release cycle is much slower (4 years from 9 to 10, 6 years from 10 to 11).
And there is no real release cycle for FSX anymore (FSX-SE in 2014 is the odd one here) :)

So plan for:
- $100 per year (except when using the academic license, not sure about the conditions or, if you do not qualify, your willingness to bend the rules)
- some add-ons you have may no longer be compatible (same as with e.g. FS9->FSX)
- some add-ons you buy may be more expensive, and because of the previous you may need to buy more often
- due to the frequent updates add-ons may regularly break before being updated to the new version, and there are sometimes situations where one add-on still needs e.g. P3D v4.1 while another already requires P3D v4.2
- you may have to upgrade your hardware earlier, partly due to increasing minimum specs (DX11 with P3Dv4 now, at some point they may require DX12 and thus Windows 10), probably similar with X-Plane, partly due to having more than one simulator version installed at a time when in the process of migrating or if your favourite add-on hasn't been ported to the new version yet

The plus side (compared to FSX) is:
- new features, constantly improving visuals, fewer OOM problems, etc. (this is a BIG PLUS!)
- some of the newer add-ons are only available for P3Dv4 or have benefits when using it (e.g TrueGlass) (this plus is still small, but will probably become much bigger in the future)

P.S.: P3D is made by Lockheed Martin, who also produce weapon systems. While they don't create weapons like those used in recent and past shootings, the movie Bowling for Columbine suggests that this has an influence on the mindset of people. I haven't decided for myself yet if this counts as a no-go for me, and this forum may not be a good place to discuss this, so I please read above as food for thought and not a final judgment from me.
Ray Fry View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Fry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 12:15pm
That`s why the user should do research on what they want, for me it was a no brainer all my ORBX scenery move to P3Dv4 no charge, same as my UK2OO0 , Flightbeam , FSDT, airports. And I can mow add to my fight simulator with out fear of VAS.
In fact I have now removed FSX:SE from my PC as I've not used it for 6 months, I have FSW as well both are 64bit the future for flight sims.
But you should use what best suite you the user you have never had more choice than there is today.
Ray Fry. 
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Ray Fry Ray Fry wrote:

But you should use what best suite you the user you have never had more choice than there is today.

I fully agree with this, and my statements above should not be read as a yes or no for P3D Smile
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 2:52pm
I don't know how seriously Lockheed check up on eligibility for an academic license. I have such a license and I do legitimately meet the criteria, but if I did not, I would worry about a future clampdown on the regulations and losing my investment.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 5:24pm
The decision about purchase can be for the user only. P3D is NOT a consumer product.

But if you've searched Google, you've found the official website, the various EULA and all the warnings.

It is not for us to offer advice, particularly as you have no history in this place, making your choice of this forum all the more curious. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic