This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic X - Traffic Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
Guys,

found the problem   

The aircrafttypes.csv file output by Traffic X contains a column of data that is set to "no".
By looking at the sample file in the SDK, this column is headed "Autoschedule?".
So, by changing the "no" to "yes" means that I can now proceed to generate random schedules.   
Now I need to look into the traffic BGL to see if they are any use to me. I will probably create 'reduced' airport data files to create 'mini-random-biz' BGL files and see how I get on.

"compile-TX.bat
TrafficDataBaseBuilder /output=traffic-x.bgl /airports=airports.dat /aircraft=aircrafttypes.csv /countries=countries_regions.csv /log=log.txt /quiet=no
pause"

Thanks for helping me keep going - if you want any further info, just ask.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:15am
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

found the problem

The aircrafttypes.csv file output by Traffic X contains a column of data that is set to "no".
By looking at the sample file in the SDK, this column is headed "Autoschedule?".
So, by changing the "no" to "yes" means that I can now proceed to generate random schedules.   

Ahh yes.

That makes sense. I seem to recall noticing that a long, long time ago. It certainly didn't come to mind here, or else I would have mentioned it.

WELL DONE finding it!

I am glad you're "up and running" again, so to speak.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:41am
Just to 'finish' the story.
Used TX to compile the TX_Biz.tcc file. This creates an "aircrafttypes.csv" file containing my pre-selected business aircraft. Using the "airport.dat" file dumped from FSX, I created a sub-file containing the 2 airports plus a selection of 10 airports that I considered could 'supply' flights to my 2 airports.
TDBB then created a BGL that contained about 60-70 schedules. Then, using AIFP, I was able to reduce that number to about 10 for each of my 2 airfields and thus I got my 'Business Traffic'.   

It is interesting that, when TX produces the TX_Biz.tcc schedule, EVERY flight is a 'ONE WEEK' schedule i.e. it covers a 7 day period, with some days not containing a flight, whereas, using TDBB, all the flights are generated containing 4-hour, 6-hour, 8-hour, 12-hour or 24-hour type schedules (dependant upon the flight times, I presume. If an out-and-return will fit into a 4 hour period then it will be a "4-hour" schedule repeating 6 times a day). Possibly some extra trial-and-error work could be done on this, using some more-distant airfields in the list?
TX must have a specific way that it generates the TX_Biz.tcc schedules before it gets compiled using TDBB within TX.

So, although I still do not know why TX wouldn't supply business AI to my airports, there is a work-around if you are desperate!

But you do have to be willing to put in some effort at manipulating files.

and some Easter Egg chocolate has fuelled this work.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 5:22am

and some Easter Egg chocolate has fuelled this work.

ROFL.

But you do have to be willing to put in some effort at manipulating files.

You may have read in my early post in this thread that I purchased ORBX's CityScene Gold Coast and CityScape Canberra. CityScene Gold Coast comes with a bonus little airport called "Southport" (YSPT). It is a "lite" version of the airport with ORBX providing buildings and layout, but not much in the way of taxiways, runway and parking (ORBX are clear about this in their documentation, hinting that they intend to provide work on this airport at a later date - but I cannot wait for that and I'm not planning on buying the other product that will include this work anyway).

So ...

... Using ADE, I updated the airport's taxiways, runway, and parking. Then I set about providing some AI schedules for it. My "effort at manipulating" came by way of me not wanting to fully import this airport in to Traffic X (I did not want to use the SDK to do an airport dump and subsequent import in to Traffic X, which, for reasons I won't explain here, could end up ruining some of my other AI work). So, instead, I backed up all of my existing Traffic X files, then completely removed them from the Traffic X folder. Next, I spent considerable time manually creating each and every single file again, from scratch, but only including data for this one little airport on it's own. This included creating a specific 'Airports.dat' file, a specific 'Schedules.dat' file, and a specific 'AircraftTypes.csv' file. Following this careful, methodical work, I did a manual compile using a re-worked Traffic X '_compile.bat' batch file and, voilĂ , the result is a single, one-off, 'YSPT.bgl' AI file with GA traffic in it purely just for this little airport. And, all done without having to import this airport in to Traffic X, or any other AI program for that matter. After dropping the 'YSPT.bgl' AI file in to the same ORBX folder as the CityScene Gold Coast scenery files, I now have GA traffic at this little airport. To finish, I simply put all my backed up Traffic X files back in the usual place and I am once again good to go with Traffic X as normal the next time I need to use it.

It seems like a lot of work to do just to add a mere three GA planes to a single, small airport ... but that airport is now "alive" rather than being devoid of activity (something which was annoying me).

So, in this case, I was willing to put in the work and manually manipulate the required files. It was time-consuming, but, in the end, very much worth it. With no traffic, that airport seemed "wrong". It was something that would have eaten away at me. But now, thanks to the effort, it has traffic. I am very happy with the result. Sometimes, a little bit of manual file manipulation is the only way to go. And, it can be quite rewarding.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:03am
Freddy,

that does sound like a fair bit of effort!

When I want to add some VFR to any of my airports, I ALWAYS use AIFP to ensure that the traffic will appear (always put a % value at 1%). I have loads of different BGL files created by AIFP that are specific i.e. I put all TNG schedules in one AIFP BGL, some airports have their own BGL files, GB military in one file, some countries have their own AIFP BGL, etc.

It is easy enough to add a new airport into AIFP.

I use TX as the basic 'background' AI provider but supplement this with AIFP files - after all these years, I am still working my way thru the TX airline schedules, weeding out flights in the wrong place, flights that exceed the aircraft range, wrongly allocated/coded aircraft, etc. I have found many aircraft, allocated an airline code, that were actually a similarly named airline from a different part of the world; this meant code changes and re-routeing were necessary.

Each to our own methods I guess.   
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 3:58am

Each to our own methods I guess.   

Too true that. We all get something out the hobby in our way, using our own methods.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic