This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > C152
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light as a feather?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMGEDSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light as a feather?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm
Is there anyone else that has gotten almost flipped over in 2-3 knot winds?  The plane seems EXTREMELY sensitive to wind. I had absolutely the hardest time trimming it out and going hands free with this plane. It's an absolute work of art, but I wonder if the flight model needs some adjusting...

OMGEDSON
Creator, TheSkyLounge.TV
OMGEDSON View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMGEDSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:04pm
CLIP FOR REFERENCE: https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulCleanLadiesBabyRage?tt_medium=creation
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the vid - have a look at this thread:
http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31751&KW=weather&title=hunter-instability-question

The whole thread is worth a read, but particularly my response in the sixth post should answer your question. The problem is Flightsim's depiction of the weather, not the aircraft!

Also, you mention that it would be trimmed out but the predominant motion is in the rolling axis and the C152 does not have aileron trim (away from all my manuals at the moment so it's a 99% certainty on my partWink) so there is no way of trimming anything out. If you follow the instructions in the linked thread you should find that rocking becomes a much more gentle and believable feeling of being airborne. 

Cheers,
Paul.
OMGEDSON View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMGEDSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:47pm
Correct, In that particular instance trimming out wouldn't affect the roll, the problem was for the duration of the flight I barely got a few seconds here and there of hands off the yoke time. Where trimming an aircraft gives you that ability to not nosedive, when there is a constant roll trimming it out just does nothing to help. 

I love the feel of it on approach, its absolutely incredible and feels pretty dang real (from experience). But at cruise, to not get any hands free time makes me think perhaps the effect of weather on THIS particular aircraft is a bit aggressive. Hundreds of other planes in my hangar don't have that feel at cruise.

This plane is a work of art Paul, and if you're behind it, KUDOS!

Edson
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:54pm
Try setting your turbulence and wind effects to about 15% - you can do it via the fsx/p3d.cfg file as referenced by Snave (thanks!) in that thread. That should give you an idea of how it was designed to fly in the sim.

It's a team effort, producing these. Thanks for the kudos, it's shared between a good groupBig smile
OMGEDSON View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMGEDSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:58pm
I use Active Sky, think that 15% should carry over the same?
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:37am
Yes, definitely. I use active sky myself and have set the scale for wind and turbulence in the menu there.
OMGEDSON View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMGEDSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:51pm
Copy that, will try it out and spread the word. And to be absolutely sure, this is the "Turbulence Effect Scale" slider?
GabethePilot View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:19pm
Also, would it be handy to have a passenger ?

I need to use a fake aileron trim to keep it level in still air. Tiring !

Not necessarily a bad thing - just artistic license.... ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic