This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC8_Switch2 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC8_Switch2 ?
    Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 10:49pm
Hi folks,
I'm pulling my hair out trying to find some data on this "DC8_Switch2.exe" file I have in the JF DC-8 folder. I've attempted to find it in the PDF manual, which apparently has no such word combinations coming close to that file name.

I'm afraid to run the file because of the obvious reasons, so can someone please tell me what  it's for? Thank you,
Rich
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
MSFS Premium for PC
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFD Panels
For Yoke Aircraft: Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo Yoke & Throttle
Crosswinds Pedals
Saitek Switch & Multi Panels
aspen31 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspen31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:08pm
Hi
I had time for only a bit of research but one site I found describes this "switch" as being related to uninstalling the DC-8
Here's the link

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/DC-8-Jetliner-Series-50-to-70-b9e58f8bf4f45b986baf5c1f2f79fb02-application.htm

Not much but perhaps a start.

Warren

Catspaw View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catspaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:19pm
Thank you! Though I don't think it is because the usual file name for an included removal program is almost always simply "Uninstall.exe", (still, it may be possible). The manual states that the aircraft should not be removed from the system with any method, other than through the "Programs & Features" selection, (in Windows).

However, I started thinking about the UI panel that allows the user to select, among other things, the sound of the fuel pump and a lower resolution texture set

Because the word "Switch2" is in the file name, I wonder if it's directly associated with that switch. Or, it may be the launch for those lower-res textures, if selected. Then again, the number "2" may mean that it's for both of those options...

I have several sim products that have those kind of 'mysterious and unmentioned, files'. They all cause me to question their purpose and maybe even more, they make me question why the developers didn't include any info about them.

I ran the JF DC-8 (50/70) aircraft on its max, 2048, resolution, which is the default. Therefore, unless you actually select the lower resolution option, it won't launch. 

In the case of the fuel pump sound, I clicked the option to change it and it was already in the altered state by default, which is where I wanted it. So in both cases, I didn't have to execute any change from the default installation and therefore, would not have triggered the "DC8_Switch2" program to launch.

At least, that's my best guess on the matter and I doubt that it's something I would critically need. As for the aircraft itself, I love it!!Clap

I think it's unusually light on the frame rates even at 2048 settings and I don't have an OOM alert to deal with!Tongue It sounds great and handles like 'big iron' would seem to handle. I have a number of high-dollar aircraft that are comprised of high-res textures, (to as much as 4096). 

With those other aircraft, I can still maintain the 32FPS, (which is my 'target' frame rate), but if I'm flying low, over some high-resolution scenery and mesh, (which is installed almost everywhere in the FSX platform), I run into an OOM situation pretty quickly.

Even with a liquid-cooled, i7-4790K (Devils Canyon), O/C'd to 5GHz, coupled with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, and mounted on an MSI Z97 MPower Max AC mobo, and FSX installed on a dedicated SSD to boot, (one of 5 internally mounted SSD's), I cannot escape that 'OOM bug' because it's got to do with the 32bit platform.

However, the DC-8 proves that there's a way to 'build a compromise' into the program's code, so yes, I like that DC-8Smile. I just realized that I ventured off topic, so I'd better stop here.

Thanks again for the reply!
Rich 
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
MSFS Premium for PC
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFD Panels
For Yoke Aircraft: Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo Yoke & Throttle
Crosswinds Pedals
Saitek Switch & Multi Panels
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic